Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:53 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Private schools do have a big price tag but they also have more financial aid to offer so often the package you get at the private school will be LESS then what you would pay at a state school.

I believe very strongly in the outside the classroom learning that goes on when a child goes away for school. Yes, academics are important but so are the life lessons you learn living in a dorm room, dealing with your own issues and not having immediate access to mom/dad to solve your problems.

Would I encourage my child to go to a community college, no. If that were the only post-secondary option he/she could get into, that would be just fine by me then but since birth we have been encouraging a 4 year school for our kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 06:32 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
I would depending on the reputation of the college. I go to NOVA comm college in Virginia which is VERY highly regarded and really inexpensive. most 4-yr schools in VA love to see students transferring from NOVA. But if u are asking if i would tell a kid to go to a comm college over a state school with a good reputation that is in the same price range i would say go to the 4-yr school.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:44 PM

28 posts, read 136,405 times
I never heard anyone speak down on CC in general.... I would suggest it and be supportive if that was the route my child wanted to take. I see nothing wrong with it and the programs seem to be just as good...

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,949 times
I'm with you on that. For those that speak down on CC, it's usually a reflection of some outdated thinking, I believe. Considering 'how' you get your education is something that is changing everyday (online programs, fast track programs, weekend programs, adult education, etc. etc.), I think going to a cc is less important than the fact that you received the bachelor's degree in the end. And as far as going off to grad school, I got accepted with out any problem (and I started off attending a cc).

BUT I will say that there are certain instances when where you went to school matters. I have cousins who attend boarding school from 1st grade to 12th. They received full academic scholarships (one to GWU and the other to Georgetown). I see certain opportunities and business connections that they have because of their schooling.

I think to sum up what I'm saying is CC will not hinder your academic success BUT choosing certain colleges and affiliations may make a difference in some areas.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
I personally do not equate online courses to true in person academic teaching. I believe if an employer finds that someone's degree was based online, then they will have a disadvantage

Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 PM

358 posts, read 916,526 times
The problem with many two-year schools is that the classes simply are not advanced enough for many students. My sixteen-year-old is home educated but is studying the equivalent of a Calculus III class, which is the most advanced our local college offers. Thus, the college simply doesn't have the level of classes my children require.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Bottom line...

Where you graduated FROM is more important than where you STARTED. As long as all your classes are accepted by the 4 year college, why shouldn't you?

All you need to make sure of is that the Community College is accredited. And the courses you are taking are accepted by the college you plan to transfer to at the end of your two years.

Why incur more debt than necessary? Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 08:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
I personally do not equate online courses to true in person academic teaching. I believe if an employer finds that someone's degree was based online, then they will have a disadvantage
You've never heard of Six Sigma then? And that training is always done online. Liz

Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
A lot depends on what the degree will be in and what type of employment one will be pursuing.

If you are getting a B.A. in History and want to teach, it probably won't make any difference if you started out at a CC.

It is a different story if you want to practice law or medicine.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:39 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
The problem with many two-year schools is that the classes simply are not advanced enough for many students. My sixteen-year-old is home educated but is studying the equivalent of a Calculus III class, which is the most advanced our local college offers. Thus, the college simply doesn't have the level of classes my children require.
So your 16 year-old is taking calculus at the community college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities