Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:51 PM

901 posts, read 748,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Which is why I question the point of getting a Bachelors
degree I mean some of those people still end up working at McDonald's

If I invest my time in my education I expect to be working in something not name McDonald's or Retail

4 or 5 years is a lot of time

Everyone emphasizes the point of going to school but c mon
How does someone with a Bachelors Degree end up in Retail or McDonald's?
Bad planning, worthless field of study, no internships, no experience in the field of study, self esteem issues, entitlement mentality, lack of work ethic, unwilling to relocate to where the jobs actually are etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 01:59 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,805,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No it doesn't guarantee it, you are correct. Nevertheless, there is a strong positive correlation between the two on a population basis - a number of peer-reviewed studies have shown that.
They are only accurate studies if they study it on a degree by degree basis. If you work for a small company a business degree doesn't matter if the owner of the company doesn't give a #### if you have one. The only thing a very small family company needs or a small company needs is a CPA once a year and notary sometimes.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:14 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,459,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert473 View Post
Which is why I question the point of getting a Bachelors
degree I mean some of those people still end up working at McDonald's

If I invest my time in my education I expect to be working in something not name McDonald's or Retail

4 or 5 years is a lot of time

Everyone emphasizes the point of going to school but c mon
How does someone with a Bachelors Degree end up in Retail or McDonald's?
Honestly if you run the numbers a bachelors comes out better then High school but by less then you think. According the the Social Security admin, if you adjust for socio economic background the average male with a bachelors makes $655,000 more over a lifetime. Then we have to deduct the cost of college, and add in 4 extra working years for the high school graduate. Say the high school grad makes $33k a year that's $132,000, let's say the college cost is $115,000 over 4 years. Say you borrow 70k and you had savings for the rest or a part time job. So at 5 years payback that would cost about $81k plus 45k so $126,000 in costs.

So we have

$655k Delta
less cost $126k
less lost earnings $132k
Which brings you to less then $400k

So about 10k a year more. Still not bad but not great either.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,396,012 times
Um...get an Engineering Degree...you'll get a job. Mechanical in particular is red hot right now, 70K to start. STEM undergrad with an ME degree is a gold card at the moment.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:39 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
The correlation between education and unemployment is highlighted:

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2015/un...april-2015.htm
Facts are conservative's kryptonite

Old 04-13-2017, 03:12 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
It's a shame, but it's a reality. Employers just don't want liberal arts grads anymore. They won't train anyone for anything.
We will train but it takes someone special that we would be willing to spent the big bucks, effort and time.

For us to train someone for the entry level we're going to spend anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000 before they are even remotely useful and what I care about more than anything else is work ethic. It takes one to two years training just to be able to do some work that pays more into the company than the new employee takes out. It is a huge investment and one of the biggest we have.

If someone in an interview asks about vacation time, time paid off, sick days and personal days they can simply get up and walk out because I am done. You are not working for me to have vacations you are working for me to get a job done.

I like hiring people that like to work.

If someone appears to be a good candidate one of my final questions is "You can have it one way or the other but you can not have it both ways. In regards to working hours you can come in at 8:00 AM, take lunch between 12:00 and 1:00 and leave at 5:00 and I will pay you for 40 hours. If I need you to work overtime we pay time and a half.

Or you can come in when you want, you can take lunch when you want and you can leave when you want. If you are sick we pay, if you want a vacation just take it and if a nice spring day comes along and you want to go play a round of golf just tell me you're going to play some golf because I might want to go with you. If you decide to go this route you set your own hours, you never miss any appointments and you do whatever it takes to get the job done and if that means working all weekend then you need to work all weekend.

One way or the other it is your decision. How would you like your hours to be?"

I go for the guy who wants to set his own hours and have the freedom of flexibility.

I design fire sprinkler systems and in my field less than 18% have a bachelors degree or higher.... most of us are high school graduates and we do OK.

The unemployment rate among our group is 0%; if you don't have a job it's because you do not want one.

Pay is decent and we start new trainees out at between $12 to $15 because we want someone that is smarter than average than can handle the learning because most can't.

At four years you should be earning at least $40k and I am not talking about New York or San Francisco but Flyoverville, Nebraska. If you work hard at ten years you can expect between $60 and $70k again in Flyoverville which isn't that bad really.

Average Salary for Certification: National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) - Level IV

Nobody cares about a degree it's all about that certification and with that you can get a lot of job security which is the biggest plus on the job other than it's a fun job really.

I could care less about college I don't even want to hear about it unless your degree is in social justice in which case you're to stupid to work for me. Yeah, I am sure to catch a lot of flack for that statement but that is just the way it is in real life.

Oh, and I am 69 years old and still working full time so I have some job experience.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:13 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,950,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick5575 View Post
having a degree doesnt guarantee higher pay. Im sick and tired of that fallacy
Did you actually click on the link ccm123 provided? Are you saying the unemployment stats in the graph are "made up"?

Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
College doesn't guarantee a job, but it offers a better chance at getting one than someone who doesn't have a college degree. Furthermore, there are many careers where you MUST have a degree to perform the job; doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:49 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,188,642 times
Im right there with you.

My degree got me nothing when it came to employment. Waste of money, time and effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Guy, what can I say? I am not some kind of deity that can make things better.

When I studied, I seriously thought I was walking a staircase of guaranteed life progress. I was proved to be wrong.

There are a thousand call centers with people with degrees, sitting answering the phone doing minimum wage jobs, all because they thought the same thing.

Yes, a degree should supplement a great career. But it is a supplement. It is not the food. I'm sorry that life lied to me in my teen years. Life has a habit of that.

We need to re-understand our education, maybe universities have become too good at selling their degrees against young men and women who don't need useless degrees, they only need work.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:22 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times
Not all degrees are the same. Sadly young people in the US are encouraged to pursue their passion instead of pursue something they are good at and can make a career of. Fortunately for me, I figured it out mid college. Others aren't so fortunate. Many others went to college and never actually got a degree and wonder why their prospects are tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities