Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:13 AM

3,742 posts, read 2,576,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
McCaffrey plays for Stanford and where do they stand in the rankings? Henry plays for the number 2 team in the nation, and he is the reason his team is number 2. Henry has played ranked opponents repeatedly..
GB, hi.. this ^, is probably the weakest (& most unfair) argument I've heard so far, against McCaffrey.

Alabama is ranked #2, Stanford is currently #5 (AP poll). Three slot ranking-separation is hardly a dis-qualifier for a Heisman contender (?) And neither kid chooses his competition. But since a component of your case for Henry, is level of competition, these are some of the heavyweights Henry ran against.. Charleston Southern, Middle Tennessee, Louisiana-Monroe, and Tennessee. And even with this line-up, Henry still averaged a 100 (total) yards per game less than McCaffrey..

Incidentally, where is my man, & our thread founder Scatman.. I hope he weighs in before Saturday's selection..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 05:59 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,318,585 times
No, they don't pick their competition, but it does make a difference. Also, Stanford had some cupcakes in their schedule too. Also, it is hard for me to root for a guy from a private school as opposed to a guy from a public university who has had to work hard for every break he ever received.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:53 AM

455 posts, read 653,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Nope. Clemson played 3 ranked teams with Bama playing 7.
Sorry, but you're padding Bama's victory count the same way you guys pad your count of national championships... I could run the same scam by counting teams that were ranked when we played them.

Here's reality: Alabama played 4 teams that are in the CFP post-championship rankings. The highest ranked opponent was Mississippi at #12 and we all know what happened there. The Tide had 3 victories over ranked teams, all ranked at 19 or lower. Clemson also has 3 victories over ranked teams, all of which are in the top 10, an accomplishment no other team can claim this year. Clemson is also undefeated. We do have a an excellent team, but that record doesn't happen without Watson at QB.

Watson, Henry, and McCaffrey are elite college football players who are essential components to their teams' success. I expect Henry to win because of two reasons:
[LIST][*]He plays for Alabama[*]He's a junior, Watson and McCaffrey are sophomores[/LIST]

Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 PM

9,776 posts, read 7,497,653 times
I'd pick Watson first, McCaffrey 2nd, Henry 3rd

McCaffrey has been tearing it up lately, but nobody notices because he plays at 10 PM, and between Henry & Watson 2 things:
1) Watson's team is undefeated, Henry's isn't
2) Check out how many teams Alabama played this year that are in the top 15 right now. That's right, that would be 0, a big donut. Stanford only played 2, while Clemson played 3 that are currently in the top 15....with all 3 in the top 10. So, not only did Watson play better competition as it turned out, he actually beat all those teams to boot!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:19 PM

3,742 posts, read 2,576,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'd pick Watson first..
McCaffrey has been tearing it up lately, but nobody notices because he plays at 10 PM, and Clemson played 3 teams that are currently in the top 15....Stanford only 2. So, not only did Watson play better competition..
7, hi.. None of the three finalists got to choose their competition, so it seems like an unfair handicap to say one or another should be penalized because their schedule was slightly softer. Stanford actually played 3 (not 2) teams that were ultimately in the AP's top 25 (Northwestern, Notre Dame, Oregon). That would be a virtual push, according to your strength of competition argument.. Granted, Stanford dropped some of those games, but McCaffrey's individual numbers remained impressive throughout their season.

I think the late game excuse, parroted throughout the media, is even lamer than saying McCaffrey's competition was too soft. USC has produced Heisman winners for generations.. people can & do see West Coast stars.. My opinion, some fans & writers are willfully overlooking McCaffrey this season.

Just a couple more hours until we see how it shakes out..

Old 12-12-2015, 08:01 PM

Way to go Henry! He is a deserving winner, and his story is inspiring.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:15 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,997 times
Congrats to Derrick Henry & Alabama on the 2015 Heisman win!

Old 12-13-2015, 10:32 AM

233 posts, read 535,522 times
Is Derrick Henry really 21?
He looks 35.
Is that football that beat him to hell, a tough life, or some bad genes?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
Is Derrick Henry really 21?
He looks 35.
Is that football that beat him to hell, a tough life, or some bad genes?
He has had a rough life, but that should be a thing of the past. He will more than likely get a big check in the NFL.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:17 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,801,305 times
Way to go Henry. The right man won the trophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football