Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM

244 posts, read 707,419 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 22 year old, I recently had to take a year off from college due to the fact I was having emotional problems. However, I'm currently interested in going back to pursue some form of education and learning new skills in the workforce.

I applied for a program for people who have disabilities ( I have Autism), that helps train people in different careers, including vocational occupations. Besides English & History, I have struggled with many courses, including Math & Sciences, the only courses I enjoyed were courses where I learned a specific skill (such as First Aid and Safety).

I do enjoy college, and I attempted to transfer to online college, but I don't have the necessary credits to be accepted. Instead, I decided to pursue possibly a certification or forget college all together.

That being said, I know Medical Coding/ Billing & other certifications that help people find employment in the work force. Should I continue pursuing a degree? Or should I focus on a certification? Or should I choose an alternative plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
Hello, I'm a 22 year old, I recently had to take a year off from college due to the fact I was having emotional problems. However, I'm currently interested in going back to pursue some form of education and learning new skills in the workforce.

I applied for a program for people who have disabilities ( I have Autism), that helps train people in different careers, including vocational occupations. Besides English & History, I have struggled with many courses, including Math & Sciences, the only courses I enjoyed were courses where I learned a specific skill (such as First Aid and Safety).

I do enjoy college, and I attempted to transfer to online college, but I don't have the necessary credits to be accepted. Instead, I decided to pursue possibly a certification or forget college all together.

That being said, I know Medical Coding/ Billing & other certifications that help people find employment in the work force. Should I continue pursuing a degree? Or should I focus on a certification? Or should I choose an alternative plan?
I am autistic and went the vocational route after highschool. Biggest mistake I've made with my professional/educational life. I'm in school now 20 years later and it's much harder than when I was younger. At least get an Associate Degree with transferable credits in the field you want to get certified in. It will only help in your career and will be easier if you decide to go back to school later for a bachelor. BTW, once you get past the general education credits in college, you will like it more. As someone who is autistic, I can tell you that the general ed classes are challenging because they are expecting you to think like "everyone else". My biggest whine during those classes is that how the "eff" am I supposed to know what the teacher is thinking? I have my own answer and my own way of doing it! Now that I'm taking some classes past the beginning level, I am finding more room for independent thought.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I am autistic and went the vocational route after highschool. Biggest mistake I've made with my professional/educational life. I'm in school now 20 years later and it's much harder than when I was younger. At least get an Associate Degree with transferable credits in the field you want to get certified in. It will only help in your career and will be easier if you decide to go back to school later for a bachelor. BTW, once you get past the general education credits in college, you will like it more. As someone who is autistic, I can tell you that the general ed classes are challenging because they are expecting you to think like "everyone else". My biggest whine during those classes is that how the "eff" am I supposed to know what the teacher is thinking? I have my own answer and my own way of doing it! Now that I'm taking some classes past the beginning level, I am finding more room for independent thought.

I find that it's extremely difficult because of certain courses and being autistic, which is a lot harder for me socially. I tried applying to online school but I don't have the Math credit to fully transfer over. So I'm stuck in my community college which I highly dislike. I will visit the disability services soon to decide if they have any programs or help for me in taking my courses. But it will be difficult, there has to be another way, college isn't for everyone, but there has to be another professional route to take! It is frustrating.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
OP, what are you interested in? My daughter has Aspergers, and I am concerned for the same exact thing with her. She will graduate high school this year.

All she would like to do is work in a library. I suppose it limits her social interaction to not as much as other positions in other career paths would. I know she has issues being around people a lot, so she would not be good at a job where you need to be a "people person."

As far as I am concerned, I like helping people. I am in school right now and I am wondering what direction to go as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:47 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead360 View Post
I find that it's extremely difficult because of certain courses and being autistic, which is a lot harder for me socially. I tried applying to online school but I don't have the Math credit to fully transfer over. So I'm stuck in my community college which I highly dislike. I will visit the disability services soon to decide if they have any programs or help for me in taking my courses. But it will be difficult, there has to be another way, college isn't for everyone, but there has to be another professional route to take! It is frustrating.
I get it. I'm fortunate that my college is online. St. Petersburg College. Could you take an online math course or two from out if state to transfer to your instate online program?

Certainly, there are trades that lay well without a degree. I think being a marine mechanic would be great. Just me on the waterfront and the machinery! Check out the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statostics). You can explore different careers and see what they typically pay, how available they are, and what's needed to get them.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
OP, what are you interested in? My daughter has Aspergers, and I am concerned for the same exact thing with her. She will graduate high school this year.

All she would like to do is work in a library. I suppose it limits her social interaction to not as much as other positions in other career paths would. I know she has issues being around people a lot, so she would not be good at a job where you need to be a "people person."

As far as I am concerned, I like helping people. I am in school right now and I am wondering what direction to go as well.
I do enjoy writing as a hobby, but I know that there are programs out there that help people who have disabilities such as your daughter to help succeed in the work place. One program I know of in NY ( not too sure but you could research if such programs exist in your state) is VESID. I actually applied there and I'm hoping that I get accepted into the program because of my Aspergers and learning disability. Your daughter may be able to get an assessment that focuses on her skills and a career where she can take care of herself.

Hope this helps! I'm still going through the online college route.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
I don't know if any of these have online programs, but these colleges are specifically geared toward those with learning disabilities.
- Beacon College
Curry College - Home
Why Landmark? — Landmark College

These schools are supposed to have excellent programs for those with learning disabilities.
Colleges With The BEST Learning Disability Programs (PHOTOS)
http://www.college-scholarships.com/...sabilities.htm

There are many decent paying jobs that only require vocational/technical training, but all of them may not be good for someone with autism. You just have to figure out what interests you and what's a comfortable work environment.

LVN/LPN
Paralegal
Plumber
Electrician
HVAC Technician
Automotive Technician
Real Estate Agent
Cosmetologist
Alarm Technician
Massage Therapist
Truck Driver
And the list goes on.

You might even be able to get into IT by earning certifications from Comptia, Cisco, Microsoft, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities