Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM

29 posts, read 27,774 times

Advertisements

I am like one semester away from completing my Bachelor in Criminal Justice. I do not want to be a cop or work in corrections. I was wondering what master degree would work well and help me get a good paying job in the future. If anyone out there has any advice, let me know!

Side note:
A couple of Master degrees I have been considering are ones in rather Cyber Security or computer science.

I was also considering a Master degree in Psychology or forensic psychology.

Has anyone taken any of these routes? Any advice or recommendations will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
Counseling psych may be useful depending on the work you'd like to do, and may dovetail with your current studies. Compensation varies depending on the venue in which you seek employment, i.e., private practice can be much more lucrative than agency work.

I'm in a master's program for that, currently, but it fits my interests. It's definitely not something you'd want to go into if you're not genuinely interested in the work.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Why did you get a CJ degree? For any reputable graduate program you are going to have to take a lot of pre-reqs to get you up to speed for graduate level work, as a CJ degree does not give you the computer background you need to study these topics at an advanced level. Your CJ degree is also probably going to be lacking in foundation courses for graduate psychology studies as well. What do you intend to do with a graduate degree in Psych?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,038,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpt10 View Post
I am like one semester away from completing my Bachelor in Criminal Justice. I do not want to be a cop or work in corrections. I was wondering what master degree would work well and help me get a good paying job in the future. If anyone out there has any advice, let me know!

Side note:
A couple of Master degrees I have been considering are ones in rather Cyber Security or computer science.

Has anyone taken any of these routes? Any advice or recommendations will be highly appreciated.
I think it is reasonable to try to discover what you want to do and then pursue the credential required. If what you want to do doesn't require a Masters, you will save time and money.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,478,728 times
What career trajectory do you want down the road?

For instance, a lot of CJ majors typically want to move into Law careers, and will work towards a JD eventually.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Why did you get a CJ degree? For any reputable graduate program you are going to have to take a lot of pre-reqs to get you up to speed for graduate level work, as a CJ degree does not give you the computer background you need to study these topics at an advanced level. Your CJ degree is also probably going to be lacking in foundation courses for graduate psychology studies as well. What do you intend to do with a graduate degree in Psych?
While the Computer Science degree doesn't seem to make much sense, the Cyber Security degree may pair well down the road. Thinking in terms of some more technical roles with the DOJ, FBI, CIA, or military.

It wouldn't be the first time in history that someone paired a "soft" degree with a more technical degree. There are a lots of career paths where a strong mix of both is valued.

Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,292,282 times
take up law or juris doctor or master in public admin

Old 01-10-2018, 03:06 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,315,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
While the Computer Science degree doesn't seem to make much sense, the Cyber Security degree may pair well down the road. Thinking in terms of some more technical roles with the DOJ, FBI, CIA, or military.

It wouldn't be the first time in history that someone paired a "soft" degree with a more technical degree. There are a lots of career paths where a strong mix of both is valued.
That's not how the military works. If you want a three letter agency, you should have gotten a better undergrad degree. If you can make a computer science degree work for you, that might be your best bet to get a federal job.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That's not how the military works. If you want a three letter agency, you should have gotten a better undergrad degree. If you can make a computer science degree work for you, that might be your best bet to get a federal job.
Please explain how the military works for me. This should be good.

BTW:

https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...fessional.html

As just one example. Anyone can do a simple search and find many more examples just like this. I just don't have time to dispute another silly STEM circle jerk at the moment.

Edited to add: I don't really want to argue this, as someone kindly pointed out through DM. I just want to help the OP, who is already near completion of his/her CJ degree. So whether you think the undergrad in CJ was worth the investment is an afterthought at this point. We need to focus on helping the OP find the best technical degree that he/she can pair with his/her current degree.

Last edited by Left-handed; 01-10-2018 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,662,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpt10 View Post

Side note:

Tell us a little bit more. Here are some questions that might help people (and you) get a better handle on what might be a good path for you. I'll group the questions into two categories -- your interests/experience and your profile for admissions to a masters program. No need to answer all of the questions here, but the more information you can provide here, the better the advice you might receive (and answering all of these questions for yourself might also help clarify some things for you)

Your interests: What types of courses have you enjoyed the most during your undergraduate years? Have you had any special focus in your undergrad program (i.e. forensics, law enforcement, or homeland security)? Have you done any internships during your undergrad program, and, if so, what were they focused on? Do you have any other work experience (including on campus jobs)? Have you met with someone in your school's career center or your adviser in your department to discuss your plans for after graduation?

Your master's degree admissions profile: How are your grades overall? Have you already taken the GRE? Do you have teachers who can write letters of recommendation for you? Have you already looked at some master's programs in your areas of interest, and considered their admissions requirements? Do you have the pre-requisite courses for admission? If not, do you have time to get those before you graduate?

Do you have any geographic restrictions or preferences for graduate school? Which universities are you considering for the different options (that might make a difference in someone's recommendation)

Finally, how do you plan to pay for graduate school? Can you pay full freight, or will you need financial assistance? Do you already have a lot of student debt from your undergraduate years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities