Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 07:46 PM

251 posts, read 332,774 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting a MSW among other options. My strengths are that I'm a good listener, intuitive and can offer insight into mental health issues. (I've been there). I was wondering what the pros and cons of getting this degree to do clinical social work, if anyone has any suggestions? I have some of my own ideas that I'm journaling on and would like to see if anyone has insight that may assist me with making a decision to apply to a local program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:02 PM

51 posts, read 51,143 times
As a clinical social worker I will say that there are more cons on paper but it was worth it

Cons
Low pay while you're earning your lcsw hours
Unpaid internship for two years
Can be triggering or usetting of you have history of mental illness
When you first graduate, most jobs will be case management which an MSw isn't needed for.. $30-40k range

Pros
Lots of options as jobs
I found the right fit and love it
One of the three most recognized mental health titles (LCSW PHD PSY D) for billing and prestige\ credibility. At least in the North East. I think other states may be more lax and allow LPCs or LMHCs to bill insurance

Message me if you'd like to talk further
Also just wondering what state are you in?

Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,037,445 times
My wife is a MSW graduate and has worked with people in an extreme clinical setting in downtown Los Angeles at a housing commune. The environment, according to her, can be very corrosive and exhausting. Social Workers are often over-worked and stressed out by their job.

Pay is often lower than one would expect for such job conditions.

As far as licensing, my understanding is a LCSW license holder is cream of the crop and will have very SOLID job security. It does require a few exams. Here in MN, my wife is still studying for an exam that she was not required to have/take in CA. I suggest reviewing the licensing requirements for your state.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post
As a clinical social worker I will say that there are more cons on paper but it was worth it

Cons
Low pay while you're earning your lcsw hours
Unpaid internship for two years
Can be triggering or usetting of you have history of mental illness
When you first graduate, most jobs will be case management which an MSw isn't needed for.. $30-40k range

Pros
Lots of options as jobs
I found the right fit and love it
One of the three most recognized mental health titles (LCSW PHD PSY D) for billing and prestige\ credibility. At least in the North East. I think other states may be more lax and allow LPCs or LMHCs to bill insurance

Message me if you'd like to talk further
Also just wondering what state are you in?
The Affordable Care Act changed the whole billing issue. It hasn't been dismantled yet, so insurance companies are required to cover services offered by licensed mental health professionals. Interestingly, a lot of counselors didn't want to bother with insurance because it's easier to just take cash.

I don't know about social workers, but I know LPC and LMFT interns who are getting paid. I was paid as a chemical dependency counselor intern, which is the norm in my state.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:17 AM

Well thanks for the responses. I'm in Missouri and there a few part time programs here where I could still work full time for part of the program and part time for the remainder. I need the money coming in! Ultimately interested in drama therapy certification to do this with the degree.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I'm in the process of gaining counseling credentials in MO/KS, but via the counseling psych track vs. social work. It is a fairly lengthy master's program, but I enjoy it.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:10 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
Well thanks for the responses. I'm in Missouri and there a few part time programs here where I could still work full time for part of the program and part time for the remainder. I need the money coming in! Ultimately interested in drama therapy certification to do this with the degree.
LCSW certification would fit well into that desire based on my understanding of the degree and licensure. I recommend doing the MSW program full-time at a public university if you can. The program is only 2 years and having the traditional education looks better on a resume than the part-time route. I understand that can be difficult for some people, but it is the way to go if you are serious about pursuing the career.

Old Today, 02:36 PM

Default Finally going to go to school for my MSW

I have been doing casework for about 3 years now and finally will be going to school in the fall for my MSW. I noticed that there is not a lot of mention of this degree but I feel it is worthwhile. I'm excited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities