Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Folks, need some help looking at possible relocation. I'm hoping I can get some help at starting to focus on possible move in the next year. Can you give me some smaller cities or actually towns that would make it on a list to check out. We are used to living in small towns and want to stay out of bigger cities and the hustle and bustle except when we need them for medical or shopping etc... We would prefer more trees than dessert, and either side of the Rockies. Something with a quaint main street, more "mom and pop" businesses rather than "corporate" stores, and something not outrageously priced that the average family could afford. We have lived in snow country before, but dont want to be burried in it if possible.

If there is such a place that you know of or have visited in your travels, could you please share. Thank you for any ideas. Having a good high school in the area is a must for our kids.

Thank you.
Is Colorado a must?

If so... maybe Woodland Park or Morrison (If you prefer mtns). or... if rural... between Lyons and Estes Park.

For western slope, I would look to Salida or Mesa area.

If you can get beyond Colorado
... Consider WA, OR, ID, MT

WA if you want less desert (less sun too), less snow, plenty of mtns (and coastline / water sports), high salaries w/ no income tax and FREE FT College instead of hanging around burning daylight at a HS. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

NM has nice quaint mtn towns that are not as expensive or crowded as CO.
SD... look into Spearfish area.

For HS aged kids the choice is quite simple. (And quite limited in rural CO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 01:27 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Devil's advocate. The OP said they don't want a desert feel.[/url]
I believe the OP wrote: dessert.
I was thinking Palisade Peach Pie.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Did you see this thread? https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...co-thread.html

Not your exact same question, but interesting and informative.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Generally, even the mountain towns in Colorado aren't really "in the trees." This is because most of them were settled in the valleys along creeks or rivers in areas covered mostly by grass and sagebrush. That being said, most towns in the mountains are still either adjacent to or very close to forested land, and I'd say most of them fall into that category. Aspen, for example, has forest on one end, sagebrush on the other, and has plenty of planted trees in town.

Wanting trees but not wanting to be buried in the snow will limit your options, but it depends on how much snow we're talking about. Pagosa Springs is in a naturally forested setting but is very far from big cities. Leadville is surrounded by natural forested land but gets quite a large amount of snow. Estes Park has the ponderosa-forest feel of Pagosa but the prices will hurt. Etc etc. Generally in Colorado, something on any given wish list will have to give.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I agree. Just pointing out that it dries up quickly once you get away from the irrigation. The area between I-70 and the Bookcliffs is what Grand Junction and Palisade would look like naturally.

The towns on the Northeastern Plains (Brush, Fort Morgan, Sterling, and Julesburg) are much the same. Lots of irrigation canals and cottonwood trees everywhere in town, but drive a couple miles outside the city limits away from the river and it browns up in a hurry.
That is true for the entire state unless it is in the high mountains, which means harsh winters.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I believe the OP wrote: dessert.
I was thinking Palisade Peach Pie.
Baked Alaska. Apropos for both AK and CO the way the climate has been heading. Baked or frozen—less and less in-between conditions.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:58 AM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times
So to clarify some info on the OP. As far as scenery and trees, we would prefer looking out towards forests, or mountains close by with trees as apposed to agriculture fields or expanses of flat vistas. We have driven through Colorado multiple times heading to the East Coast and find the beauty appealing. We did not care for the look of Eastern Co which almost felt like "Plains" states and understand that at the top of the Rockies, winters would be extremely snowy and challenging. "Small Town" feel could mean anywhere from a few thousand residents up to 20 thousand people. On the outskirts of bigger cities could be ok if we had to drive 30,45 minutes or so to access than return home. Looking for a friendlier state that won't be taxing the heck out of people's incomes or eventually retirement incomes.

Thank you for the suggestions so far as it is giving us so places to research.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:02 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
So to clarify some info on the OP. As far as scenery and trees, we would prefer looking out towards forests, or mountains close by with trees as apposed to agriculture fields or expanses of flat vistas. We have driven through Colorado multiple times heading to the East Coast and find the beauty appealing. We did not care for the look of Eastern Co which almost felt like "Plains" states and understand that at the top of the Rockies, winters would be extremely snowy and challenging. "Small Town" feel could mean anywhere from a few thousand residents up to 20 thousand people. On the outskirts of bigger cities could be ok if we had to drive 30,45 minutes or so to access than return home. Looking for a friendlier state that won't be taxing the heck out of people's incomes or eventually retirement incomes.

Thank you for the suggestions so far as it is giving us so places to research.

Have you been through Canon City?.
I think it suits your budget, and requirements; the very historical downtown area is fantastic.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:19 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
I have family in Colorado & I try to be a tourist and wander the state when I visit them. There were three "small" towns that I spent time in that seemed nice...Salida, Montrose & Durango. They all had a nice vibe, but I was just a tourist. Maybe locals could say more.

Old 01-16-2022, 11:42 AM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Evergreen? Genesee? Morrison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado