Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
I'm still going to apply to the UC Schools, I already know it not going to be easy but one who never tries never wins... I might as well give it a shot even if my chances are slim to (almost )none.
Univ. Penn have been considered on my part but it doesn't light my fire for some reason.
Stanford doesn't have a business program either... how is it they're in the LEAD if they're not in business?
Naw...don't worry I'm not upset as much as determined to bring it up. Crying gets you no where I still have an open mind, but even before I was considering careers I loved learning languages, I like traveling and I think it would be cool to be able to see the world and get paid. I've looked into it and Business might offer that and the Foreign services too. I've looked into what is required for foreign services and saw that you don't have to take a specific course, and so taking business school might help me as well as give me more time to decide.

You have to understand that most people pursuing the kind of career that you plan on have MBAs and not an undergraduate business degree. To be quite honest, I can see a time when a business degree will mean nothing because they are so prolific.

Also, another thing you have to consider that the East coast is pretty much your bet bet when it comes to studying business. Also, whomever said that MIT isn't good for business doesn't know what they're talking about. To be honest, I think it would actually benefit you to apply to MIT as a prospective business major because most of the students applying there study the hard sciences. So many people apply to Wharton and Stern that it's so much harder to get in. I know, I go to the University of Pennsylvania.

Another good option for you would be Emory University. It's in Atlanta, but they have a great business school. Also, Washington University and my alma mater Tulane.

I understand that you would like to go to one of the UCs, but other than the fact that out-of-staters have a hard time gaining admittance, the price would be a factor. Why would you have your parents pay tuition to UC Berkeley when UT has a awesome business school. Sure you can get in, but you seriously have to have something amazing going for you to get any kind of decent financial aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,041 times
yeah... MIT is still up there.
If I apply and get accepted to both my parents are probably going to force me to go to MIT, which is actually 2nd only to Berkeley.
My father has lately been pushing me to forget about most of the UC Schools and go for MIT, Rice, and UM Ann Arbor... UT Austin is there too but they really want me to go to a top tier college, colleges who are extremely known and selective...
I still want to go to Berkeley, but MIT i still might take (by my will) if I get accepted to both...

Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
yeah... MIT is still up there.
If I apply and get accepted to both my parents are probably going to force me to go to MIT, which is actually 2nd only to Berkeley.
My father has lately been pushing me to forget about most of the UC Schools and go for MIT, Rice, and UM Ann Arbor... UT Austin is there too but they really want me to go to a top tier college, colleges who are extremely known and selective...
I still want to go to Berkeley, but MIT i still might take (by my will) if I get accepted to both...
That my friend should not be of any concern to you. And will end up hurting you in the end. Go where you feel comfortable.

When I was a senior I was planning on going away for college. I actually wanted to go to Princeton. Well, my father wanted me to go to the University of Alabama. It's kind of a family thing. So, even though I had gotten into every school I applied to, I decided to go to Alabama. Well, it would be an understatement if I said I hated it. It was just not for me at all. And it sucked because I knew I blew my chance of going to Princeton (they don't accept transfers). Needless to say, I ended up calling one of the schools that had offered me a scholarship (Tulane) and I was there the next semester. I had a blast (Hurricane Katrina notwithstanding!)and I would totally recommend it.

But my parents sort of did the opposite of what your parents want for you. My dad did his undergrad at Alabama and then he went to Harvard for medical school. My mom went to Harvard for undergrad and grad school. She didn't really push me either way. But my dad really wanted me to go to Alabama.

Also, UT Austin is definitely a "top tier" university. Don't let anyone fool you.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:58 PM

oh yeah...I know that...but like there are bigger fish out there...i guess you could say.
My Interests tend to correlate with theirs, the only thing we don't agree with is the UC schools, I want to go but my dad says that they have nice weather and its CA so they get better people then they really deserve... HE says I have a better shot at MIT then UC Berkeley...but I don't care I'm fond of both of them.

This is for me...not them...but they're going to help me pay...so i better be kind to my pocket...and theirs too...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
a serious queston--- seeing the heavy debt burden so many young people now have, i have doubts, that a 4 year degree is the best road. military or jr college vocation training i think are valid options. too many young people are starting out life with monster loans. there are numerous options, but, my favorite vocational is RN. i have seen HR people post on CD that there is preference for university educated RN's. but with the great shortage of nurses, i still think jr college or military is a great cost free/debt free way to go. its not worth 50k plus, in debt to just have that extra lil something to put on a resume. student loans are non dischargable in bankruptcy.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 PM

The schools that he's looking at have low student debt numbers because they have more money to give out. And trust me, it's worth the 50k if you want a career.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
dear pennquaker--- no doubt you shine like a diamond in everything you do, i bet you had no problems with or without student loans. great job great school never a problem. however i am thinking of the 50% of young people that bomb out of college and are sitting on mommy's couch unemployed. arrears on student loans show on TRW, TRW screening is standard procedure for hiring. in other words you become unemployable. of course everyone starts out assuming that they are going to be the winner, not the loser, in the game of debt.
i was thinking of them.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 03-07-2008 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Yeah, I'll take the debt, my parents said they would help me out a lot. Which is real nice of them, and since they're going to give me such a gift I would figure to make the most out of it but put the least amount of stress on their pockets.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
a serious queston--- seeing the heavy debt burden so many young people now have, i have doubts, that a 4 year degree is the best road. military or jr college vocation training i think are valid options. too many young people are starting out life with monster loans. there are numerous options, but, my favorite vocational is RN. i have seen HR people post on CD that there is preference for university educated RN's. but with the great shortage of nurses, i still think jr college or military is a great cost free/debt free way to go. its not worth 50k plus, in debt to just have that extra lil something to put on a resume. student loans are non dischargable in bankruptcy.
well, if the OP does get into MIT, and his/her family makes under $75k, OP could go for FREE

MIT is being very generous, but other schools offer good finaid that can make it almost as cheap going to those school then going to a vocational school/jr college (basically, would probably just have to pay for room and board and maybe books)

Old 03-19-2008, 06:25 AM

29 posts, read 144,486 times
eevee had a great recommendation. Several universities have followed suit and made tuition free for students whose families make under a certian amount. Stanford, Dartmouth, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Brown, etc. all made similar announcements though the amount varies from school to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities