Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 07:50 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Because then there should not be the movement to eliminate the SAT and ACT, but rather just tell students that life isn’t fair.
That is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for a society that has grown accustomed to believing that equality of outcomes is attainable.

This has been the Holy Grail of education in this country for the last 60 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 08:07 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
If you are confused how a couple of Korean shop owners when you walk in for ice cream at 7PM and see their kids studying at an empty table have *miraculously* developed a bunch of brilliant kids...go watch the movie about the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena) and instead of tennis, pretend it's math.

P.S. National Merit Finalist, zero prep, tiny school didn't know what AP was but parents without college educations took me to library all the time.

Oh wait, got another generation of NMF that passed with almost a perfect score. No prep classes even.

We make a lot of excuses that sports requires hard work and the academics is just luck and paying for test prep. Mmmmm I have some words that would get me banned for the people making that lame excuse.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:54 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
I went to school in an era where the Iowa tests, PSAT, and SAT were given extensively and which, in my experience, proved to be highly correllated to intelligence as well as future success.

After reading the whole thread I have a suspicion that the anti-SATers harbor a fear that this is a truth that ought not be admitted.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:42 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you are confused how a couple of Korean shop owners when you walk in for ice cream at 7PM and see their kids studying at an empty table have *miraculously* developed a bunch of brilliant kids...go watch the movie about the Williams sisters (Venus and Serena) and instead of tennis, pretend it's math.

P.S. National Merit Finalist, zero prep, tiny school didn't know what AP was but parents without college educations took me to library all the time.

Oh wait, got another generation of NMF that passed with almost a perfect score. No prep classes even.

We make a lot of excuses that sports requires hard work and the academics is just luck and paying for test prep. Mmmmm I have some words that would get me banned for the people making that lame excuse.

Agreed. We are a nation of cowards per K-12. The bottom 1/3 or so of our K-12 output is so dysfunctional they pose long term national security concerns.

We have legions of young men - at rates far higher than age peer young women - living with their parents long term. So many young men are dying from hard drugs their deaths are skewing-down overall longevity metrics. Most of this group range from engaged in ongoing criminal activity - others are utterly unemployable and still others are only marginally employable. And of course this group's educational attainment metrics are terrible.

________

We have friends who sat their girls down after school everyday at wall-facing desks in a hallway. Homework and studies began immediately after school.....exceptions being sports practices/games and school activities. "A's" were expected. Years on both have terminal degrees and great careers.

Other friends arrived from Nigeria with tattered clothes and a little cash. Years on two of their kids have masters degrees and two terminal degrees.

We paid our kids roughly an inflation adjusted $25 per class per A. Nothing for per B. Minus $25 per C. Although probably crass and certainly transactional we made it clear A's were the expectation. It worked.

I happen to know that of the 8 kids in my three anecdotes 4 were NMFs, 4 were NMSF commended or whatever it's called.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:30 AM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We have friends who sat their girls down after school everyday at wall-facing desks in a hallway. Homework and studies began immediately after school.....exceptions being sports practices/games and school activities. "A's" were expected. Years on both have terminal degrees and great careers.

Other friends arrived from Nigeria with tattered clothes and a little cash. Years on two of their kids have masters degrees and two terminal degrees.

We paid our kids roughly an inflation adjusted $25 per class per A. Nothing for per B. Minus $25 per C. Although probably crass and certainly transactional we made it clear A's were the expectation. It worked.

I happen to know that of the 8 kids in my three anecdotes 4 were NMFs, 4 were NMSF commended or whatever it's called.
Both of the above quotes illustrate why the idea that certain groups shouldn't be overrepresented in higher education is utterly absurd. Effort, cultural expectations for education and familial sacrifice for education are not equal across the board.

In particular, Asians being so overrepresented at the college level is not an injustice to be remedied. I've talked to literally tens of thousands of parents about test prep. With few exceptions, Asian parents are the ones calling about getting their sixth grader started (we discourage this) or asking questions to ensure our program is rigorous enough. It's simply a different level of cultural expectation, and a fair system is one in which that additional effort isn't penalized because other groups aren't working as hard.

Anyone who forms the belief that the system is biased based on crude demographic statistics and unequal enrollment numbers at the college level has no clue what they're talking about.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:11 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We have legions of young men - at rates far higher than age peer young women - living with their parents long term. So many young men are dying from hard drugs their deaths are skewing-down overall longevity metrics. Most of this group range from engaged in ongoing criminal activity - others are utterly unemployable and still others are only marginally employable. And of course this group's educational attainment metrics are terrible.
I wondered what happened at home to the legions of young men - divorced families, no fathers, parents not involved? It's sad because it's all so avoidable.

Money isn't the big factor in educational attainment, parental involvement is by far the biggest factor!

Old 04-04-2024, 01:15 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Both of the above quotes illustrate why the idea that certain groups shouldn't be overrepresented in higher education is utterly absurd. Effort, cultural expectations for education and familial sacrifice for education are not equal across the board.

In particular, Asians being so overrepresented at the college level is not an injustice to be remedied. I've talked to literally tens of thousands of parents about test prep. With few exceptions, Asian parents are the ones calling about getting their sixth grader started (we discourage this) or asking questions to ensure our program is rigorous enough. It's simply a different level of cultural expectation, and a fair system is one in which that additional effort isn't penalized because other groups aren't working as hard.

Anyone who forms the belief that the system is biased based on crude demographic statistics and unequal enrollment numbers at the college level has no clue what they're talking about.
Yeah, in the US if you're smart it's often described as lucky or a gift.

If it's athletics...well then it's noted how you must have put in a lot of hard work.

Not everybody, but yeah.

As I have gotten older I think back to my parents taking me and my sibling to the library, encouraging education etc. despite not going to college themselves and it makes me a bit mad that they just dismiss poor results from people as "unfairness" or how you can just magically buy test prep and voila...because that's a huge cop-out.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:13 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I wondered what happened at home to the legions of young men - divorced families, no fathers, parents not involved? It's sad because it's all so avoidable.

Money isn't the big factor in educational attainment, parental involvement is by far the biggest factor!
How is it avoidable? I think a lot of families would like to know your solution.

Quote:
Yeah, in the US if you're smart it's often described as lucky or a gift.

If it's athletics...well then it's noted how you must have put in a lot of hard work.

Not everybody, but yeah.

As I have gotten older I think back to my parents taking me and my sibling to the library, encouraging education etc. despite not going to college themselves and it makes me a bit mad that they just dismiss poor results from people as "unfairness" or how you can just magically buy test prep and voila...because that's a huge cop-out.
Intelligence and and athletic ability are similar. Most of it is what you're born with. You can work hard at both, but you're limited by what you were born with. The best you can do is maximize the ability you were born with. For example, I have three children. All three graduated from college. All three were encouraged by me to be involved in sports. That's where the similarity ends. My son is extremely bright, went to an Ivy League school, and became a physician. He was not very good in sports and resented that I pushed him to be better in sports.

My daughters were able to graduated from college but avoided math and science subjects. Math and science did not come easy to either of them. The one daughter was a natural athlete and excelled at sports. She set records in track, went to the state meet, started in soccer and basketball, and played basketball in college.

The other daughter played basketball in high school but did not start.

My point is that all three of my children had equal opportunities in both academics and sports. The difference was the abilities they were born with. My wife and I read to them when the were young, took them to the library, got them involved in every possible sport at an early age. All we could do was to help them maximize their abilities.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Intelligence and athletic ability are similar. Most of it is what you're born with. You can work hard at both, but you're limited by what you were born with. The best you can do is maximize the ability you were born with. For example, I have three children. All three graduated from college. All three were encouraged by me to be involved in sports. That's where the similarity ends. My son is extremely bright, went to an Ivy League school, and became a physician. He was not very good in sports and resented that I pushed him to be better in sports.

My daughters were able to graduate from college but avoided math and science subjects. Math and science did not come easy to either of them. The one daughter was a natural athlete and excelled at sports. She set records in track, went to the state meet, started in soccer and basketball, and played basketball in college.

The other daughter played basketball in high school but did not start.

My point is that all three of my children had equal opportunities in both academics and sports. The difference was the abilities they were born with. My wife and I read to them when they were young, took them to the library, got them involved in every possible sport at an early age. All we could do was to help them maximize their abilities.
We can't achieve equal outcomes even among siblings who are genetically similar and grew up in the same environment.

Yet, our educational system expects to achieve equal outcomes between classes, races and sexes across society as a whole.

Go figure.

Old 04-04-2024, 07:36 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We can't achieve equal outcomes even among siblings who are genetically similar and grew up in the same environment.

Yet, our educational system expects to achieve equal outcomes between classes, races and sexes across society as a whole.

Go figure.
And then declare "winner" that they are achieving that...by dropping grades, homework, eliminating final exams, ignoring discipline issues, etc.

The biggest game of "make believe" ever and now it's so obvious.

Over 1 million kids did not come back to public school when the pandemic lockdowns ended.
And those will be the kids that go on to get a real academic education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities