Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 PM

79 posts, read 303,110 times

Advertisements

I am currently a senior in college, and will be getting 2 bachelor's degrees in Computer Science and Computer Engineering, respective. I am looking forward to a decent job after college (expecting starting salary around 60k - 65k), but the material in my fields have gotten a little SICKENING after 4 years of this crap. I don't think a long term career in these fields would make me happy, but I don't really know what to go for if I abandon it. And plus, I would need the money from a stable job.

I have not applied to grad. school yet because I was hoping new experiences in the work world would lead me to new interests. But my gut tells me once I start working, I'll be stuck in the getting paid and paying bills cycle and I might never go back to grad. school at all. Thinking about this has been haunting me. If you went to grad. school, how did you do it?

Right now, my interests are cinema, economics, english, and psychology. As you can see, they're quite different from my current field. I don't know how hard it is to switch fields from undergrad. to grad. I only know people who stick in similar fields. This is my other worry. Might have to do a lot of background research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,646 times
Depending on how old you are, you might want to consider going back living with your parents and find work. You will then see what you like or where the opportunities are before going back for your master's. Should you decide to go for MBA, the good schools require a couple of years of work experience.
The money that you save from living with parents can be used for tuition or, should you decide you want to settle down, a house down payment.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
I went directly after getting my bachelors...if I were you, I would go right after you finish your undergrad degrees...there will not be many jobs available to find so you might as well be ahead of the game when the recession is over with a graduate degree.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,740,381 times
^^ Yeah that. This is what I'm planning on doing, it takes about two years of full-time graduate studies and by that time the recession will hopefully*start going away.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:04 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
^^ Yeah that. This is what I'm planning on doing, it takes about two years of full-time graduate studies and by that time the recession will hopefully*start going away.
I graduated with undergrad in 1990 and went straight into grad school...the economy was not great so it worked for me!!

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 AM

841 posts, read 4,841,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I went directly after getting my bachelors...if I were you, I would go right after you finish your undergrad degrees...there will not be many jobs available to find so you might as well be ahead of the game when the recession is over with a graduate degree.
I agree. I attended graduate school immediately following my undergraduate studies and I am so glad I made that decision. It kept me on track and I was ahead of the game when I graduated with my M.S.Ed. There were MANY more job opportunities with my master's degree as opposed to just having my Bachelor's degree.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I kept going to school (college, grad, etc) until I was done.

My wife worked first. But that makes more sense with an MBA.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,512,316 times
I thought about but I am just so damn tired of school at this point. I don't think I can go on to grad school.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:35 AM

703 posts, read 2,943,562 times
If you don't think you're currently motivated for more school then don't go. It'll be physically, emotionally, and financially draining. I graduated with my undergrad in 2002, took two years off to work and then realized that I couldn't do much with my B.S. degree then decided to go back to school for my PhD (mind you that when I graduated in 2002, I told myself and everyone else that there was ABSOLUTELY no way that I wanted to go to graduate school, let alone for a PhD in Medical Neuropharmacology).

In my mind, working those two years was a great decision because I made that decision to go back to school myself AFTER seeing what life would be like if I didn't. It was also a good way to 'recharge' the mind after so many consecutive years of schools. Lastly, I also suggest that rather than moving back home with your parents, the smart thing is to get an apt, live by yourself and fully support yourself. This way, you will have to live your life as a completely independent adult, thus seeing "Real life" and not the sheltered mommy/daddy supported life of a child that so many college students are going to do or have done nowadays.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:54 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
I graduated college 17 years after finishing high school, and earned my Masters' 17 years after getting the B.A. So, obviously, I'm a supporter of taking some time off between degrees .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities