Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:52 AM

6,314 posts, read 6,883,376 times

Advertisements

My uncle had 200k+ in student loan debt. Granted, he went to an out of state Ivy League for his undergrad, then went to the #2 medical school in the country. I'm pretty sure there are few who had more debt than he did. But also that was in the early 90s and late 80s, before the extreme increase in tuition.

My grandfather told me he got a full ride to the U of AZ but my uncle declined it because he said "I did not work this hard in high school to go to a state school."

Yes, some people think that way. But my uncle always talks about how great his experiences were at Penn. Even if he didn't get into medical school, a Biology degree from Penn would've gone really far anyway. For my uncle, the premium was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,226,945 times
I think its sad that in America now being tens of thousands of dollars in debt is seen in society as normal

Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 AM

5,072 posts, read 6,384,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
My uncle had 200k+ in student loan debt. Granted, he went to an out of state Ivy League for his undergrad,
I thought Ivy League schools were all private-which means the tuition would be the same no matter where the school was in relation to the student's residence?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,489,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
My uncle had 200k+ in student loan debt. Granted, he went to an out of state Ivy League for his undergrad, then went to the #2 medical school in the country. I'm pretty sure there are few who had more debt than he did. But also that was in the early 90s and late 80s, before the extreme increase in tuition.

My grandfather told me he got a full ride to the U of AZ but my uncle declined it because he said "I did not work this hard in high school to go to a state school."

Yes, some people think that way. But my uncle always talks about how great his experiences were at Penn. Even if he didn't get into medical school, a Biology degree from Penn would've gone really far anyway. For my uncle, the premium was worth it.
It can be worth it for the right combination of elite degrees. Of course, I doubt this thread was created wth medical graduates in mind, where six figure debt is de rigueur and justified.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Exactly. Agree 100%. Different people. Different experiences. While some people do make stupid decisions with college loans, some people may just not know better.

It is possible for a reasonably intelligent, first generation college student to grow up in a poor area where nobody else is around to give advice. They go to a big school where they are just a number, and all they want to do is graduate. As said in the previous post - you aren't born with finance knowledge.

Disclaimer - I have been college-debt free for a long time, but I am old enough to know the world does not operate in a black/white yes/no 1/0 fashion. Lots of grey areas, and even smart people can get caught in a grey area under the right, or wrong, circumstances.
Yeah I can agree with this. The biggest argument I always hear is "be responsible, pay your debts. I paid mine off so should you". It's honestly a horrible mentality. If you want them to be in your shoes then you should be in theirs too, right? Why not graduate, have trouble finding a job, let your loan go past due, take some $11/hour job just to manage, let your loan go into default, and see where you're at.

People may not realize, or maybe they do, that one debt affects the next. With so many younger people graduating and having trouble finding a job, at some point it will affect their credit. How does that come into play later when they want a new car, a house, or even starting a family?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:30 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,721,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
It cost me $30k over 4 years for my accounting degree and I was able to graduate with no debt by working my way through school. Got a nice job to boot. I'm sorry, but I don't get people who come out of college with crushing debt. When I think of someone graduating with $100k in debt, the person I have in mind is the art or theater type living in lala land who goes to the expensive, private "art school" for an ego trip. Then after graduating and reality hits that you are only qualified to work at McDonald's while trying to service a mountain of debt, the tears start running. I have no sympathy.
I have no sympathy, either. I worked my way through college. ZERO debt. I don't think student loans even existed back then .

Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,596,258 times
Peeples is dum.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I have no sympathy, either. I worked my way through college. ZERO debt. I don't think student loans even existed back then .

This is like saying I have no sympathy for someone who lost their job in the crash and lost their house because they couldn't find work elsewhere. Your situation is YOUR situation, doesn't mean everyone else will follow the same as you. When you say back then, you mean....? How much was tuition back then? What was the unemployment rate?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:44 AM

5,346 posts, read 6,194,708 times
Quote:
It cost me $30k over 4 years for my accounting degree and I was able to graduate with no debt by working my way through school. Got a nice job to boot. I'm sorry, but I don't get people who come out of college with crushing debt. When I think of someone graduating with $100k in debt, the person I have in mind is the art or theater type living in lala land who goes to the expensive, private "art school" for an ego trip. Then after graduating and reality hits that you are only qualified to work at McDonald's while trying to service a mountain of debt, the tears start running. I have no sympathy.
My brother has about 120k from a masters degree in computer science @ a top 5 CS school.

Sister has about the same from a top 20 law school.

I am the one that got a graduate degree in a social science and I am the one with no debt at all.

Does that match your "picture"?

Old 02-10-2014, 10:46 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,307,541 times
Quote:
Here is my story:

I chose to go to school out-of-state.

I chose to attend full-time.

College was a dirty-word around my house, and my parents contributed zero towards my education and zero towards my living expenses.

I did get scholarships and merit aid, but not enough to cover full tuition nor living expenses. Out of my near $30K/year tuition, I still had to come up with roughly $5K out of pocket yearly just to cover tuition.

I worked full time, but still needed some extra help financially. So...

I chose to take out student loans. I got just over $30K.

If you check my history with this particular forum, or any other forum on City-Data, I have never once blamed others or the system for my debt nor have I cried over what I owe. It was all my choice.

Ironically, if you want to look at that way, I have a credit card with a $23K line of credit. I could get more if I want to. Federal Loans, it turns out, had/have a lower APR even though my credit card is from a credit union.

Here is how I look at it: I own and drive a seven year old vehicle that I keep in top shape as best I can. I paid for it up front, so no monthly car payments. Outside of my credit card, my student loans are my only other debt-related responsibility at the moment. Realistically, my debt-load is below the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities