Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 07:06 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times

Advertisements

Which would be better for semi retired, telecommuter? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 08:12 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Neither.
Lack of: medical services, shopping…

Old 12-09-2023, 08:52 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
If I were looking for an Eastern Plains town to set up shop in while WFH, Fort Morgan, Sterling, and Brush would be my top 3. Fort Morgan and Brush are only about an hour from Denver. Sterling is another 30 mins up I-76. Sterling and Fort Morgan are bigger than Lamar and La Junta, and Brush is right nextdoor to Fort Morgan.

The Arkansas Valley gets really hot in the summer. Triple digit heat is common in July and August. The northeastern plains are a little cooler.

If you're dead set on those two choices, though, I'd probably pick Lamar.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:24 PM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Dax, I'm confused by this thread given your thread in Northern VA seeking a walkable place with excellent medical care and good groceries. IMO there are ZERO of those aspects out on the eastern plains of Colorado.

We'd like to help but not sure what your requirements are . . .
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Dax, I'm confused by this thread given your thread in Northern VA seeking a walkable place with excellent medical care and good groceries. IMO there are ZERO of those aspects out on the eastern plains of Colorado.

We'd like to help but not sure what your requirements are . . .
Am also looking for a place for my parents....

Old 12-10-2023, 09:51 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Am also looking for a place for my parents....
Thank you. Your parents would be in good shape in No VA. I lived there 30 years and it's fine, though crowded and expensive. Lots of good medical care there, like Fairfax Hospital -- but good medical care is also true of Scottsdale with its branch of the Mayo Clinic, or Cleveland, OH which is far more affordable and near the esteemed Cleveland Clinic. What I like about our Phoenix metro area is there's a whole ton of services here for seniors no matter what issues a senior may have, but from memory I'd have to say there's not that much senior care around No VA as it's a big bedroom community for DC and oriented to an active workforce.

As far as Lamar or La Junta, my guess is they're as good as any other place in the exurban hinterlands of America. We're in our 70s and decided to stay near a major city with its medical options. We hibernate here just fine, surrounded by all that suburbia and a major metro has to offer, but otherwise alone.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-10-2023, 02:59 PM

We moved to DC in late 63. Arna Valley Apartments, then a 16 thousand dollar rambler built by Edward Carr in Springfield. The thing is, as Fairfax grew with townhouses by the thousands, senior living was never pondered. Inova Fairfax is world class...but still totally car oriented. I even looked in 20007 dc..expensive with crime..but pretty close to med care...but interesting culture. We are 25 miles from UVA ...which is just too far..cville is townhouse hell..too many stairs. Construction quality is poor. Prices high and rising...crime is an issue, too.

Now, back to Lamar...what if you added Raton to the choices? I suppose that would bring up the new Mexico VS Colorado question...

Old 12-10-2023, 03:31 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
In terms of community (and overall QOL), I think I'd pick La Junta. Somewhat more diversified economy due to Otero Junior College (which has a really nice little campus, by the way) and an overall friendlier vibe every time I've stopped on my travels. I drive through fairly frequently and am always a little charmed by it. Of course, I grew up in a small farm town. You'd also only be two hours from COS and an hour from Pueblo for more major shopping options.

In terms of climate and weather, I'd pick Raton in a heartbeat over the other two, but it's definitely more rundown than either La Junta or Lamar. Much prettier surroundings, but it's just too rough around the edges currently to get my vote. Personally I think it's poised to have a comeback due to its location, but that could be decades out. As an investment, maybe. But don't hold me to that.

Nothing wrong with Lamar per-se, but it feels pretty isolated and has a somewhat 'sadder' vibe (in my opinion) compared to La Junta. You've also got the smell of the stockyards. It is closer to Garden City, KS, though, which is a nice town in its own right.

Looks like you're picking towns based on their availability for Amtrak service, which all three have. I believe La Junta has the biggest station with the best parking, though it looks like Raton's was under construction recently according to Google Maps.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:26 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Lamar has a little more infrastructure for itself, La Junta is closer to bigger areas like Pueblo and Colorado Springs, and to me feels more community-like. Too hot in summer for me, personally.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:36 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
a few years ago there was an article about like minded conservative republican people that were retiring to Colorado City , Co which is avery small town south of Pueblo on I-25 , They wanted to get out of the Denver area they said , live a quieter life they said , in a less expensive place they said , well you know what that means right ? it is not affordable anymore because it got the attention of the media .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado