Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 3,165 times

Advertisements

I moved in with a friend on June 25th and by July 15 moved out again. I had received an offer to pay way less rent 45 minutes closer to my work and explained to them that I couldn’t pass up the offer. He wasn’t going to have me pay deposit but had me sign a month to month lease. When I moved out, I asked if I got deposit and the remaining rent back since I wasn’t there the full month and he said no because I didn’t give 30 days notice. I didn’t even live there for 30 days and was never actually even home because it was getting rough to drive an hour and a half one direction every day for work. Does anyone know if there’s some way out of that “30 day minimum” beings how I didn’t even live there for a full 30 days? I left the area I rented cleaner than when I moved in and made sure that I took care of anything else that I may have needed to take care of before moving out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 09:56 AM

60 posts, read 56,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseym91 View Post
I moved in with a friend on June 25th and by July 15 moved out again. I had received an offer to pay way less rent 45 minutes closer to my work and explained to them that I couldn’t pass up the offer. He wasn’t going to have me pay deposit but had me sign a month to month lease. When I moved out, I asked if I got deposit and the remaining rent back since I wasn’t there the full month and he said no because I didn’t give 30 days notice. I didn’t even live there for 30 days and was never actually even home because it was getting rough to drive an hour and a half one direction every day for work. Does anyone know if there’s some way out of that “30 day minimum” beings how I didn’t even live there for a full 30 days? I left the area I rented cleaner than when I moved in and made sure that I took care of anything else that I may have needed to take care of before moving out.
Wait a min...you said "he didnt have you pay a deposit" but then you want the deposit back?

These conditions (deposit and move out terms) should have been addressed in the lease that you signed. If they weren't you will probably need to file in small claims court.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:13 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
If your friend is on the hook for the rent for the whole month and you gave no notice, it seems only fair that he should be able to keep the month's rent you paid so he/she isn't left in a lurch unable to pay their own obligations due to having lost a renter suddenly. You not being physically there much is entirely irrelevant to the financial situation. If you were 'month-to-month', then there is an implication that you commit to a full month at a time and owe them pay for full months for any month you were 'living' there for part of it. As for deposit, your post is not clear, but if you don't have anything in writing as to what the rules around deposits were, you should just write this off and move on.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:20 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
This is a case for Judge Judy

Old 07-18-2021, 10:49 AM

Sorry, he originally wasn’t going to have me pay one but then changed his mind and I did pay one. He owns the house with his ex wife and is taking over while she moves out and into her own place.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
This is a case for Judge Judy
I fail to see how you are being helpful. Please don’t comment if you aren’t going to help. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:10 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
You signed a contract, committing to at least one month's rent. 30 days advance notice is a pretty standard requirement for moving out of a rental regardless whether it was a month to month or a longer lease. You didn't give proper notice which comes down to a violation of the contract you agreed to. Most likely you'll forfeit the rest of that month's rent...your LL was counting on receiving rent for at least that month financially. Its going to take time to fill the vacancy you're creating. He won't be getting any rental income during that time. That's a financial loss for him. The fact that your body wasn't physically present very much means nothing. Your stuff was there, taking up space. That space wasn't available for anyone else to use.

Whether he gives you all or a portion of your deposit back is up to him but again, he's within his rights to refuse. You only lived there a very short time and there wouldn't be much wear and tear he needs to take care of before he can re-rent the space you and your stuff occupied. If you part on good terms, leave your portion of the house clean and undamaged and possibly help him find another tenant, maybe he will. Many LLs wouldn't.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-18-2021 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-18-2021, 12:15 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
How long will it take for the new lower rent (and shorter commute) to "pay"/make up for the lost deposit & rent ??

Old 07-18-2021, 03:03 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryk123 View Post
this is a case for judge judy
+1

Old 07-18-2021, 03:03 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
You entered in an agreement, then found something better and want to renege on what you agreed to. A month to month lease means that you pay for each full month, not part of a month. And, yes, 30 days notice is standard for any kind of rental. Sorry to sound rude, but you can’t just keep changing your mind because you found something better.

Parnassia gave you excellent advise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado