Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 07:03 PM

185 posts, read 461,394 times

Advertisements

I am just signing on with an agent to buy out there. We lived and worked in a number of towns from expensive Basalt to smelly Fort Morgan for a bit over 3 years pre-pandemic.

Tell me about your city! I've gathered there's awesome disc golfing, hiking, mountain biking, and diversity. Seems like there's an art scene, live music things, and tons to do generally in and just out of town. Obviously can't afford the tourist town life we led when we had lived in our airstream (sold), but know we can be happy in a place similar to where we're living in Iowa City but with legal cannabis.

We're gamers, met through gaming online actually from different states, and still would like to participate in both online and board game (perhaps even DnD) sessions!

Tell me your opinions on the city, it's areas, where you would not buy, where you would go to hang out or recreate, anything pertinent to this city If my research proves correct, Xfinity is the major internet supplier, and fiber is being laid through various places, we've never had fiber, but currently enjoy spotty city service at 50mbs at it's best and do everything we need at that.

So far as work goes, Husband is remote nowadays, though we both worked locally when we lived there in various hospitality, manual labor and security positions, plus cannabis industry stuff (which launched us into a near partnership with a retired diplomat in Maryland, but we bailed after my cat ran away...long harsh story.) So he has an income to support us, but I would be interested in either lab work, or cannabis work to supplement if needed. I've not had experience in retail, more administrative and cultivation, but open to opportunities. I know I can search Indeed for that if needed, but folks like to discuss work when discussing locality, and I love the cultivation part of growing. (Our best grow pics are on my other laptop, forgive me, had 2 phones stolen while in CO..)

Tell me your thoughts on the area!

*also, is it common for SFH's to not have W/D hookups? I didn't think I'd have to add that to my "need" list, but here we are, having had a walkthrough with no visible indication or disclosure of hookups existing?

*also, we currently have Google Fi for phone service, don't know how it does in your area, but clearly had disconnections in the narrow valley's on our visit last year through our old stomping grounds through Summit/Grand County. Recommendations that are more cost effective with devices better than our Pixel 3's? I miss my old Samsung Notes.
Attached Thumbnails
Folks from Pueblo, hit it up!-20171204_175420.jpg   Folks from Pueblo, hit it up!-20171110_170255.jpg  

Last edited by Plainswalker; 04-12-2022 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: * additional stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 07:37 PM

8,501 posts, read 8,794,511 times
Not a ton of currently active forum members from city of Pueblo. There are plenty of past threads though that might answer some of your questions. Opinions from insiders, nearby and former residents and outsiders.

Hope you get some current feedback as well.

Top couple of links here https://www.google.com/search?q=pueb...obile&ie=UTF-8
on local table top gamers. Might find digital gamers among them.

Look into neighborhood level crime data before you buy. Can find some discussion of topic if you load search words for Pueblo and crime.

Some people prefer Pueblo West for style of house, land and other reasons.

There might be newspaper / magazine articles, Facebook groups of relevance for cannabis industry in Pueblo.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-14-2022 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-17-2022, 10:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,392,226 times
I've got to say that I've never heard Pueblo described as awesome for disc golfing, hiking, mountain biking, diversity, art scene, live music, and tons of things to do in general. Obviously it has enough to do as the population there tends to be very stable. However, there is a story inside that simple word - stable. Pueblo's growth rate nearly matches its death rate and its population is a diminishing curve of young to old. It does lead the state in teenage pregnancies for larger cities, and this is tending to trend the population younger. The vast majority of the population is centered around high school graduates and some college with not a lot of degreed professionals. The crime rates tend to be higher than average as well. Because of the stable, older, homegrown population, it can sometimes be unwelcoming and unfriendly to outsiders.

On the other hand, it has numerous historical neighborhoods, which is great if you like that era of housing. Of course that can mean grand Victorians but also simple, small, old worker housing that was fairly in-ornate for the period. Pueblo, IMO, feels like it got stuck in the 1970s only with cell phones, computers, and modern cars. There are still numerous small, local businesses, a sense of community in many places. It has some of the oldest and deepest running high school sports rivalries west of the Mississippi. Access to the Arkansas River means it will not face some of the drought issues other cities may have in the future. It does seem to have a higher than average activity rate in some arts, and with you background in cannabis, will be much friendlier towards employment than many other places.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:26 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I don't live in Pueblo, I live between Pueblo and the Springs.

I haven't heard about the disc golfing, but I would agree there is decent hiking/biking and diversity - depending on if you expect it right in the city or within a reasonable drive. There is a bit of an art scene. I don't know anything about the gaming scene.

I think things are pretty quiet in terms of Pueblo being a "happening" place. I would make sure you look at crime maps, etc. I have a friend who lives in Bessemer area and is always have crime problems in his neighborhood. I think if I were looking in Pueblo I'd look around the university or north end in general.

I don't have any input on the Internet quality down there.

If you haven't been to Pueblo, I strongly encourage you to go down and spend at least a week looking around. Like any place, it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea and how it looks on paper may not mean much to how it feels to you when you're there.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:11 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
That is a lot of questions lol

There is disc golf at the city park but I have never played. There is hiking near Beulah at the Pueblo Mountain Park(I take my dogs there) and mountain biking by the reservoir. There is a good art scene and first Fridays is fun. There is a decent local music scene and the state fair brings in big acts and memorial hall gets musicals and some big acts.

Pueblo has Xfinty and I play VR on it and never have issues.

PCC is building a nursing school at St Mary Crowin Medical center so they might need lab workers but IDK. Also Pueblo does have a lot of jobs in the MJ industry.

The area not to live in are the east side and Bessemer.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:42 PM

185 posts, read 461,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I've got to say that I've never heard Pueblo described as awesome for disc golfing, hiking, mountain biking, diversity, art scene, live music, and tons of things to do in general. Obviously it has enough to do as the population there tends to be very stable. However, there is a story inside that simple word - stable. Pueblo's growth rate nearly matches its death rate and its population is a diminishing curve of young to old. It does lead the state in teenage pregnancies for larger cities, and this is tending to trend the population younger. The vast majority of the population is centered around high school graduates and some college with not a lot of degreed professionals. The crime rates tend to be higher than average as well. Because of the stable, older, homegrown population, it can sometimes be unwelcoming and unfriendly to outsiders.

On the other hand, it has numerous historical neighborhoods, which is great if you like that era of housing. Of course that can mean grand Victorians but also simple, small, old worker housing that was fairly in-ornate for the period. Pueblo, IMO, feels like it got stuck in the 1970s only with cell phones, computers, and modern cars. There are still numerous small, local businesses, a sense of community in many places. It has some of the oldest and deepest running high school sports rivalries west of the Mississippi. Access to the Arkansas River means it will not face some of the drought issues other cities may have in the future. It does seem to have a higher than average activity rate in some arts, and with you background in cannabis, will be much friendlier towards employment than many other places.
I mean, I've lived in Fort Morgan for a handful of months, and in an unincorporated part of Grand County for a few years... if you've been to Fort Morgan, it was probably to attend a funeral or get fuel. Basically all they got. Maybe my bar is set low compared to some

Don't have kiddos or plan on them, or dating them for that matter. ha. Teen pregnancy to me means more access/education needed on birth control. But a stable population isn't bad, I've looked at a few "bust" towns (losing thousands of people every census) as well.

The period of housing there is intriguing, I love the adobe style too! I definitely prefer to see different houses throughout a street rather than cookie-cutter neighborhoods. Wild to see landline phones with cords in some RE listings. I've got a friend out here who bought a Victorian style home, absolutely stunning place, she absolutely buys and re-upholsters antique furniture to go with it all.

My agent just texted today about a place next to a new high school being built, don't know if it's to replace one, or accommodate more kiddos, but new schools seems like a good sign to me.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:55 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
I mean, I've lived in Fort Morgan for a handful of months, and in an unincorporated part of Grand County for a few years... if you've been to Fort Morgan, it was probably to attend a funeral or get fuel. Basically all they got. Maybe my bar is set low compared to some

Don't have kiddos or plan on them, or dating them for that matter. ha. Teen pregnancy to me means more access/education needed on birth control. But a stable population isn't bad, I've looked at a few "bust" towns (losing thousands of people every census) as well.

The period of housing there is intriguing, I love the adobe style too! I definitely prefer to see different houses throughout a street rather than cookie-cutter neighborhoods. Wild to see landline phones with cords in some RE listings. I've got a friend out here who bought a Victorian style home, absolutely stunning place, she absolutely buys and re-upholsters antique furniture to go with it all.

My agent just texted today about a place next to a new high school being built, don't know if it's to replace one, or accommodate more kiddos, but new schools seems like a good sign to me.
Josseppie and I actually live here so, we know what it's like to actually live here.

We do have crime.

Some folks like to key on that when talking about Pueblo. It seems to me CoSprings up the Front range throughout Denver and all the way up to Fort Collins has crime too.

We learn to live with and amongst it. I stay away from the bars on Northern after 11:59 pm and stuff like that. It seems to work for me.

Pueblo is a financially depressed area and a good percentage of its citizens are at poverty level. But if you have a decent job, it goes a tiny bit further here than perhaps up the "Front Range".

I don't worry about teen pregnancy as my wife and I are without kids, on purpose. Birth control is interesting to some, but some in town are not Recovered Catholics such as I and ignorance can be passed on yada yada.

Xfinity and all that, probably pretty easy to get in parts of Pueblo. If you want to go to Pueblo West for newer and potentially better housing with a bit of land as well, you may want to consider the side north of Hwy 50. South of 50 is icky around Purcell but gets nicer as you get towards the Reservoir and west, but things are underground there and their ain't no coax in some areas.

Yes, we have disc golf at that park near Thatcher or Goodnight and just east of the Bvld, Pueblo Blvd.

Josseppie mentioned Beulah for hiking, but he always forgets the area west of Colorado City called Rye, San Isabel, and the Bishops Castle area for some awesome trailheads.

Pueblo West by the reservoir has some pretty good bike trails and those go a bit through town and are hopefully improving as time goes on. We have a nice little kayak park in town between the Union Historic District and the Mesa Junction area too. We have CSUP or CSU Pueblo University and PCC Pueblo Community College too.

We have a bunch of dispensaries in Pueblo West and now a certain amount in Pueblo proper and don't forget "The Mesa". I don't imbibe myself anymore because I'm a recovered alcoholic who's found a different but spiritual path, yet my stomach growls when I smell the strong bud while driving by or anywhere near a grow in Pueblo West. I never disliked the smell of the unsmoked product. Pueblo County is not the only game in town wrt that obviously.

In Pueblo, when it comes to housing, there are some diamonds in the rough. If it was me, and I wanted to buy a pad in Pueblo proper, and could afford it, I'd look around El Camino, other places around west of Northern but way west of the Blvd, all around St Clair and south of that golf course by streets like Amherst and the "collegiate" named streets, maybe Aberdeen, up by Eagle Ridge for new housing, maybe some places near Belmont and up around Walking Stick but not too close to East High School, the Mesa, parts of Pueblo West. There's a few nice properties here and there near Parkview Hospital and over by Mesa Junction perhaps. I'd stay away from Bessemer and the lower east side, the west side as you go west of the State Hospital, but some nice places by Centennial High School.

Those are some of my opinions.

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2022, 07:00 PM

Thanks Mike From Back East.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:03 PM

557 posts, read 1,675,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Josseppie mentioned Beulah for hiking, but he always forgets the area west of Colorado City called Rye, San Isabel, and the Bishops Castle area for some awesome trailheads.
+1 on that. Pueblo Mountain Park, near Beulah, PALES in comparison to those areas you mentioned. There is also a lot of great hiking in nearby Fremont County.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherman9901 View Post
+1 on that. Pueblo Mountain Park, near Beulah, PALES in comparison to those areas you mentioned. There is also a lot of great hiking in nearby Fremont County.
Well Bartlett trail takes you pretty much straight up to the peak of Mt Baldy of Greenhorn Mountain of the Wet Mountain range there, St Charles Trail will take you all the way up as well to the saddleback and Mt Baldy area and there are trailheads along 165 as well. Then to the southwest and the Huerfano County edge there is a trail that goes all the way up to Apache Falls. I'm sure Fremont County has good ones, but also Custer County around Westcliffe/Silvercliffe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado