Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am looking for a website or forum that would put me in touch with Durango locals. I am an RN with a Master's degree in Nursing Education planning to relocate to Durango next Spring. I have 2 boys that plan to attend Fort Lewis college for engineering degrees.
I would love to make some connections before we make our move.

Thanks for reading!
~ Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 02:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
I don't do much social media besides here but I'd think searching on facebook is the most likely to have volume of potential contacts (for Durango or Fort Lewis). And look at Meetups or specialty groups that interest you on their home sites.

I am in the area and would be willing to try to answer some questions if you have them, in this thread or by private message. There are some other folks in the area who might speak up. What are your interests outside of work & family? That info might help get replies.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:06 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am not a big Facebook user, but I do have an account. I will check that avenue. I am mostly interested in small everyday details about life in Durango. Maybe questions about best locations to look for a places to rent, places easily accessible to campus.
My guys are pretty introverted, not a lot of group activities with them. Library, school, work and food are their biggest interests.
I have two Bernese Mountain Dogs that don’t need much space but love to walk a couple of times a day. Is Durango a dog friendly town?

I’ve read all the high cost of housing/low pay posts, and I know about the beauty and abundant outdoor activities. Fast food eats, grocery stores, healthcare, car repair... mundane life things are interesting to me.

Thanks again for your reply!

~Julie

Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
I'm up in the Vail area and we have a couple very active Facebook Groups, Vail Moms and Eagle County Classifieds. They are a wealth of information for anything you could need. I think it's worth seeing if Durango has some like that and joining, just reading the posts will give you an education on the area and allow you to connect if you need help with something.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:21 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Best locations to rent depends on budget and how much space you need. You might find a 3BR house to rent in south part of downtown, right near the drive up to the college. Price will depend on condition of the place. A fair number of students live there. Lots more live in the many apartments along Florida Road.

Durango is a dog centric town. It is mostly dog friendly- if you keep them leashed / under control and pick up after them. There is a dog park at south end of town, an ever expanding river trail and a big and well supported animal shelter.

Groceries- there is Walmart, 3 big conventional markets, a couple of "health food" stores, a food co-op, some specialty shops and probably more than I haven't used.

There is probably ten national chain fast food restaurants (I may be forgetting some) but most of the restaurants are local, including some local fast food places. Check Yelp or similar for a list of links / reviews.

There are two main medical complexes, a public health clinic and lots of other health care services. Some people that need less common care needs or "want the best" go outside city (usually Denver or Grand Junction) but the city is big enough to have most options.

Car repair recs may depend of vehicle make.

Engineering at Fort Lewis? They have some but check if it is "enough" https://www.fortlewis.edu/engineering/

Last edited by NW Crow; 08-02-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 08-02-2018, 10:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Julius View Post
Hi!
I am looking for a website or forum that would put me in touch with Durango locals. I am an RN with a Master's degree in Nursing Education planning to relocate to Durango next Spring. I have 2 boys that plan to attend Fort Lewis college for engineering degrees.
I would love to make some connections before we make our move.

Thanks for reading!
~ Julie
I didn’t know that Fort Fun offers engineering degrees.

Check craigslist ads for Housing Wanted to get a feel for rental demand. Check the Durango newspaper’s classified ads, to get a feel for rental supply.

Please do pick up your dogs’ DOO. Durango sports some real minefields of dog bombs left by lazy owners.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I hope to find a useful Facebook group to connect with.
I checked out the link for the engineering program at Fort Lewis. The generalization of the degree is a slight concern for me, but not so much my son since he plans to follow-up with a Master's.

It's good to hear the it is a dog centric town. I feel like I am a pretty responsible pet owner and on of my peeves is people not policing after their dogs. I live in a townhouse with no yard so they get walked 2x a day to do their business now. Have to keep everything picked up!

Thanks too for the info on groceries, healthcare and the like. Very helpful!

Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Please excuse the typos. Posting from a phone that is new to me. Plus, I am not proofing prior to submitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado