Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 11:03 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I disagree with studying what is in demand. Study what you want, and know the limitations of the degree. Research salaries and avoid debt as much as possible.
So in other words, find a career in demand? You're essentially saying the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 12:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
So in other words, find a career in demand? You're essentially saying the same thing.
Ridiculously short sighted to plan a college major around a 'current', "in demand" career field.

You better be a few steps ahead of the crowd or you're destined to be buried by it. A comprehensive and transportable skillset that you are keeningly interesting in and continually up to date (and projecting into the future) is gonna serve you far better than rushing to the most current trend, which will undoubtedly overcrowded and may not even exist when you complete college.

That failure, is like following this type of advice... SAVING for college Many will be on with it and COMPLETE long before you are able to 'save money for college'
Quote:
1. Ignore most people over the age of about 45 when they talk about the cost. You're not going to save up the money to go to college unless your family is wealthy. Period. College debt is a part of life unless you got some wonderful scholarships. Simple math. Remember tuition is only part of the cost.
I've been on (3) campuses today (2) private (1) public and always engage with students, especially understanding thier financial and academic challenges. The vast majority are far beyond this: "Saving for college" and this: "Borrowing for college". Very few are on any type of 'wonderful scholarship', but quite a few are working very meaningful and significant jobs related to their majors.

Tips for College Filter your information, stick with those who are successfully traversing the territory, and are very positive, focused, and directed about their choice and their future.

The 'Engaged and successful', rather than the 'crybabies and failures'.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-17-2023 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-17-2023, 01:52 PM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Find the best looking girl in the class and sit beside her... And copy off of her.

Old 03-19-2023, 07:00 PM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ridiculously short sighted to plan a college major around a 'current', "in demand" career field.

You better be a few steps ahead of the crowd or you're destined to be buried by it. A comprehensive and transportable skillset that you are keeningly interesting in and continually up to date (and projecting into the future) is gonna serve you far better than rushing to the most current trend, which will undoubtedly overcrowded and may not even exist when you complete college.

That failure, is like following this type of advice... SAVING for college Many will be on with it and COMPLETE long before you are able to 'save money for college'

I've been on (3) campuses today (2) private (1) public and always engage with students, especially understanding thier financial and academic challenges. The vast majority are far beyond this: "Saving for college" and this: "Borrowing for college". Very few are on any type of 'wonderful scholarship', but quite a few are working very meaningful and significant jobs related to their majors.

[b][/B]Tips for College Filter your information, stick with those who are successfully traversing the territory, and are very positive, focused, and directed about their choice and their future.

Good post. A defeatist attitude won't get you anywhere.

Old 03-19-2023, 09:12 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
1. Ignore most people over the age of about 45 when they talk about the cost. You're not going to save up the money to go to college unless your family is wealthy. Period. College debt is a part of life unless you got some wonderful scholarships. Simple math. Remember tuition is only part of the cost.
Realize there are a lot of us over 45 who know exactly what college costs. Because many of us have kids in college now and are paying those bills.

Since people are making lists, I'll add some other thoughts.

1. Attend the most competitive college you can get in (as in highest caliber students). Being with top performers pulls you up with them. Surround yourself with people smarter than you are.

2. Grades -- you're likely to have that class/exam/paper where you get a 35. Most likely you've never experienced that before. After all, high school gives out A's like popcorn. You're not in high school anymore. Get used to it. Don't let it break you but learn new and better study habits.

3. Eat as healthy as you can. Freshman 15 is not a meme.

4. Get enough sleep.

5. Take the eight o'clock classes and other morning classes where you can. Gives you a lot more time in the rest of the day vs having it chopped up between them.

6. If you are in a STEM degree program, find a way to take part in undergrad research. It opens doors, makes contacts with professors, and give you experiences that many of your competitors won't have when apply for jobs. Consider Co-op if available.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Tips for College Filter your information, stick with those who are successfully traversing the territory, and are very positive, focused, and directed about their choice and their future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
[/b]

Good post. A defeatist attitude won't get you anywhere.
This isn't defeatist it's real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Realize there are a lot of us over 45 who know exactly what college costs. Because many of us have kids in college now and are paying those bills.

Since people are making lists, I'll add some other thoughts.

1. Attend the most competitive college you can get in (as in highest caliber students). Being with top performers pulls you up with them. Surround yourself with people smarter than you are.

2. Grades -- you're likely to have that class/exam/paper where you get a 35. Most likely you've never experienced that before. After all, high school gives out A's like popcorn. You're not in high school anymore. Get used to it. Don't let it break you but learn new and better study habits.

3. Eat as healthy as you can. Freshman 15 is not a meme.

4. Get enough sleep.

5. Take the eight o'clock classes and other morning classes where you can. Gives you a lot more time in the rest of the day vs having it chopped up between them.

6. If you are in a STEM degree program, find a way to take part in undergrad research. It opens doors, makes contacts with professors, and give you experiences that many of your competitors won't have when apply for jobs. Consider Co-op if available.
I could amend my first bit of advice and say ignore those over 45 not putting kids through college. Certainly those of you who are and are paying the slightest bit of attention know full well. I'll agree with the other advice you put on here. In addition to the eating healthy, I'd add use the gym facilities. You're paying for it anyway and it's a healthier stress outlet than drinking.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:50 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
I disagree with the Mrs. Degree comment by someone on this thread. Misogynist Much?

Truly though, college debt is a thing most people have to deal with.....

Old 03-20-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I disagree with the Mrs. Degree comment by someone on this thread. Misogynist Much?

Truly though, college debt is a thing most people have to deal with.....
At my university (less than 20 years ago) there were many, many women with worthless degrees who tried to snag an engineer or architect and bragged once they found one about not having to work. So yes, it's something to be aware of. There was even a scathing editorial criticizing such women in our campus newspaper. Call me misogynistic all you want.

Last edited by NDak15; 03-20-2023 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-20-2023, 10:53 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Find the best looking girl in the class and sit beside her... And copy off of her.
Man, you don't copy off the paper of the best-looking girl. Your odds of flunking the class will go up astronomically.

What you look for is Sheldon Cooper's girlfriend, Amy.

Old 03-20-2023, 10:57 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
At my university (less than 20 years ago) there were many, many women with worthless degrees who tried to snag an engineer or architect and bragged once they found one about not having to work. So yes, it's something to be aware of. There was even a scathing editorial criticizing such women in our campus newspaper. Call me misogynistic all you want.
So true. My son played football in college and he always talked about this harem that followed the football players to whatever party that they were at. You know what they were in college to study. Funny thing was is that a lot of them were members of the dance team. Well, go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities