Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times

Advertisements

I heard about this stamp only yesterday. The USPS has created and released the first heat-activated postage stamp in honor of the upcoming solar eclipse. The stamp shows a black moon until you touch it. The stamp then changes colors to represent our real moon. They are 49 cent stamps and they only come in a sheet. The entire sheets costs under $8. I'm not sure if it's a limited edition.

I'm not a stamp collector, but this new stamp intrigued me. I've ordered a sheet to save. They might be worth money in time, but even if not, they are a "first".

I wonder why the postal service doesn't advertise its new stamps? How many of us purchase the boring book of self-stick flag stamps the USPS staff mindlessly pushes through the window?

Here's a link to that stamp. Or Google USPS Solar Eclipse Stamp.

https://about.usps.com/news/national...7/pr17_020.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:23 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
What a neat stamp. I have no idea about collectors.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
I collected stamps before they went to the self-adhesive stamps.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I collected stamps before they went to the self-adhesive stamps.

Really, Dirt? That really sounds like an interesting hobby. I might try it.

When we were kids my older brother had a stamp collection. It was a big thrill for me to help him paste them into his stamp album. He had a packet of tiny "pasties" that folded in the middle. Both sides would be moistened. One end stuck to the album page. The other end stuck to the stamp. It took a certain finesse to do it right.

My brother died long ago. I don't know what happened to his stamp albums. They'd probably be worth a small fortune today. It's been 555 years.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
...They'd probably be worth a small fortune today. It's been 555 years.
I have an extensive collection of US mint stamps and mint plate blocks dating back to the early 1900's. I tried to sell the collection, and I was offered 70% of face value. Heck, I'll use them as postage before I take a hit like that.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have an extensive collection of US mint stamps and mint plate blocks dating back to the early 1900's. I tried to sell the collection, and I was offered 70% of face value. Heck, I'll use them as postage before I take a hit like that.
Smart move, Dirt.
I'd take everything into the backyard and burn it rather than sell to a cheapskate.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
My late DH started collecting stamps as a kid in the 1940's. Had a huge collection, all in glassine envelopes, never in albums. When he finally sold it 50 years later it was quite disappointing. Stamps normally sell for about 10% of "Catalog" value.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:32 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Really, Dirt? That really sounds like an interesting hobby. I might try it.

When we were kids my older brother had a stamp collection. It was a big thrill for me to help him paste them into his stamp album. He had a packet of tiny "pasties" that folded in the middle. Both sides would be moistened. One end stuck to the album page. The other end stuck to the stamp. It took a certain finesse to do it right.

My brother died long ago. I don't know what happened to his stamp albums. They'd probably be worth a small fortune today. It's been 555 years.
Undoubtedly so, if they're over 555 years old.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Undoubtedly so, if they're over 555 years old.
Ha ha! Indeed!

It's a dying hobby. As mentioned in another thread, my wife's boss took me to a stamp show to help sell an old stamp collection I found in my basement. Even he admitted that it was a dying hobby. In the stamp show, I was the youngest person there. And I'm 54.

As we walked out of the hall (it was a Rotary club) I noticed many plaques on the walls with multiple "in memoriam" names on them. A lot of dead Rotarians. I said to my wife's boss, "A dying hobby, with a show being held in a dying venue."

--

Old 09-08-2018, 12:33 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Again stamps are a tricky market. The local Rotary Club is the last place I would have taken them.

People have to remember by the 1930's they were producing stamps in the millions. Neat looking but worthless. This mainly applies to American stamps.

Here are two links. Read them...

https://punkphilatelist.com/2015/07/...bum-am-i-rich/

https://www.stamp-collecting-world.c...nightmare.html

The notion that stamp collecting is dead, and there is no value is absurd. What isn't absurd it that most likely after checking some of the posts in this thread, and this forum overall people think they have something that has value because it's 50-80 years old, and in their mind should have value regardless of what it is. The what it is is the important part.

I buy and sell, sometimes keep anything I think I can make a buck on and I see this mindset all the time. People think they have something, and have nothing, or are trying to sell something for some high price. Sometimes they do have something, but don't know what they are doing. Just read this board.

Last edited by Digger 68; 09-08-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques