Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,021,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
On of my best friends has an environmental science degree and a GIS cert (the entry one) and has a job at a private environmental firm making about $55k after 4 years at this job. She likes what she does which is basically make online interactive maps using GIS/GPS data of brownfields for use by the DEP in planning and remediation.
I was thinking of doing this too. Johns Hopkins offers a masters in Enviro Sci and a GIS cert.

I really want to study urban planning though and entry level GIS, but if Enviro Sci is more lucrative then I have to go with something that will cover the student debt.

Overall though you think a GIS cert is good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Excellent. Even though I am far more interested in planning, one of the first programs I was interested in was Environmental Science (specialization in Enviro Planning).

I was looking at Johns Hopkins University's Enviro Sci masters program which offer all but two courses online. I would have to fly to DC and attend JHU for a semester. I was going to couple that with the GIS certificate they have.

That was my first plan. The second is to just study what I want to ultimately do which is Urban Planning. I can easily do a program here in Planning and couple it with GIS cert.

Essentially what you're saying is a GIS cert is enough to land entry level?
She got the foot in the door by being an env sci major willing to work in the field initially. She was still in the GIS certification process but it definitely helped. She did work in the field for a year before being brought into the office.

I think your odds of getting a GIS job with an environmental firm is higher if you are willing to get "dirty" for a year so they know you know more than just the computer.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of doing this too. Johns Hopkins offers a masters in Enviro Sci and a GIS cert.

I really want to study urban planning though and entry level GIS, but if Enviro Sci is more lucrative then I have to go with something that will cover the student debt.

Overall though you think a GIS cert is good enough?
I better ask her. I will go message her on FB and see what she thinks.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Thank you. Regardless, the Enviro Sci is a backup track in case I do not get into the Urban Planning program of my choice. I still want to get the GIS cert no matter what.

Anyone else in here think that a Planning degree with a GIS cert is a good track and better than getting a masters in GIS?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times
I think a masters in geography is a better track than either option. Masters in GIS is just a little too specific and it can be very easy to turn the program into high level software training. Planning has been hurting lately the same way as architecture. When there is no construction, both areas have less demand.
If you really want a GIS job, the best options in my opinion are computer science with a geography minor and gis concentration, or geography with a computer science minor and gis concentration. If you are going the online route, I view Penn State as one of the best, if not the best, reputation online geography/gis program.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 PM

I looked through penn states world campus website and didn't find a masters in geography.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I looked through penn states world campus website and didn't find a masters in geography.
Yes, theirs is a Masters of Geographic Information Systems, but it is offered purely through the department of Geography.
Penn State | Online Master of Geographic Information Systems | Course List

I am not sure that you will find an online Masters of Science in Geography degree. Since it is an academic degree (note that the Penn State degree above is a professional degree), an MS in Geography is almost always going to be all or predominantly on campus.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Is the Penn State GIS degree highly regarded in the field?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Is the Penn State GIS degree highly regarded in the field?
I believe so.
They have a well known faculty (same as their Geography Dept) and a very strong and well connected alumni organization that is shared with the geography department.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Regardless, the Enviro Sci is a backup track in case I do not get into the Urban Planning program of my choice. I still want to get the GIS cert no matter what.

Anyone else in here think that a Planning degree with a GIS cert is a good track and better than getting a masters in GIS?
Ok talked to the bestie. She says if you get in to urban planning program to do that with the GIS cert but if you can't get in than Env Sci is a good back up.

Either way, she said make sure you are willing to work in the field, at least in the beginning, if you want to work for an Env. Engineering firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities