Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
This has been my solution since 2017's rate hikes as well, ... have you had much success with your cost sharing network?

I will say, as someone who supported the ACA when it was passed, I don't like 'cheating the system' this way. I understand the logic behind the individual mandate, but at the same time I have to do what's financially responsible for myself. Seeing as how my money is still going towards helping others who actually have real medical needs, I don't feel too guilty about it.
Yes, with HC sharing network your expenses are going to those in need, but unfortunately the COST of their care has been run up HUGE to support the failed USA HC system and buy a lot of Mercedes for Drs and Lawyers.. Your ACA premiums are funding the HUGE USA over priced system, as well as paying for health care (?) services that you may not choose to support.

My use of HSN has been limited (thank goodness), but my niece spent 6 weeks in intensive care and had brain and spinal surgeries and was covered by ~80% through HSN, and the hospital negotiated off the remaining 20%. I have friends who have used HSN for more than 10 yrs.

Last yr I fled the USA election drama and used international travel insurance ~ $200/ month for 2 people over age 50. It cancels as soon as you return to your home. No problem. STAY AWAY!
It is very tough to get them to reimburse you, tho they finally do it. (qualifying expenses).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 10:52 PM

53 posts, read 95,151 times
What is a USA 'non insurance' cost sharing network? HSN? I have never heard of it and am interested in finding out about alternatives as obamacare might be gone next year.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:01 PM

317 posts, read 478,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestforme View Post
What is a USA 'non insurance' cost sharing network? HSN? I have never heard of it and am interested in finding out about alternatives as obamacare might be gone next year.
Essentially they're faith-based organizations that function similarly to how insurance worked pre-ACA (no obligation to provide coverage, pre-existing conditions, etc). Members pay a monthly contribution either to the organization or directly to other members in need, as opposed to paying a monthly premium. Members of health sharing ministries can claim an exemption to the ACA, thus avoiding any tax penalties.

Here's an article from CNBC explaining how they work.

I'm new to mine and haven't had to actually use it, but I have friends who have been using them for many, many years and have been happy with them.

If the healthcare situation in this country ever gets straightened out I'll likely switch back to traditional insurance, but for the time being this is what I'm doing to be in compliance with the law and not pay for insurance I don't ever use.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
Essentially they're faith-based organizations ... for the time being this is what I'm doing to be in compliance with the law ....
No longer a need to comply with the Obamacare rule of mandatory coverage (unless Trump gets 'offed'). If the republicans retain power after the assassination / impeachment, there will be no penalty / forced compliance. If Obama has a successful coup .... there will be more significant concerns than A(?)CA compliance.

Unfortunately there is still a provision for higher premiums for 'lapse of coverage'.

so... USA HC is really no longer an option.

another way to be excluded from Obamacare regs, is to work for congress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado