Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Graduate looking to rent: job search , safe area, Communications and Marketing degree

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:00 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times

Advertisements

Well, let me weigh in here. I will relate the experience of a former co-worker of mine. He is a Wisconsin native. He had training in a career field widely in demand just about anywhere in the country. He took a job in Colorado, in a nice area, working for the same organization that I worked for at the time. He and his wife bought a modest home (but, unlike so many these days, one that he could afford). They had kids, and were pretty happy--for awhile. They loved the mountains, and spent as much of their free time there as they could. That was not as much as they would have liked, because both money and time was tight for them, as it is for most young, working Colorado families.

After awhile, though, things started to bother my co-worker. He figured out that he was making considerably less income in his profession than those working in other parts of the country. Job competition in his field was keen in the region, because so many people wanted to live in Colorado that had his skills. The assistants he hired often had better qualifications than he did--they would take a lower level job just to live in Colorado. He also figured out, with the run-up in housing prices, that he would never be able to upgrade to a larger home at his salary. He also realized that he was at the top position in his field that the organization he worked for could support.

He was able to find another job in his field in the same area at a little higher pay, but soon ran into the same limitations that he had in his former place of employment. Reluctantly, he went searching for a job in other areas. He found one-back in his home area of Wisconsin. Where he relocated to Wisconsin, he was able to purchase a much larger home for about the same price as his modest home in Colorado. His starting salary was nearly double what he had made in Colorado, and--from what I understand--he has received at least two promotions since he has been in Wisconsin.

In the last conversation that he had with him, he allowed that he enjoyed the several years that he had spent in Colorado, but he said that--for his career purposes, at least--they had been "a waste." His final comment was, "If I want to enjoy Colorado, I can easily afford to come there on vacation."

Just some food for thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, let me weigh in here. I will relate the experience of a former co-worker of mine. He is a Wisconsin native. He had training in a career field widely in demand just about anywhere in the country. He took a job in Colorado, in a nice area, working for the same organization that I worked for at the time. He and his wife bought a modest home (but, unlike so many these days, one that he could afford). They had kids, and were pretty happy--for awhile. They loved the mountains, and spent as much of their free time there as they could. That was not as much as they would have liked, because both money and time was tight for them, as it is for most young, working Colorado families.

After awhile, though, things started to bother my co-worker. He figured out that he was making considerably less income in his profession than those working in other parts of the country. Job competition in his field was keen in the region, because so many people wanted to live in Colorado that had his skills. The assistants he hired often had better qualifications than he did--they would take a lower level job just to live in Colorado. He also figured out, with the run-up in housing prices, that he would never be able to upgrade to a larger home at his salary. He also realized that he was at the top position in his field that the organization he worked for could support.

He was able to find another job in his field in the same area at a little higher pay, but soon ran into the same limitations that he had in his former place of employment. Reluctantly, he went searching for a job in other areas. He found one-back in his home area of Wisconsin. Where he relocated to Wisconsin, he was able to purchase a much larger home for about the same price as his modest home in Colorado. His starting salary was nearly double what he had made in Colorado, and--from what I understand--he has received at least two promotions since he has been in Wisconsin.

In the last conversation that he had with him, he allowed that he enjoyed the several years that he had spent in Colorado, but he said that--for his career purposes, at least--they had been "a waste." His final comment was, "If I want to enjoy Colorado, I can easily afford to come there on vacation."

Just some food for thought.
Replace "Colorado" with "California" and replace "Wisconsin" with "Colorado".

Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 AM

260 posts, read 1,439,086 times
It is true that the economy in Colorado has been worse than other areas, expecially in the last 5-6 years. There was a lot of telecomm and it crashed but is slowly recovering. There was also a couple mutuals funds which also were the subject of scandels, namely INVESCO and JANUS. There was also a lot of bio-tech, which is still doing ok, but has cooled off a lot. Actually, Lockheed-Martin is really doing well and is a local Colorado employer. If you work there, living in Highlands Ranch, Rocksb. Park, Sedaic or Castle Rock is good option.

I agree that the cost of living in Colorado will surprise you, being higher than other areas -- esp. the groceries since most fruit and veggies are trucked or flown in ($$).

If we would stop putting corn in our gas, that would help a lot.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 PM

9 posts, read 32,109 times
b.adams, Thank you for your advice...it has been most helpful! Very informative. If I chose Denver instead to live, since I do kind of want the city atmosphere, would I be able to afford to live there with an entry-level job in marketing pry starting out? I would be looking for a one bedroom apartment of course. What do you think?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlilac View Post
Hello fellow Midwesterner!!!
I moved recently from Wisconsin to Pueblo, and let me tell you....I absolutely HATE it here. It is dusty, brown, dry and not to mention no decent jobs that pay well.
I miss the green, the lakes, the city. Too rural here. If you like any of those things, Colorado may not be for you.

For crying out loud, it just snowed here last week and has been colder here than it has been in Wisconsin lately!!!! What's up with that???? I'm not saying that you too will hate it, but it is a big change from the Midwest in the area you are in, so just a heads up.
Poor thing! No offense, but I got my Masters degree from CSU-P. If there is an armpit of the state, its Pueblo (we called it the pit-o-the-plains in grad school). What a crappy place in CO to live! There are tons of great places to live in this state, really.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,822 times
I'm from Michigan, and also said to myself only state I had in mind if I had to move out of Michigan is Colorado. I'm glad you had plenty of post, because now I'm starting to re-think about Colorado. I only can imagen how your re-thinking now. My image of Colorado is a true winter, but always a wonderful site of the mountains and green life. I wouldnt have expected to here its just brown, and dusty. Where is the colors? The nature, I'm very surprise to here all these comments. I never been to Colorado I have only seen pictures and read a little here and there, but it is always better to visit a place more than 2, again better to visit a place more than 2 before you consider to move there. Also know the area, before you move there... its never a good deal to only no so little of your area unless you was push there by your job.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:39 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,822 times
I would advise you to stick to Michigan, or at least the Mid-West. I mean we are tha nations heart land :P, I love it here.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,733 times
Thank you MorningGlory and 100%Michigan for understanding just where I come from!
And trust me MorningGlory...no offense. I can see why you would call this place that! I'm going insane here.....

I am sure there are alot of great places in Colo, and maybe it's just one of those 'different strokes for different folks' kind of thing, I don't know. I grew up as a WI native, moved to FL, moved back to WI and now am in Pueblo due to my spouse. I have been all over the state and I just don't dig it. The culture is just very different from what I know. Roping and Cattle Ranchers and cowboys....it just is foreign to me! Everyone tells me to "go visit the Moutains...it's green there". Well, I have, and while pretty to look at for a bit, and they just don't do it for me. I'd take a ocean view with some palm trees or the shoreline of one of the Great Lakes any day. The dry, the brown, the rural area I live in....the high taxes, the drivers here....I just can't handle it. I miss the green, friendly Midwestern people, grass and trees, and not to mention..paved roads! I know not all of CO is like this, but just the culture and such throughout the state is a shock for me that I don't think I will ever get used to, and moving is not an option....at least not now. I'm stuck. (Spouse is open to moving though....so there's hope!)
I'm sorry I don't like it here and no offense to anyone who lives here and does, I just really miss the Midwest...cold or not. Spring and Summers are beautiful up there. And heck, I like the humidity....so that doesn't bother me in the least.
I agree....stick to the Midwest. It may be nice to visit CO, but IMHO, much better to come home to, and live in the Midwest.

Last edited by summerlilac; 11-05-2007 at 12:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado