Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 09:50 AM

89 posts, read 143,465 times

Advertisements

How soon after this reason storm and cold weather (Colorado Springs) will I be able to plant some juniper screening shrubs in my back yard? The ground is still hard and frozen.

I am thinking of picking up some shrubs (I need 13), and keep them in the garage until the ground softens. Or should I just wait?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
I'm in Denver... no snow on the ground (it all melted as it fell). I'll wait until next weekend, then look at the forecast. If it looks warm, it should be safe. Typically, I don't plant anything until May 15th.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:05 AM

242 posts, read 413,094 times
You should be OK to plant junipers before it fully warms up.

Chances are that ground isn't frozen...it's just hard as a damn rock... Get out the hose the day before you plant...water each spot well.... then dig. If it's really hard dirt and you are struggling to dig...fill/wet the hole with water and wait til the next day and do it all over again. This will also give the ground around/under your plantings some (most likely) well needed moisture.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:23 PM

670 posts, read 1,052,641 times
I am in the Springs, my ground is not frozen either. You may have some hard compacted soil. You would be fine to plant junipers now.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 PM

371 posts, read 361,867 times
Frozen? Maybe if you're above 8,000 feet. But I drove fence stakes easily a foot into the ground two weeks ago. The recent rain and snow has made this a fine season to plant (anything that's hardy, but hold those tomatoes).

Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,393 times
I can't imagine the ground is still frozen anywhere in Colorado Springs. That's where I am, and I've been dividing and moving perennials and putting in some early-season things (phlox, violas, columbines, etc) to fill holes where things died over the winter for a month already. The pansies I planted last week survived the snow just fine, and I just put in some annuals in my patio pots yesterday. Spring weather is always unpredictable here, but I've been keeping an eye on the 10-day forecast and think it's unlikely we'll get more snow or a hard freeze any more.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:10 PM

753 posts, read 1,104,393 times
BTW, if the ground where you want to plant your shrubs is really hard clay, if you want them to survive you are going to have to do more than just dig holes and drop them in. You'll really need to dig up the whole area where you're going to plant and improve the soil by mixing in lots of compost. I've had good luck with the stuff called "sheep and peat", and I'd guess you'll need at least 1/2 bag per shrub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado