Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,903,043 times

Advertisements

If I could work from home 100% of the time (and convince my wife) I'd love to live in Fairplay or Alma. Beautiful country up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:33 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
I just talked to a friend who works in Telluride and lives on a high mesa nearby. He said the internet connections is "Third World and spotty" and would not want to rely on it for work. I think that is true in a lot of more remote places, wife aside.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:05 AM

400 posts, read 498,689 times
My mom and step dad plan on buying a tiny home in Fairplay. The home is bigger that a tiny home and i think around 500+ sq. ft so not totally a tiny home buy a semi tiny home? Have seen pictures and the home looks great. They stayed overnight in town last weekend to see how the town vibe was. I believe there is only 1 grocery in town but the prices were high. They say it's about a 20 minute drive to Breckenridge according to the residents. If the buy the house I will drive up to visit.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,394,489 times
My Grandparents lived in Alma and ran a gas station in Fairplay. It was a great place to stay when I was growing up, and is still a very attractive area, but the last 40 years have brought a lot of change to the area, some good, some not so good. I'm always surprised how much population there is in the mountains around these two towns and some areas that are actually fair sized sub-divisions that you don't see when just passing through. Despite that, there is still not a lot of choice for shopping options and yes, prices will always be higher in the more remote areas than in more populated areas. Simple supply/demand at work there.

Small bit of trivia- a lot of people don't remember when Colorado bailed on their Olympic bid for the 76 Winter Games. The proposed bobsled and luge venues were going to be located in the Fairplay area. I don't recall exactly where, but in the neighborhood.

And yes, anyone who can work from home and is considering a remote mountain locale, internet connections aren't stellar when you're surrounded by 13k high mountain peaks.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:37 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,692,752 times
OP, sounds like others have already chimed in on this, but just thought I'd give my two cents since I used to live in Fairplay and have family that lives between there and Buena Vista. Fairplay is a very small town, as many mountain towns in Colorado are. There are not that many cities in the mountains of Colorado. You definitely do not want to commute from Fairplay to Denver for work, unless you plan to live in Denver during your shifts. My husband is an RN, and while that's not ideal, it could be doable if you were willing to have two places of residency.

Most people that live in Fairplay work in the area, are self employed (and not Internet reliant) or are retired. I worked for the US Forest Service there and my husband worked there in the summer and then Breckenridge as a lift operator in the winter. Even that commute got old for him and he would take a bus.

We actually would love to get back to that part of Colorado if we could, but nursing jobs are pretty much non-existent unless you don't mind doing home health work for low wages.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:39 AM

85 posts, read 206,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
My mistake, Heeney is not in Summit County.
Actually, you were right the first time Heeney is in Summit County (Summit resident here) - and so is the Green Mountain Reservoir. It's a few miles South of the Grand County line, and the closest city is Kremmling, in Grand County, just over 15 miles to the North. Silverthorne is about 20 miles to the South, and has the best shopping options. Kremmling is a really small town, and has more limited options.

Heeney is a tiny spot on the map, and consists of a few streets on the shore of the reservoir. One of the most difficult things about living there is that if you have a medical emergency, it takes about 30-40 minutes for an ambulance / fire truck to get there, and once they do, you're still 30 miles from the closest hospital. Summit and Grand Counties have a mutual aid agreement for that area, so EMS crews respond from both Kremmling and Dillon for emergencies; Kremmling is about 10 minutes closer, and their paramedics can usually get there first, but they aren't that much closer. Law enforcement is handled solely by the Summit County Sheriff's Department, which is located in Breckenridge, 50 minutes away. If no deputies are on patrol in the North end of the County (highly likely, because they tend to hang around the most populated areas in the Central and South ends of the County), Silverthorne PD will often run up there to assist them, but again, it's still a 30 minute drive from Silverthorne.

It's a gorgeous area, but very remote. Fairplay would probably be your best bet. It's more populated, and as such, has the best access to public services, dining, shopping, etc. And property is less expensive compared to Summit County, but is just half an hour from Breckenridge, if you're into Winter sports, mountain biking, hiking, etc. For what it's worth, the rumor is that the show South Park was inspired by Fairplay.

Both Heeney and Fairplay are about 30 miles from the closest hospital, in Frisco (Summit Medical Center). If you're looking for work as a nurse, there are a few options: SMC, Breckenridge Community Clinic, and High Country Health Care (locations in Breck, Silverthorne, and Frisco). there are also clinics in Keystone and Copper Mountain which operate seasonally.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If I could work from home 100% of the time (and convince my wife) I'd love to live in Fairplay or Alma. Beautiful country up there.
Kinda hard to work at home as a nurse, though!

Old 10-13-2015, 03:35 PM

31 posts, read 29,987 times
Default SouthPark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

We bought a place near Jefferson (Stagestop off 77) we love it out there we hang out in Alma (SP saloon) and a few places in Fairplay great flyfishing in our property area unbelieveable scenery when not enjoying the solitude and privacy of the cabin if you need anything you pretty much have a drive to do it speaking of hospitals good one in Frisco guess that's the closest? only way I know is recent flyfish trip with buddies one of them hooked self in head with big streamer fly that had to be surgically removed! pretty funny actually positive was I learned where that facility was (in case needed in future)
Attached Thumbnails
mountain cities?-img_1578.jpg  

Old 10-17-2015, 10:52 AM

213 posts, read 301,728 times
Leadville has a hospital I think. In lake county, 20 mins from copper mtn

Old 10-17-2015, 03:45 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
Leadville has a hospital I think. In lake county, 20 mins from copper mtn
Maybe or maybe not
St. Vincent Hospital | Leadville Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado