Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2022, 06:18 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Cañon City, not Canon City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLa83lqBKKU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2022, 07:05 AM

3,875 posts, read 4,703,581 times
In planning your trip, whether or not it actually ends up including Colorado and any other Western state, I'd advise that you carefully consider the air quality issue prompted by the increasingly severe and long-lasting Western fire season beforehand.

Last summer my step sister, when speaking about the horrible air quality she and her family endured north of Denver said, "At least we had beautiful sunsets!"

Like that really matters when you are breathing in putrid, smoky air...

Old 05-26-2022, 09:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Also, if you plan to do any outdoor mountain activities, June is thunderstorm season. The general rule of thumb is get an early start and be off the mountain by 1 PM.
The entire summer is t-storm season in the CO mountains. Used to be that in late summer they would taper off, but there were some years that the monsoon storms started in May and occurred all the way through September. You can’t be too sure of any hot month being good for avoiding them. Watch the actual conditions every day and check all forecasts daily, too.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:03 AM

491 posts, read 396,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
Aside from Royal Gorge tourists and groups rafting the Arkansas River, Canon City isn't particularly crowded; at present, it's more of a gateway than a destination. If you plan to stay in a hotel though, book early. There are only a couple of what I consider to be decent hotels in town and they fill up quickly.
I have a room already. Not a name brand hotel but the reviews are very good. If the wife were with me I'd likely go with something even nicer but it is just me so as long as I can sleep I am good.

Old 05-26-2022, 10:14 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,069,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryfreak View Post
My trip is still fluid at this point and I am still open to ideas keeping in mind I have limited time to do this.
If there's popular place you really want to visit, you can avoid the big crowds by visiting early in the morning, and to a lesser extent later in the day.

I've done this on a visit to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I stayed overnight in Flagstaff and woke up early enough to drive north to the park and see the sunrise over the canyon. A few hours later I'm sure the entrance was closed to car traffic. Once the parking lots are full you are required to ride a bus into the park.

Similar story... a few years ago we were visiting Bryce Canyon. Parking was very challenging during the middle of the day, but around 5pm there were lots of spots available at every viewpoint.

Old 05-26-2022, 12:19 PM

557 posts, read 1,676,814 times
Quote:
I have a room already. Not a name brand hotel but the reviews are very good. If the wife were with me I'd likely go with something even nicer but it is just me so as long as I can sleep I am good.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:58 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,944,693 times
Quote:
Kind of feel like I have my own stalker here. "Pay-per-byte internet". Is that even a thing? My trip is still fluid at this point and I am still open to ideas keeping in mind I have limited time to do this. I plan on driving and stopping where I can in hopes of some great pics. Some of your suggestions were certainly good but you also were suggesting routes nowhere near where I was discussing. I do appreciate the suggestions and I'll keep reading them but I also will not have the time to vary off course very much so I want to find some great areas along the possible paths I have chosen.
I read your earlier thread and now this one, and I guess, I'm a bit confused. Will Phoenix to Pagosa Springs be the first leg of your trip? Then will you go from Pagosa to Cañon City/Canon City/Canyon City (whichever spelling makes our friend davebarnes happy)? Or have we convinced you that you should see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison? And Are you comfortable driving some rather breath taking mountain highways or do you prefer highways which have been tamed as much as possible?

The end of June can go either way weather-wise in Colorado. Generally, the monsoon season does not start until mid July or so, but it has been known to start much earlier. Here's a quick guide to the 2022 Colorado monsoon season (for what it's worth).

If it were me, I wouldn't worry too much about the monsoon hitting in June. If it's summer in Colorado, there will be plenty of tourists. Those caveats aside, this is the route I would suggest.

From Phoenix get on I-10 W and then follow I-17 N, US-89 N and US-160 E to Kayenta and turn north on Highway 163. This will take you through the Monument Valley area which is not to be missed. After you finish taking a 1,000 or so pix at Monument Valley, continue on 163 until you reach Bluff, Utah and at Bluff turn on 191 to Monticello, Utah. At Monticello turn on 491 east to Dove Creek, CO. Bit of trivia: Highway 491 was once US Route 666, but there were objections to that name, so in 2003, it became boring old 491. However, I STILL call it "the Devil's Highway, myself. By whatever name, continue on this road until you hit the town of Cortez.

Now, unless you completely want to re-do your itinerary, I'm sorry to say that you are just going to have to skip Mesa Verde which is a great shame. But you need to allocate the better part of a day to drive up to the top of the mesa where Mesa Verde is located and then spending some time exploring the ruins. Either come back to the Four Corners at a later date, or else skip going to see the Black Canyon. Me, I'd pick Mesa Verde, but then I'm prejudiced.

From Cortez, you have your choice of two routes - the Million Dollar Highway or the San Juan Skyway.

San Juan Skyway: At Cortez, you can turn off 160 Highway to 145 north. This route is known as the San Juan Skyway and is downright beautiful. It leads through the towns of Dolores, Rico, and the resort town of Telluride. Walk around Telluride to stretch your legs and take in the scenery. Do NOT go into any tourist stores as the prices may give you a heart attack at the very least.

From Dolores head to Ridgeway, as others have suggested. Ridgeway is a welcoming small town with some good spots to eat. It's also close to Ouray which is a bit out of your way, but worth the few extra miles - really, really nice mountain town.

I suggest that you stay in Ouray (or Ridgway) for the night. You will have done quite a bit of driving by then and chances are that you will be exhausted. You can continue on to the Black Canyon and Cañon City the next day.

Million Dollar Highway: This is one of my most favorite drives in Colorado. The road is well maintained, but its sharp curves and the occasional drop-off right next to the lane you're in can be a tad disconcerting for novice mountain drivers. It is also well traveled in the summer, but there are lots of places where people can pull off to take pictures and admire the scenery. The Million Dollar also leads to Ouray and beyond.

Other posters have also said this, but I think you are really biting off more than you can chew. You just want to see too many things in too short a time. Your memories are probably going to be of that never ending white line streaming past your car and then getting held up by "Ma and Pa Kettle" doing 5 mph over some mountain pass.

The country you will be driving through deserves more than a quick glance in your rear view window as you tick off yet another tourist destination on your must see bucket list.

Old 05-28-2022, 04:06 AM

If this were the object of my vacation I would agree with you. We're there (AZ) to spend time with our son and youngest grandchild. Once my wife flies home I will take a couple days from the Phoenix area up past Flagstaff and eventually into Co. I've spent time working in Co in both Colorado Springs as well as Denver and spent some quality time in and around the Rockies. This time I want to see things like Monument Valley and other areas even though it will be a rather quick trip. I then need to start driving back cross country to VA. Believe me, I'd love to take more time in all of this gorgeous area but that will hopefully be another trip for both my wife and I. I'll at least get a nice taste of the area and it will have to satiate me until me can return. I was lucky enough to be in a job that took me around the US as well as numerous countries before retiring so I've been fortunate so this "shorter" trip will at least prime me to want to come back and enjoy more.

And by the way. I did shorten that first days driving some and will now stay in Cortez vs Pagosa Springs. I believe this is something like 2 hours less driving going east allowing me more time to slow down in certain areas. I'll drop the wife off around 3 am or so at the airport then drive straight to Desert View Watchtower then go from there. It was be dark of course for the first couple/few hours of driving so I'll just cruise for a bit.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:02 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,712,075 times
The drive up to Cortez from the four corners isn’t particularly interesting and Cortez is a little scruffy, but once you are east of there towards Mesa Verde, some of the best of Colorado emerges.

Old 05-29-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The drive up to Cortez from the four corners isn’t particularly interesting and Cortez is a little scruffy, but once you are east of there towards Mesa Verde, some of the best of Colorado emerges.
I know nothing about Cortez but it is just a layover for me for the end of a long day. The next day I start out early again and hope to see some good sites such as Mesa Verde.

EDIT: What is it with City Data not allowing you to rep someone that you may have repped in recent weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado