Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 03:24 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'll bet your kids will have those loans paid back in no time, too. They won't be the ones complaining about how they still have student loan debt in retirement.
Sometimes they are just as entitled as the rest of their generation, so we'll see!

I for one am all in having the feds forgive student loans. It is the worst policy ever enacted but if the Feds want to give me $30k, I am not saying no!

The worst part of this policy it will inordinately benefit the wealthy. The Dems are very confused when it comes to SALT and student loan forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 03:46 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Sometimes they are just as entitled as the rest of their generation, so we'll see!

I for one am all in having the feds forgive student loans. It is the worst policy ever enacted but if the Feds want to give me $30k, I am not saying no!

The worst part of this policy it will inordinately benefit the wealthy. The Dems are very confused when it comes to SALT and student loan forgiveness.
Well I'm sure some of the politicians would love to have their own student loans forgiven so I think the Dems aren't too confused about what they are doing..

Last edited by springfieldva; 06-29-2023 at 03:59 PM..

Old 06-29-2023, 05:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
The worst part of this policy it will inordinately benefit the wealthy.

Really? The wealthy have the majority of school loans? I doubt it.

Benefits and encourages an entire unaccountable industry to keep promoting themselves, raising tuition, and not delivering results. Equipping (?) Students, robbing parents in the name of success(?).

Have you hired recent grads? OMG they're likely very poorly educated.
What are we getting? What are we providing for our future?

Loan forgiveness?, Free rides? Free lunches?

Old 06-29-2023, 07:01 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I don't know... I think the two year community college degree should be incorporated into high school throughout the country. If really smart kids want to they could still be allowed to graduate in four years and everyone else could go 5-6. For those not going onto college some technical skills (be it computer, drone operator, nursing, massage, plumbing, electrical, etc. could be taught).

Then, let the market dictate university level college for grade 15, 16, 17, 18, etc. and take the feds out of the equation. See what happens. It would become competitive in quality and cost.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I don't know... I think the two year community college degree should be incorporated into high school throughout the country. If really smart kids want to they could still be allowed to graduate in four years and everyone else could go 5-6. For those not going onto college some technical skills (be it computer, drone operator, nursing, massage, plumbing, electrical, etc. could be taught).

Then, let the market dictate university level college for grade 15, 16, 17, 18, etc. and take the feds out of the equation. See what happens. It would become competitive in quality and cost.
EU / UK is somewhat similar A levels - O levels

I noted that Colorado reported 37,000 HS students took college level courses via Dual enrollment and AP. That's a good start for no really pushing that program. Some HS kids are ready, others are not. But having the choice is a great option for those who are beyond HS babysitting.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:31 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
EU / UK is somewhat similar A levels - O levels

I noted that Colorado reported 37,000 HS students took college level courses via Dual enrollment and AP. That's a good start for no really pushing that program. Some HS kids are ready, others are not. But having the choice is a great option for those who are beyond HS babysitting.
Dual enrollment is great for those that are ready for it. But it can be pretty disastrous for those who aren't ready for it. And, worse, there is the risk that DE classes will be watered down to help all students "succeed" which helps absolutely no one.

If kids are pushed to rush through the HS level in order to take DE, that could wind up undermining their entire foundation.

Old 06-29-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Dual enrollment is great for those that are ready for it. But it can be pretty disastrous for those who aren't ready for it. And, worse, there is the risk that DE classes will be watered down to help all students "succeed" which helps absolutely no one.

If kids are pushed to rush through the HS level in order to take DE, that could wind up undermining their entire foundation.
if DE is 100% aminsitered by tghe higher EDU institution and is a common 100+ level course available to all college enrollees, it's not gonna be watered down (nor should it be).

Either you can hack it, or you can't. Better to find out sooner (as a HS kid) han as a FT college kid.

I have known thousands of successful DE students, a challenge, but they could all hack it (by choice - the alternative is 2-4 wasted yrs with peers)). Just chatted with one a few minutes ago at a picnic. Tested into college as a 9th grader. He's ready (academically and emoitionally). Some are not. They can stay at the babysitter (public HS).

$39m is big bucks to save on tuition.
https://cccs.edu/concurrent-enrollment/
Colorado's Concurrent Enrollment Program

The program is open to 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th-graders who receive academic plan approval and meet application deadlines and college course requirements.

Save Time. Save Money. Get Ahead.
Over 37,000 high school students take advantage of Concurrent Enrollment each year. This saves families approximately $39 million in college tuition costs! CCCS colleges award approximately 2,700 credentials to Concurrent Enrollment students annually – which significantly reduces the time it takes for these students to complete their college degree by over one year! And these students also benefit by being more competitive in the job market post high school and when applying to college.

Data shows that Concurrent Enrollment students have a 25% higher rate of pursuing a college pathway or postsecondary workforce training.

https://cdhe.colorado.gov/educators/...ool%20district.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:36 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
How do you change withholding,say a person is single?
You can actually instruct your employer to hold more, even if you claim zero dependents. I had to do this back when I worked two jobs. I kept owing money (common with people who work more than ione job), so I calculated it on the witholdings worksheet, and had my employer hold $xx.xx more money per paycheck, just so I didn’t owe money at the end of the year.

Old 06-30-2023, 12:40 AM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

I like your idea, but do we really want 20 year olds hanging out with 14 year olds all day?

Old 06-30-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I like your idea, but do we really want 20 year olds hanging out with 14 year olds all day?
Those 14yo that still need babysat, can stay in their little age segregated cocoon. (Which has proven to not be so safe, encouraging, and successful).

Age segregated learning is a poor excuse for advancing knowledge and growing up a diversified learner and contributor to the entire society.

Adulting, would help stabilize loan choice and avoid the necessity (?) for forgiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities