Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 09:42 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If I were Bama, I'd go with Coach Prime.

I know the people who have never played football in their life will say "But he sucks, he went 4-8 lololololol." But it's abundantly clear they won those 4 games as opposed to the 1 game they won the year before in large part due to the talent he brought in. He simply didn't have enough talent in all the positions that mattered to make the Buffs more competitive.

At Alabama, Prime would be walking into a 5-star roster already, and would easily be able to keep up with Saban's success on the recruiting trail. If he can get 5-star players to come to Jackson State, and then convince those players to follow him to Colorado, why wouldn't he be able to leverage the Alabama brand to steal recruits away from Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Marcus Freeman, etc? Add to this the fact that he would be able to hire the best assistant coordinators and analysts money can buy.

But the biggest asset Prime has is moxie. To come behind Saban and his 6 titles, his successor will need a whole lot of it. To be a star defensive back in the NFL, and to be willing to be left alone on an island against some of the greatest receivers of all time and risk public humiliation, requires an entirely different level of moxie. If there's anyone capable of holding up to the pressure of crazy expectations, it's Prime.

Well.. I will say this.. He fits the mold of Saban.. But even more. Saban at least never marketed himself like Deion does. Both of them I'd say it's more about what you can do for the team no matter what..

All coaches are like that to an extent, but.. Prime.. It's dialed up to 12. Saban.. Maybe an 8.

I don't think Saban or Prime give a crap about grades or about their players graduating. Which.. let's be honest.. SHOULD be the priority.

Not necessarily knocking them specifically, because most coaches don't.. But.. They should.

But Prime.. Sooner or later, people are going to see that. Players will see it. some wont' care.. But.. Your 4 star guys.. They're the ones who will matter, most likely. They might have a poor start or adjustment to college.. Most coaches will work with that. Prime? I think he'll sell you down the river, bring someone from the portal in and kick you to the curb.. At least, that's how I view his coaching.

Is that a fit at Alabama? I dunno.. Colorado seems to be OK with it. I'll also say.. I think Prime does have something in common with Dabo.. Neither is a great coach themselves. They are great recruiters, great leaders and know to put great people below them that handle the details. Which.. All taken together. Translates into being a pretty great HC.

Think about it. Would you hire Dabo as your OC? Prime as either OC or DC? Even Saban, to a point. I can't really speak to him because he rarely was a coordinator at the college level and when he was.. It was a bit before 'my time'. techically.. He's under the Bill Belichick coaching tree in the NFL and Belichick, at least early on was a defensive mastermind. Saban had some kick ass defenses at Cleveland when he was DC there in the early 90s.

Of course.. Alabama doesn't seem to have a problem spending the money to have excellent coordinators. Clemson, much the same. Alabama has had the advantage that some really great people would come in there as 'consultants' just to get the Saban rub.. That will be gone now.

Anyway.. Long way of saying.. While I respect what Prime has done. I do not agree with how he's gone about it or how he's treated players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 09:45 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,689,857 times
Students rolled the trees last night in Auburn.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:00 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If I were Bama, I'd go with Coach Prime.

I know the people who have never played football in their life will say "But he sucks, he went 4-8 lololololol." But it's abundantly clear they won those 4 games as opposed to the 1 game they won the year before in large part due to the talent he brought in. He simply didn't have enough talent in all the positions that mattered to make the Buffs more competitive.

At Alabama, Prime would be walking into a 5-star roster already, and would easily be able to keep up with Saban's success on the recruiting trail. If he can get 5-star players to come to Jackson State, and then convince those players to follow him to Colorado, why wouldn't he be able to leverage the Alabama brand to steal recruits away from Lincoln Riley, Dabo Swinney, Marcus Freeman, etc? Add to this the fact that he would be able to hire the best assistant coordinators and analysts money can buy.

But the biggest asset Prime has is moxie. To come behind Saban and his 6 titles, his successor will need a whole lot of it. To be a star defensive back in the NFL, and to be willing to be left alone on an island against some of the greatest receivers of all time and risk public humiliation, requires an entirely different level of moxie. If there's anyone capable of holding up to the pressure of crazy expectations, it's Prime.
No way Bama picks Sanders. They'd likely lose tons of donor money. Keep in mind UA is in Alabama.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:12 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I guess they feel like they won something

Old 01-11-2024, 10:13 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

That only raises Saban's and Alabama's status. Just like all the Georgia fans clamoring about it; now their next championship will mean less because they won't have had to beat the best.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:19 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think Prime does have something in common with Dabo.. Neither is a great coach themselves. They are great recruiters, great leaders and know to put great people below them that handle the details. Which.. All taken together. Translates into being a pretty great HC.

Think about it. Would you hire Dabo as your OC? Prime as either OC or DC?
I wouldn't put them in the same category. At all. Deion Sanders played 14 seasons in the NFL and is regarded as the best ever at his position. Dabo was a walk on at Alabama who barely saw the field and ended up working in real estate at one point. Deion's knowledge of the Xs and Os far exceeds Dabo's and it's a bit disrespectful to suggest otherwise.

I think many people around here vastly underestimate the amount of study required to be good at a position in the defensive secondary. Their technical understanding of leverage, gapping, route trees, coverages, etc. is going to be far higher than the average defensive cooordinator's at the college level, even among large programs. There's nothing Bill Belichik or Nick Saban knows that Ray Lewis and Ed Reed don't know. It's just that most of the great players don't have to go into coaching because they've already made a ton of money and can continue making money other ways. This is why we're unlikely to ever see Peyton or Brady wearing a headset on Sundays (unless it's in a booth).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbch9ycvOJE

Old 01-11-2024, 10:22 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
I'm going to feel bad for Colorado when Sanders leaves. Most of the players are there for him personally, and dozens will follow him. There'll be nothing left, far worse than pre-Sanders even.

He's has some great recruiting successes, but does he have broad enough appeal for Alabama? Flashy types in skill positions often like him. But it seems like he tosses players quickly rather than seeing what they can grow into in a year or two. He throws them under the bus in press conferences. He might not have the same relationship with the trench guys. And we don't know what he wants to do when his kids aren't on the team.

It seems like a sketchy package for a team like Alabama that will expect to keep the train going.

As for great players becoming coaches, it's often unsuccessful. Number one is they often can't understand why regular players can't do the amazing physical things they once did. And even if they know one position better than any non-playing coach, they don't know the other positions.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm going to feel bad for Colorado when Sanders leaves. Most of the players are there for him personally, and dozens will follow him. There'll be nothing left, far worse than pre-Sanders even.

He's has some great recruiting successes, but does he have broad enough appeal? Flashy types in skill positions often like him. But it seems like he tosses players quickly rather than seeing what they can grow into in a year or two. He throws them under the bus in press conferences. He might not have the same relationship with the trench guys. And we don't know what he wants to do when his kids aren't on the team.

It seems like a sketchy package for a team like Alabama that will expect to keep the train going.
You can just say "Black." No need to code your language.

Players will go wherever they think they have the best shot of making the League. Oh yeah, and wherever they can get the best NIL deals.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:45 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
You think all black people are flashy? The real world isn't like that. I meant what I wrote, that's it.

Sanders hasn't recruited in the trenches anywhere near as well. Even he's said that.

Old 01-11-2024, 10:46 AM

One more point on the racial dynamics at the OL position.

At one point in time, NFL offensive linemen were around 85% White. Maybe even higher. In the NFL today, it's about a 50-50 split.

But what's really interesting is when you look at the top HS OL recruits today.

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Fo...onGroup=O-LINE

9 of the top 10 are Black. 18 out of the Top 20. 28 out of the Top 50 (with some Pacific Islanders mixed in the Top 50 as well). Last year, 8 out of the top 10 were Black. 16 out of the Top 20. And 29 out of the Top 50.

Given the massive changes in the demographics of recruiting at this position, why would Deion Sanders struggle more than any other coach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football