Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 952 times

Advertisements

Hi, what are some good towns or areas that do not have thunderstorms and tornados very often ? I know it will be in the west. Possibly will move there someday.

Thanks
123rascal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:57 AM

8,519 posts, read 8,887,040 times
To avoid tornadoes, stay out of the plains. To avoid thunderstorms, stay out of summer heat or maybe look at another state depending on how low you want this activity to be.

This site may help some
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/stormevent...s=8%2CCOLORADO

There is also this first post https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...logy-long.html

And other threads https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...w=1366&bih=654

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-23-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,734,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123rascal View Post
Hi, what are some good towns or areas that do not have thunderstorms and tornados very often ? I know it will be in the west. Possibly will move there someday.

Thanks
123rascal
No town anywhere has tornadoes often.

Some states, even counties, have somewhat periodic tornadoes. And a random town might by chance get whacked a few times in a row. But that's not predictable. The footprint of a tornado is invariably small. The the widest and longest-lasting tornadoes only impact a fraction of even the smallest of counties. They're an infinitesimal threat. Thunderstorms are far more common, of course, but even less of a threat. They more frequently cause damage than tornadoes, but it tends to be fairly minor and non-lethal - trees, roof damage, maybe cars pelted by hail, some flooding (which is a matter of very specific location at the sub-community level).

If I wanted to live somewhere, I wouldn't let either tornadoes or thunderstorms dissuade me.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM

20,932 posts, read 9,640,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123rascal View Post

Thanks
123rascal
The entire west coast largely lacks tornadoes and thunderstorms. At least, thunderstorms are fairly uncommon (and when they do arise they're not usually very severe) and tornadoes are extremely rare.

Once you go inland past the western coastal ranges, thunderstorms become more common.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:38 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,613,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The entire west coast largely lacks tornadoes and thunderstorms. At least, thunderstorms are fairly uncommon (and when they do arise they're not usually very severe) and tornadoes are extremely rare.

Once you go inland past the western coastal ranges, thunderstorms become more common.
The west most definitely gets common thunderstorms. Monsoon season in the desert is a thing.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 PM

1,013 posts, read 983,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The west most definitely gets common thunderstorms. Monsoon season in the desert is a thing.
I think he meant the coastal strip, not the west in general.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:55 PM

20,932 posts, read 9,640,884 times
Yes, that's why I said, "Once you go inland past the western coastal ranges, thunderstorms become more common."

Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 PM

26,285 posts, read 49,214,254 times
IIRC, since 1950 there have been only 3 tornado fatalities in COLO; one in Windsor and two out on the plains near the KS border. That's it.

Yes, they can happen in COLO but the rate is so small that I never worried about it the entire 11 years we lived there.

Just about everywhere in COLO will get thunderstorms. The bad part of those is the frequent hail; if you choose to live here you should find a place with a garage -- and use it or else your car can be totaled by a good hail storm.

Then again, just about everywhere in the country gets thunderstorms.

Millions of people live in COLO, storms and tornadoes are not a deterrent to living there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado