Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 08:43 AM

2,495 posts, read 2,716,313 times

Advertisements

Interesting resurrection….

Many of the towns in this thread are now some of the more desirable places to live on the Western Slope.

According to the WSJ, Grand Junction is second only to Colorado Springs in the state for emerging housing markets.

Paonia and Montrose are very attractive towns. Paonia especially has turned out to be a cute wine country place to hang out.

The only town in my opinion that hasn’t kept pace is Delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 08:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
I didn't live in the North Fork area but I did live in Montrose for a year and a half. The mentality of the people in Montrose & Delta counties aren't all that different when it comes to transplants - all transplants will be shunned.

I did business with a lot of people in the North Fork area and there's only 1 TERM I can use to describe them - MORONS.

The year and a half I spent in that area was a low point in my life. I moved there when I was 25 and was amazed by the lack of things to do and ignorance of the local residents. Glad I was able to move on.

I would consider looking elsewhere, but at the end of the day it's your call.
Unfortunately, the term happens to fit the behavior of too many in my area of CO also. Sometimes I wonder if the family tree being so restricted (and the very limited exposure to other ways of thinking) does result in inbreeding, the kind that is bad for the human species.

There is plenty to do in rural areas. The actual choices made, though, are another story.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:03 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,718,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseasMom View Post
It is funny to me reading the posts about how people treat transplants. We grew up in RI and then moved to NH. We might as well have come from Mars! We were treated pretty badly by most of the "local yokels". The few that did have social skills had actually left NH and been in other parts of the country and learned social skills and etiquette. Others were "transplants" like ourselves. Keep in mind that typically its a 3-4 hour drive from RI to NH.
Anyway, we have always dreamed of living in CO. We feel that NH hardened us up, we have no expectations of the CO locals and just would like to live in an area that we feel is beautiful and be able to do the things we enjoy.
We will treat everyone (local or not) with courtesy and respect. We will not be forced to give up our social skills & etiquette by anyone no matter where we live--the mentality of the NH locals taught us that!
I think that if you are going to an area that you love, have interests, are self sufficient and self reliant and are not just going to make friends that you will make out ok. Good Luck. May be someday our paths will cross! :-)
Unless you try to tick people off, they mostly leave you alone. However, if you move somewhere wanting to be NOT left alone but welcomed just because you moved there, you probably need to find Mayberry somewhere else in the US.

Caveat: Because I am not Caucasian, I learned very early to ignore not being treated as “one of us.” Being left alone (not harassed) is just fine.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:00 AM

432 posts, read 416,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseasMom View Post
Well we left NH in 2016 and have been living in CO for 5 years! HOW WONDERFUL it has been! Absolutely NO REGRETS! People were welcoming and friendly. NOT at all like NH regarding the attitude! Taxes are so much less compared to the crazy HIGH property taxes in NH (Thornton/Campton area).
Small world. Had the same thoughts on NH friendliness/taxes when I moved to Campton from Colorado.
I lived In Crested Butte, which is known for it's unfriendly locals in the ski-bum world, in the mid-90's. It was nothing like Campton. Gentle ribbing vs full on hazing.

We never went to Paonia much, we only knew of it from P-Bud. Everyone in CB smoked Paonia-Bud, a strain developed by a grower there. High Times named the area as having the best Marijuana in the USA at the time.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,406,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I lived In Crested Butte, which is known for it's unfriendly locals in the ski-bum world, in the mid-90's. It was nothing like Campton. Gentle ribbing vs full on hazing.e.
Used to live in Almont back before the Kali's discovered what Texan's already knew about the place - that was in the 70s when you wouldn't see a soul on the East and Slate rivers. Many great memories of the old town hardware store with that giant mounted elk head
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado