Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 AM

710 posts, read 1,962,114 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for all the good insight and info and tips, guys! I can't tell you how reassured I was by your answers to my dopey questions--especially Neditate, who went above and beyond for me on Trip Advisor. I had read about the beetle/tree thing, I think here and maybe somewhere else. That just makes me feel sorry for the trees and more inclined to come visit. I'm sure we will be able to see the forest (and mountains) for the...something like that, anyway!!

We're moving along with the planning and the shelling out of dough. My plan is to have most of the trip paid for before we even head to the airport. Painful now but it will be much more fun later. I cannot even imagine how much more $$ we would be spending if we had turned this into a traditional Colorado ski vacation--except that I did one of those "trip planners" at the Southwest Airlines site and it said a full package deal for Breckenridge "starts at just $12,600!" Ahhhhhhhh. Not for us, it doesn't! Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 02:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,090,525 times
While in Grand Lake you can add a ski day in Winter Park for about $126 (for two)

Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,383 times
Or even closer, less expensive and less crowded Sol Vista in Granby http://www.solvista.com/ski/index_ski.asp

PS you are welcome Wordy! : )

Last edited by Neditate; 09-25-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: correct link

Old 09-26-2008, 01:45 AM

188 posts, read 934,033 times
The Stanley Hotel is haunted. My son and I went on a ghost tour there
last month and one of the pictures he took of the closed door to room 217
had a clearly visible face in front of it, definitely a ghost posing for him. I was
right there when he took it and didn't see a thing until I saw the picture later.
Thought it was pretty cool.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:20 PM

279 posts, read 674,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Estes Park, CO can be lovely come winter. Particularly after a good snow when all is muted and accented in white. Not a sure thing, but possible. The town always puts out Christmas decorations and many beautiful lights. Cold of course, but with far fewer tourists than summer it can be a tranquil and enchanting time of year.

The Stanley Hotel keeps fires burning at least part of the time in the hotel lobby, and you can snuggle up there in one of several stuffed chairs. There won't be any crazy caretakers, the hotel is close to downtown, and you'll be sharing it with at least a few other guests. Some of them may be ghosts. Depending on your interest in such things, choose a room that is more or less likely to have such guests. Chances are you won't notice anything.

As others have mentioned Trail Ridge Road is closed in the winter so you'll have to travel the long way around to get to Grand Lake, CO. The best route is probably via Berthoud Pass, and through Grandby, CO. The roads may or not be clear, but unlike in 'The Shining' they do plow them regularly. With a proper vehicle and care you should be fine. Do check in advance though as Berthoud Pass can be closed briefly at times due weather. I-70 as well, for that matter.

One thing about Grand Lake. The entire region has been near devastated by pine beetles with most of the lodgepole pine trees (which predominate, at the moment) dead or dying. If a heavy snow cover, perhaps you won't notice. Estes Park is suffering the same thing, only to a lesser extent at the moment. This just a FYI in case it would have any bearing on your vacation plans.

Otherwise, this area (certain spots for sure) can be truly magical at times.
I live in Grand Lake and the directions are correct. Trail Ridge Road is closed and the best route would be over Berthound Pass.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the pine beetles in Grand Lake. Yes they are there and have killed off a lot of trees but in winter it's not that obvious and with all the festivities going on it's probably the last thing you will be looking at. You can make a day of skiing just 30min down the road to Winter Park. Snowmobiling is a must. Grand Lake has some of the best trails in Colorado and you can ride in town straight from your door step. The town on New Years Eve is like one big party and there are fireworks on at midnight over the lake. You will have a great time. I know I'm looking forward to it...

Old 12-19-2008, 12:28 AM

26 posts, read 46,385 times
september 23 1949 bruce springstien my "walk on buy (by)" estes park their along time ago the hotel i followed what bruce did the fact my wife and i didn't have anymore then a tent and a nice car vw you know the 70's johnnie we call jack is a ambassor for the uss huston texas in the usn.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:39 AM

197 posts, read 797,286 times
What?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM

710 posts, read 1,962,114 times
Well, the first part, I get--I think September 23rd is Bruce Springsteen's birthday (oddly enough, I am the person who started the thread and 9/23 is my birthday, too, just a little tad later than 1949). I sort of followed the second part but I got stuck on the "Walk on by" part because I thought that was Dionne Warwick. After that, I sort of got lost, too.

But you know what? WEDNESDAY. Yup! Wednesday we will be there. I just got back from buying the Colorado guidebook for them to open early on Wednesday morning.

Ack! I need to pack!

We ended up booking a day of ski lessons at Sol Vista. They have night skiing and tubing there next weekend, so that sounded like fun. I hope I don't break myself!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 PM

26 posts, read 46,385 times
Default English

english rest in first in 'this' case in the prior 'line' the 'what' was a good way to say i don't understand. My spelling is like chicken scratch like tubing (maybe a hot tub or a inner tube down the mountain side) i know chickenhead fits me like a glove to keep me warm. That way i can't be scattered brain all over. Ms warwick is a artist i havn't seen or heard for long time. I like bob denver in his rocket mountain high, just like park, wednesday is a day for the adams family they some of their filming summer camp in and around este park a family of the namesake is a clearwater bail bondsman of late 90's al este.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMagic View Post
What?
My thoughts exactly! Wow.
Anyway...
Wordy, I replied to your post on TA as well. We have lots of snow and I know you will have a blast. I hope the temperatures warm up a little for ya though. It's been arctic-like
Safe travels and have a very Merry Christmas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado