Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:12 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,720 times

Advertisements

I love Michigan, and couldnt see myself moving out of Michigan. Although Colorado is always one state thats been on my mind. Moving from Michigan to Colorado, would you consider that a bad move? What are the climate, and economic differences?

Old 11-04-2007, 06:25 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,250 times
Ummm colorado's has an economy, Michigan does not

Old 11-04-2007, 07:29 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Michigan View Post
I love Michigan, and couldnt see myself moving out of Michigan. Although Colorado is always one state thats been on my mind. Moving from Michigan to Colorado, would you consider that a bad move? What are the climate, and economic differences?
From your post, I would feel that you love Michigan and you love the area where you live. You do not really want to move but the economy in Michigan is not that good.

Think seriously about not moving here. You asked about the climate and I assume it is important to you. I grew up on the Great Lakes, near Buffalo. The climate here is very different than the climate around the lakes. The Lakes has many lush trees, it has, well, lakes. This area is not lush, has very few natural lakes. Colorado is a semi-arid/dessert climate. The mountains area are not the lush forest of the east and the northwest. It is very dry here.

When, I moved here, about 30 years ago, I missed overcast skies, I missed water, trees, the smell of moisture and even snow, going to a real beach---having bonfires on the sand, cottages along the lakes. I missed the food--sausages, strong ethnic areas.

Buffalo was very much like the economy of areas of Michigan, when I left. Buffalo is worse now. I was young, I graduated from colleges, I served my time in the Army and I wanted to leave the rust belt, the cold, the bad economy. I have discovered though that economic success is not the only thing in life.

Was it a good move, yes in a way, but I still have pangs for alll that I miss---and now the pangs and pain are physical, I have physical problems that are made worse by moisture and severe cold. I can never return to that moisture and cold. I like the dryness of Colorado.

So, I am here, lived here longer then New York---but there is alot to be said for staying in the area where you grow up, having family around and long term friends, familiar with the stores, the history, love the climate. I now love Colorado--it is my home. My family has all moved here but sometimes I feel, well, you will always miss the area where you lived when you were growing up.

Yes, I love Denver--it is far better place, economically, culturally than the place I left but you must know their are differences which are difficult to define. The Great Lakes has such a strong feeling of different ethnic identities, It has not drawn the large American interstate migration, in the last 50 years, as Colorado has drawn. There are more families in the lakes area that have long term roots. If you are one of those, and you cannot leave as you said, then do not leave. Come here for a visit and think about it.

Livecontent

Old 11-05-2007, 02:12 PM

580 posts, read 1,680,720 times
Thanks for the responses they really help me. Although I did think Colorado gets snow, and have a lushy feeling area due to the mountains. I never seen nothing but peace and new things in Denver, Colorado. Is it a dirty area? Would you consider it a large amount of poverty? Also would like to know... are there any big swimming outdoor areas around... like Lake Michigan, or Lake Erie?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:36 PM

Compared to the cities of Michigan the amount of run down areas/ dirty or industrial areas are minimum and won't feel the same since most areas of denver are newer. As far as outdoor areas for swimming, you will be dissapointed by the "lakes/ resivoirs" around colorado. Not to many are open and avaliable for swiming though some allow motor boats and jet skis. During the summer months most of them are VERY busy and it looks way to crowded for any fun. Any normal lake out in Michigan would be considered a major water area out here. Just different climates, wet versus dry.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Steveco has given you good information. I would add that there are really no great outdoor swimming areas, if you are used to real lakes.

You asked about poverty. Yes, there is poverty but it is much less then the older cities along the great lakes. This area does not have the severe black ghettos that you see in Detroit, Buffalo, Gary etc. The reason is that there has never been the type of racial tension that has existed in those cities. The black population here has been better integrated in the social and economic situation, better then the eastern cities.

In Colorado there is more of an idea of getting along with each other because maybe it newer area and never did have the heavy industries of some eastern cities or maybe it is smaller population. Denver has had a black mayor, an hispanic mayor when the city was predominately white--the city is little less white today but still a majority and we have a very popular white mayor. People talk about poor areas here but they never seen what a real ghetto looks like.

I have also felt safer here then where I grew up---I never saw or encountered areas that were as threatening as what I saw, and lived next to, in Eastern Cities.

Livecontent

Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 PM

10 posts, read 95,008 times
Hi,

I moved from Michigan to Colorado 16 years ago and would do it again every time. Michigan has beautiful trees, cider mills, and green, green grass. It also has the highest level of racism I have sensed anywhere (I am white, but I care about these things). Michigan is also much colder, on average than Colorado, and much gloomier, too.

Colorado is extremely sunny. Snow melts very quickly and we only get half of the amount Michigan does, down in the city. Up in the mountains, there is a lot of snow. So, if I miss it, I go up. If I don't, I stay home. Perfect! We also get all of our annual snow in one or two days, although you never know when that will be. You can go all winter without a single flake, then get 4 feet in one day. It is fun though - everyone has a day off, and then it melts immediately.

I love the mountains in Colorado, and never plan to leave them. The only place in Michigan I think is that nice is the Traverse City area, and it is WAY TOO COLD FOR ME. Colorado has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. I also love Arizona (too dry) and California (too expensive).

Michigan does have more liberals and union people in Detroit (I am a Dem) and more diversity in terms of ethnicity (Polish neighborhoods, Italian neighborhoods, Muslim neighborhoods, etc.). I do miss eating fresh falafel sandwhiches for lunch, and bagels that actually taste like bagels from the corner store.

Things are much more assimilated and mixed in Denver, but people also seem much more respectful and tolerant, too. The Martin Luther King Jr. parades and the Cinco De Mayo parades are huge in Denver, and all colors come out to party together! I have never witnessed the kind of rude trash talk in CO I heard everyday from people while living in Oakland County, MI. (Here is an example from when I visited last summer: someone asked why I decided to shop at Oakland Mall. "Don't you know people from Detroit go there, now?" "So?" I asked.)

I do miss some things about Ann Arbor, and if I had to move to Michigan, I would probably go back there to live. Boulder, CO is very much like Ann Arbor, but prettier (it is in the mountains) and not as snobby.

I LOVE Colorado and although I visit Michigan every year, I will never again call it home. There is just way too much for me, here. Wide open spaces AND minds, fresh air, lots of sunshine, and the prettiest scenery you can imagine. People are ALWAYS outside here, and I can pick up my newspaper in the driveway barefoot about 10 months a year. I couldn't do that in Detroit.

Good luck with your decision. (I know Michigan needs people to stay, so I say all this with a tinge of guilt.)

Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 PM

10 posts, read 95,008 times
P.S. Things I miss about Michigan - fall colors (you have bigger trees and more of them), spring blossoms (ditto for fruit trees), boating (CO boating is like MI skiing - laughable!), bowling leagues (dorky but sweet), and going to the cider mill (complete with eating donuts and getting stung by nearby bees). I also miss my family and friends from home. Other than that, I wish they were all here. The things I love about Colorado is ten times longer (at least).

And about your crime and poverty questions. There are no areas in Denver I would be afraid to walk at night. I could never say that about the Detroit area! Our downtown is like Chicagos lakefront in that it is hip, safe, fun, clean and very desirable. We have light rail, which means you don't need a car if you want to live there. You can get everywhere you need to go on public transportation. It is easy, cheap, clean and safe. What more could you want?

Truthfully, I tell my kids every week, "You are so lucky you are growing up in Colorado. you have no idea."

Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 AM

As far as cultural I think in general Denver has a good mix of a little bit of everything. Though there are not as many ethnic neighborhoods there are some that are mixed in everywhere. While Denver is a very safe city there are some areas that are a little sketchy from time to time and definately some areas that I would walk around with other people but never alone. I speak from experience (was attacked right out in front of the cheesecake factory this summer) But that sort of thing is rare, just need to use common sense

Old 11-06-2007, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cronk View Post
P.S. Things I miss about Michigan - fall colors (you have bigger trees and more of them), spring blossoms (ditto for fruit trees), boating (CO boating is like MI skiing - laughable!), bowling leagues (dorky but sweet), and going to the cider mill (complete with eating donuts and getting stung by nearby bees). I also miss my family and friends from home. Other than that, I wish they were all here. The things I love about Colorado is ten times longer (at least).

And about your crime and poverty questions. There are no areas in Denver I would be afraid to walk at night. I could never say that about the Detroit area! Our downtown is like Chicagos lakefront in that it is hip, safe, fun, clean and very desirable. We have light rail, which means you don't need a car if you want to live there. You can get everywhere you need to go on public transportation. It is easy, cheap, clean and safe. What more could you want?
There was a murder in LoDo this weekend. Denver is a city like all the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado