Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 05:25 AM

365 posts, read 215,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
He says he is passionate about "nurses". Not the nursing profession. "Nurses".

"Nurses" are not an ethnic group or a culture. It's still a female-dominated profession. This is officially creepy.
And you're being sexist.
(And btw I'm a gay male).

Old 01-13-2024, 07:12 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Post history matters.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Post history matters.
Which one of my posts then??
Btw I just took a look at your profile and there's a comment there from someone complaining that you insulted them. Post history matters I guess.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:39 AM

Your multiple posts about pursuing many very different careers that lack any sense of direction or seriousness?

Old 01-13-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Your multiple posts about pursuing many very different careers that lack any sense of direction or seriousness?
And your multiple posts complaining about it for no reason. Nobody's forcing you to engage with my threads....but it seems you like doing that despite complaining about them.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:58 AM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Exactly!
Lillie strung some of those theoretical pursuits together, but there are many more.

The OP needs to get serious and focus on what it is he really wants to do! He has been asking about alternative careers for three and a half years now.
Tick tock.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly!
Lillie strung some of those theoretical pursuits together, but there are many more.

The OP needs to get serious and focus on what it is he really wants to do! He has been asking about alternative careers for three and a half years now.
Tick tock.
[Yawn]. How petty.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Exactly!

Tick tock.
And Lillie left off a few doozies.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...obs-might.html

Old 01-13-2024, 08:17 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
I've always had an interest in nurses, mathematicians, and monks/nuns (yes, really ).

I'm pretty sure sociology, anthropology, and psychology would be the best choices. I know these professions can be studied within all three disciplines but still, is one of them considerably more suitable than the others? There's also guidance/careers counselling but I think that's very rare at doctorate level and maybe not at all...or am I mistaken?
EDIT: I'm interested in their professional experiences and motivations....and what people who practice these professions tend to have in common in terms of their psychological characteristics and background.
Guidance counseling (educational psychology) only requires an MA.

How are your math skills? That would give you a pretty good idea as to whether to devote a decade of your life to higher math. You'll get plenty of math in Ed Psych anyway: statistical analysis, etc.

Think also about which professions would be most rewarding for your: a high level of nursing (Physician's Assistant, say), mathematician, or guidance counselor.

If you're more interested in picking the brains of these professionals to understand what makes them tick (this is what your post sounds like you're after), there really isn't any demand for that. I can't imagine who'd hire you. An advanced degree in psychology could work, but you'd need to find a more practical application for the degree for your steady income, and do your research and writing on this esoteric topic on the side, I'm thinking.

Old 01-13-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Guidance counseling (educational psychology) only requires an MA.

How are your math skills? That would give you a pretty good idea as to whether to devote a decade of your life to higher math. You'll get plenty of math in Ed Psych anyway: statistical analysis, etc.

Think also about which professions would be most rewarding for your: a high level of nursing (Physician's Assistant, say), mathematician, or guidance counselor.

If you're more interested in picking the brains of these professionals to understand what makes them tick (this is what your post sounds like you're after), there really isn't any demand for that. I can't imagine who'd hire you. An advanced degree in psychology could work, but you'd need to find a more practical application for the degree for your steady income, and do your research and writing on this esoteric topic on the side, I'm thinking.
My maths is good and I like statistics a lot too.

With regards to the last paragraph, this interest is covered by industrial psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities