Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 10:52 AM

405 posts, read 394,088 times

Advertisements

I see nosebleeds and the effects of dry air on health mentioned online. Is it really a big concern? Does it impact day to day life much? I don't see such concerns mentioned much about Phoenix, LV or SLC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 11:02 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Humidity can lower to 4% I moved here from the south and it took me about 3 weeks to get used to the altitude, I love the dry air, except now during this heat wave. Drink LOTS of water, and if your nose is a problem a saline nasal spray might help.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:03 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
In my experience it all depends on the individual. I moved to Colorado from Indiana over five years ago. I absolutely love the dry climate here, but as the years have gone on I've had more frequent nosebleeds each year. This year I've had around 6 or 7 big nosebleeds. That said, I don't have AC nor do I regularly use a humidifier in my home. I feel like if I did my nosebleeds would be less frequent. Prior to moving out west I maybe had one nosebleed a year.

When my mom visits, even if it's only for a few days, she's guaranteed to have at least one nosebleed. One of my best friends suffered from extreme nosebleeds the entire time he visited. My other family members and friends haven't had that issue when they've come to visit, though.

Overall this does not impact my daily life, though. I honestly don't even think about it until it happens. I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from being here.

That said, the impact just seems to depend on the person (and probably other health factors I'm not aware of).

Old 08-21-2020, 11:23 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
In my experience it all depends on the individual. I moved to Colorado from Indiana over five years ago. I absolutely love the dry climate here, but as the years have gone on I've had more frequent nosebleeds each year. This year I've had around 6 or 7 big nosebleeds. That said, I don't have AC nor do I regularly use a humidifier in my home. I feel like if I did my nosebleeds would be less frequent. Prior to moving out west I maybe had one nosebleed a year.

When my mom visits, even if it's only for a few days, she's guaranteed to have at least one nosebleed. One of my best friends suffered from extreme nosebleeds the entire time he visited. My other family members and friends haven't had that issue when they've come to visit, though.

Overall this does not impact my daily life, though. I honestly don't even think about it until it happens. I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from being here.

That said, the impact just seems to depend on the person (and probably other health factors I'm not aware of).
You MUST use a humidifier in the winter here. Your health depends on it!

When the furnace is on in the winter, humidity levels in the home can drop by a minimum of 10%.

Dry air can lead to sore throats, chafed nasal passages and dry skin, especially for little ones.

If you have nice furniture (not the starter furniture that AFW sells) it may start to crack if the humidity is low.

And anytime you touch metal objects like door knobs you will get nice little shocks all the time.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:27 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post

When the furnace is on in the winter, humidity levels in the home can drop by a minimum of 10%.

Dry air can lead to sore throats, chafed nasal passages and dry skin, especially for little ones.

If you have nice furniture (not the starter furniture that AFW sells) it may start to crack if the humidity is low.
I generally have only used mine during winter in my bedroom at night, though not consistently. Now that I'm working entirely from home due to COVID I may invest in a larger unit for the winter, though.

No nice 'crackable' furniture to worry about in my house.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:35 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Humidifiers help a lot in winter. You can’t run them in summer, the A/C will fight against it.
Get one that runs without the furnace on. There are plenty sunny days where the furnace may not run, but you still want to humidify the air in winter.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:36 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Nosebleeds generally result from the dry air which causes sinus tissue to dry out, crack and bleed.

I have the usual saline spray and I keep a box of tampons around in case of a real gusher. Smaller bleeds can be pretty well stopped with Afrin nasal spray as it constricts blood vessels and stops bleeding.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:26 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
I disagree.

When I lived in PA, I installed a whole house humidifier because it felt necessary.

Here, I have no issues with dryness in winter, or otherwise. Guess I've adapted to it.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I seem to have fewer issues in Phoenix that I did in Colorado. I've assumed it is because of the difference in outdoor winter temperatures. Cool outdoor air comes into the house, and when warmed up you end up with a pretty low relative humidity. This effect should be more pronounced in Colorado, since the outdoor air tends to be quite a lot colder and therefore cannot hold as much moisture.

That's my theory, anyway. We don't have a hydrometer so I don't have any actual data.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:44 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
I generally have only used mine during winter in my bedroom at night, though not consistently. Now that I'm working entirely from home due to COVID I may invest in a larger unit for the winter, though.

No nice 'crackable' furniture to worry about in my house.
Should have said "antique" furniture (!). Have seen that happen here before.

Newer stuff probably does not have that problem (unless it is from AFW).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: