Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 08:23 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncherBier View Post
What? We're moving back to Colorado to get away from the mosquitos! I don't remember any stinking bugs out there.
Mosquitos exist in CO, and in horrid densities in some places. I have unfond memories of bugbite hll in Steamboat Springs, Winter Park, and Grand Mesa. Wetter and greener brings ‘em out in force.

They aren’t as bad as in some other parts of the US where I’ve gone, but they are by no means “not in Colorado”. That’s another whopping exaggeration (putting it very nicely), similar to “The snow goes away the next day!”

Don’t forget deerflies and so-called cedar gnats.

Realtorspeak, tourismspeak, usedcarsalesmanspeak...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 09:57 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Quote:
What? We're moving back to Colorado to get away from the mosquitos! I don't remember any stinking bugs out there.
The mosquitoes in the SLV are real and can make the mountains a real drag during wet summers. Ticks have seem to become more prevalent (at least in the Sangres in my experience) in recent years, as well. Nothing like the east coast, but they’re around.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
How long ago?

We had the mosquito sprayer (fogger) do our entire town during the 1960's
I got my case of West Nile in Colorado during 2003 (Along with more than 3,000 others)

Bring your DEET.
https://www.cdc.gov/westnile/statsma...tate-2021.html

Old 02-04-2022, 07:20 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Both pikabike and stealthRabbit are right on the mosquito issue. I live a quarter mile from the Colorado River and when I do some outdoor yard work I'm ready for the little bleeps! Grand Mesa hits the bell regarding the mosquitos IMO.

Use Deet--you'll be glad you did!

Old 02-04-2022, 08:45 AM

Here's a relevant article from today from the Colorado Sun. It discusses the dispersed camping in Chaffee County and how it's gotten out of control. I've only lived in Colorado for 7 years, but this matches what I've experienced. I still enjoy hiking in the Collegiates, but getting back to Winfield, or Brown's Creek, or Cottonwood Canyon, or Shavano on weekends now? It's just a madhouse all summer long. Go on a weekday or don't bother unless you're not bothered by the crowds.

In addition to more recreational traffic, you've got an increasing number of local workers that can't afford housing that have opted to camp instead. These are the people I truly feel bad for. I think it was in 2016 or 2017 (can't remember exactly), I remember reading an article in the Mountain Mail that the estimated homelessness rate among children at the Longfellow Elementary in Salida jumped 300% in one year. I imagine the situation has only gotten worse as rents have continued their exponential increases since then. Heartbreaking.

Just a few more reasons I left Chaffee County. It's a beautiful place, but no longer worth the price of admission for residents, IMO.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:55 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Not a lot of people were flying in from out-of-state in the summer of 2020. Plenty of people didn't feel safe with flying at that point due to COVID.

I hiked the Buffalo Peaks on a Sunday (camped the night before) late this past summer and while it wasn't exactly 'crowded' near my camp site, it certainly wasn't deserted.

If OP wants mountain solitude not too terribly far from Denver, the western side of the Sangre de Cristos (except the Crestone and Mt. Blanca areas) are where to look. Just bring your bug spray.
Yeah still that it's not packed is the cool part for being close and free. Whereas if you go to Cottonwood lake a little further down the road it's an absolute zoo that's almost scary.

It's funny, the mosquitoes in wetter parts of CO are about what they are in northern GA, but people swear CO is bug free and Georgia is some infested realm.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Yeah still that it's not packed is the cool part for being close and free. Whereas if you go to Cottonwood lake a little further down the road it's an absolute zoo that's almost scary.
Yeah, the Buffalo Peaks are definitely more mild traffic-wise compared to other nearby areas, absolutely.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:46 AM

6,775 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Ah, interloper1138 already beat me to it. I was just going to post the article from the Colorado Sun.

I know there are a lot of reasons why things are the way they are right now, but I am curious to know how much this “vanlife” movement has to do with it, along with the ability for people to work remotely. It gets sensationalized on social media and places like Reddit and I actually know 2-3 people who are now nomads, living out of expensive sprinter vans. Hopefully these aren’t the people who are causing problems, but it seems way more popular now than it did even 10 years ago.

I’ve also started looking east of Colorado for camping. There isn’t much in the way of dispersed, and it’s not really in the mountains, but there are some nice state parks in Kansas and Nebraska that are a lot lower key, but still interesting in their own way. Yep, the campgrounds are established so it’s a different vibe, but it can still be fun. I know people here generally tend to look down on the plains, but there is a lot of natural beauty there as well.

Old 02-04-2022, 12:22 PM

48 posts, read 64,192 times
Thanks for the article. That's discouraging. It's one thing for the areas to be busier, it's an entirely different thing for people to be trashing the areas.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:39 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,931,897 times
One of the reasons I hightailed it away from the Front Range was the increasing influx of people to Denver, Fort Collins, the Springs, and every other city there. And this was some 15 years ago when I left for good!

The Western Slope still has some good camping opportunities if you just don't go near any of the resort towns like Aspen or cities like Grand Junction. The San Juan Mountains can offer a good camping experience if you are willing to drive that far, but do your research first. I live in Cortez which is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, yet the camping around places like McPhee and Ground Hog Reservoir can fill up pretty quickly, especially on the weekends and during the hunting season(s).

If you are on the more adventuresome side and have a vehicle with good tread still on the tires (4 or all wheel drive doesn't hurt to have, either), there are still quite a few awesome places to camp on both Forest Service and BLM lands out in my part of Colorado. You can forget going anywhere near a National Park, though.

I use the 15 minute maps which are published in the Colorado Gazetteer, along with an old handheld orienteering GPS to find my way to secluded places in both the La Platas and the San Juans and I never really get lost as long as my GPS can pick up 3 or 4 satellites. I've also gotten extremely territorial in my old age. I once had set up my campsite way back in the San Juans when another vehicle decided to follow me in. I got out of my truck and told the driver that I had been there first and that I was sure he could find a better camping spot if only he kept on going. To my surprise, this actually worked and the guy meekly turned around and drove away!

As for mosquitoes - they are everywhere now adays. I think that this may be due in part to the climate becoming more humid as global warming works its evil magic. I always take bottles and bottles of every mosquito repellent known to woman since you can't order the nasty creatures to leave the way you can a human.

Forget the Front Range. Go West, young man, and you might be pleasantly surprised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado