Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:14 PM

15 posts, read 20,258 times

Advertisements

I agree, i recently went back to Community College and there's some kids who Dont pay attention or Come to class once a week. Oh well it's there loss, they'll have a hard time paying off there student loans in the future

Old 11-29-2011, 04:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
u r so right but they are in fact smarter than university students. the university students are paying $70 bucks a unit to waste your time instead of $20 a unit.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
u r so right but they are in fact smarter than university students. the university students are paying $70 bucks a unit to waste your time instead of $20 a unit.
The smart ones don't pay for university education. It's everyone else who has to pay for it or go to Community College.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

If she's AP'd out of some of the classes then she essentially AP'd out of some freshman/sophomore courses and would be ready for junior level courses sooner.
Correct. And the classes she would have needed are not offered at our CC.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
That's a dubious claim.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
That's a dubious claim.
It is sort of true though. Probably 80% of college students are taking pretty much the same classes for the first two years. Engineering and some other majors excepted. If you can take the GE and electives at a CC for a fraction of the cost then why not? Now, there is value of taking in the whole college experience - no argument there - but from strictly a dollars and sense argument, it's tough not to concede the first couple years at a CC.

If money is not an object, then sure the four year is the way to go. Football games, basketball games, traditions, dorm fun, university pride, etc.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:46 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,426 times
Quote:
It is sort of true though. Probably 80% of college students are taking pretty much the same classes for the first two years. Engineering and some other majors excepted. If you can take the GE and electives at a CC for a fraction of the cost then why not? Now, there is value of taking in the whole college experience - no argument there - but from strictly a dollars and sense argument, it's tough not to concede the first couple years at a CC.

If money is not an object, then sure the four year is the way to go. Football games, basketball games, traditions, dorm fun, university pride, etc.
Yeah... see my post above about expectations and rigors. I'm not against CC, I'm just saying that it's USUALLY a different academic environment when compared to a <good> university.

Don't confuse practicality with ingenuity. That's only half the battle. I know plenty of practical people who are not that smart intellectually.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
For a family of 4 with a household income of $80,000, my 4 year small private school costs $4,780/year (The rest is covered by financial aid grants). This includes tuition, room, board, books and personal expenses, and travel/transportation.

According to the CollegeBoard, the average tuition for a community college is $2,963/year. This does not include room, board, books, etc.

It hardly seems to be much of a difference in terms of cost. In fact, price was a major factor in why I chose my university. It would have cost me more to go to a state school, sadly.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:05 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times
If I'm not worth a dam, am I at least worth a windmill?

(future drug dealing taxi driver in training)

Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And many just know a bargain when they see one. The cost of two years at a community college is less than the cost of 1 semester at a 4 year university and you're taking the same classes.

However, I do think the quality of students is on the decline. Before I left industry, I was noticing that the quality of the graduates we were hiring wasn't up to snuff. We have a generation of kids who were raised as the center of the family who played on teams where there were no losers, where they were giving trophies for just showing up and everyone got a prize...
Maybe where you live but here, CC are NOT the same classes. They are not even taught by full professors. Sorry, they are not even close to the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have every intention of sending my kids to CC for the first two years simply because of the cost save. I will, literally, shave three years off of the cost of both of my girls educations combined. Also, there are scholarship opportunities available to transfer students. I came out of a CC and won a full scholarship to a private university to study engineering. I would have had nothing in the way of financial aid if I'd gone to a 4 year university first.
Here classes don't automatically transfer and none of the private schools here accept CC credits....those 2 years at a CC would be a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For a family of 4 with a household income of $80,000, my 4 year small private school costs $4,780/year (The rest is covered by financial aid grants). This includes tuition, room, board, books and personal expenses, and travel/transportation.

According to the CollegeBoard, the average tuition for a community college is $2,963/year. This does not include room, board, books, etc.

It hardly seems to be much of a difference in terms of cost. In fact, price was a major factor in why I chose my university. It would have cost me more to go to a state school, sadly.
Can you hop over to the MN board and post this on the "Carleton Students" thread If you add in room and board for a CC student, even living at home they cost money, your costs are probably close to the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities