Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 11:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,190,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do you really think most people would LIVE like that permanently, as opposed to going for a boat trip or other temporary living situation?
We monitor our home water usage.

Long term average is 7 gal / day for (2) adults in a huge rural home.

I have renters that use over 100g / day EACH for family of 5.

Most adult tenants use ~ 20 - 40g / day.

National building / septic code is to provide 100g / day / person,

Irrigation is another issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2022, 06:49 AM

5,367 posts, read 5,158,355 times
This article here:

https://stacker.com/stories/3989/how...last-100-years

succinctly shows EXACTLY why there's a water crisis, the farmed acreage has remained roughly constant since 1920, but WHERE it happens has shifted significantly. Essentially the entirety of the eastern US has given up farmland (which reverted to forest) while the arid west and plains have soaken up what the east used to farm. Case in point, Arizona had 5.8 million acres farmed in 1920, that's now up to 26.2 million acres.

So, all that irrigated farmland is what allows Georgia to have so many darn trees now. The below picture was farmland 100 years ago, look at it now. So on one hand we do have a crisis out west, but that overexploitation is what's allowed the eastern US to literally bounce back biologically.

Old 05-21-2022, 12:35 PM

335 posts, read 423,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do you really think most people would LIVE like that permanently, as opposed to going for a boat trip or other temporary living situation?
They're not going to have a choice, at some point. It's either that or have no water at all.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:11 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,727,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
They're not going to have a choice, at some point. It's either that or have no water at all.
I am not opposing reductions in water use, just stating that if GeoffD’s amounts were imposed on people now, there would be a lot of violations, to say the least.

People keep wishing for tech miracles to save them from having to conserve, whether water, fuel, or any resource at all. I can’t believe the lengths to which US residents go to avoid mere inconvenience.

And you can be sure any water conservation program would be distorted into a political issue (blame game) rather than an all-encompassing, long-term, universal need to change.

Old 05-21-2022, 08:45 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,084,107 times
Water conservation can be coerced with tiered water rates. See Lafayette’s example:

https://www.lafayetteco.gov/2722/Res...al-Water-Rates

Old 05-25-2022, 11:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,755,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As an RE agent, the guy you talked to is heavily invested in denial. His career depends on it. Thanks for posting.
I wish I believed that, but it is a common thought process in Arizona. Mesa just went to tier 1 water restrictions, which means the city itself plans to cut water usage by 5% due to the drought. No restrictions on homeowners or private businesses, and it is that way throughout the valley.

I live next to a guy with a full back yard of Kentucky blue grass, he waters daily. The water here is tiered cost so he pays more for the higher usage, but he said he has never heard of restrictions only allowing watering at certain times on certain days. He couldn't believe that everywhere I have lived in Colorado for the last 30 years has those restrictions every summer.

A lot of Arizona residents believe that Colorado is holding out water on them and that when the drought gets worse Colorado will be forced to pay up. Between pools, yards, and golf courses I would bet that the Phoenix metro area uses more water than the entire Colorado front range, and yet it isn't enough for them here.

Old 05-25-2022, 02:25 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,257,689 times
I always assumed the water war would be between California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah. Colorado could just "lay low"..

This must be making recreational boaters on Blue Mesa happy.. Not really "holding out"..

https://www.cpr.org/2022/05/18/blue-...s-lake-powell/

Quote:
The marinas at Colorado’s largest reservoir will stay closed this boating season because of the looming possibility that Lake Powell on the Utah-Arizona border might need more water

Old 05-25-2022, 04:41 PM

18,243 posts, read 25,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I always assumed the water war would be between California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah. Colorado could just "lay low"..

This must be making recreational boaters on Blue Mesa happy.. Not really "holding out"..

https://www.cpr.org/2022/05/18/blue-...s-lake-powell/

I've been through hwy 50 many a time, Walt is right. No boats on Blue Mesa, was through there last week on my way back home. And the reservoir itself? As low as I've ever seen it.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:37 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,961,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I wish I believed that, but it is a common thought process in Arizona. Mesa just went to tier 1 water restrictions, which means the city itself plans to cut water usage by 5% due to the drought. No restrictions on homeowners or private businesses, and it is that way throughout the valley.

I live next to a guy with a full back yard of Kentucky blue grass, he waters daily. The water here is tiered cost so he pays more for the higher usage, but he said he has never heard of restrictions only allowing watering at certain times on certain days. He couldn't believe that everywhere I have lived in Colorado for the last 30 years has those restrictions every summer.

A lot of Arizona residents believe that Colorado is holding out water on them and that when the drought gets worse Colorado will be forced to pay up. Between pools, yards, and golf courses I would bet that the Phoenix metro area uses more water than the entire Colorado front range, and yet it isn't enough for them here.
The Colorado Front Range is NOT in any way a poster child for good water stewardship. Almost everybody has Kentucky bluegrass lawns - not just one or 2 neighbors (its probably Bermuda or another warm season turf grass in Phoenix but no matter). I’m also not familiar with any Front Range city that has water restrictions every summer - can you enlighten me on this? Maybe once every 10 years if we are in a prolonged drought. Not defending Phoenix here but just pointing out that the Front Range is just as wasteful when it comes to water. And since half of our water supply comes from the Colorado River Basin, we’re not going to be able to dodge this bullet anymore then the downstream states in the southwest are.

Old 05-27-2022, 05:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You have a point there and the fact that Arizona is a heavily Republican state doesn't help matters. Forbidden words like "climate change" never pass anyone's lips.
Arizona is no longer heavily Republican. It's a swing state now. Besides, politics matter very little when it comes to the water situation. Arizona attracts a fair share of weather weary transplants who move primarily for a sunny, warm climate. Unfortunately, many of these transplants aren't very blessed in the intelligence department, and they don't realize that all that sunshine, warmth, and lack of precipitation which they moved for has contributed to the drought conditions. "Duhhhh, what drought? As long as water flows from the faucet, everything is just fine & dandy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This article here:

https://stacker.com/stories/3989/how...last-100-years

succinctly shows EXACTLY why there's a water crisis, the farmed acreage has remained roughly constant since 1920, but WHERE it happens has shifted significantly. Essentially the entirety of the eastern US has given up farmland (which reverted to forest) while the arid west and plains have soaken up what the east used to farm. Case in point, Arizona had 5.8 million acres farmed in 1920, that's now up to 26.2 million acres.

So, all that irrigated farmland is what allows Georgia to have so many darn trees now. The below picture was farmland 100 years ago, look at it now. So on one hand we do have a crisis out west, but that overexploitation is what's allowed the eastern US to literally bounce back biologically.
Much of the land used for farming in Arizona took place in the mid 20th Century (after WWII). Arizona has less farm land now compared to 20+ years ago due to developers buying out, bulldozing, and replacing agriculture with large master planned communities. This is especially true on the outskirts of metro Phoenix where a lot of farm land and open desert have become sprawling suburbia.

Being mostly an arid state, Arizona really has no business having so much farm land, especially in the desert regions. We need farms for our food supply, but many of Arizona's farms ship products out of state and don't serve much benefit to local residents. Also, agriculture consumes a whopping 74% of the available water supply in Arizona. I'm really not a big fan of sprawl development, but it would actually save water to get rid of most of the remaining agriculture in Maricopa & Pinal Counties & replace it with housing, shopping, and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado