Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 10:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,656 times

Advertisements

I also collect records (mostly U.S. promo 45’s) got about 3,000 of them (from mid 60’s through the 80’s) priciest ones I have are Beatles promos. Some of the orange London label Stones promos are worth a bit too! Too bad London Records serviced radio mainly with styrene promos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:08 AM

Been working on a 1973 photo gallery of promotion copy 45's. All memorable hits!! Did some research to make sure the sleeves are accurate for the era. I try to be a perfectionist with my collection Here is the link for that gallery

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=367d92af4e

Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 PM

950 posts, read 692,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've been collecting for many moons, a little input here.

It sounds like this collection came from either a juke box distributor or a radio station and the time these 45's were released sounds like the mid 1960's. When you listen to today's oldies radio, there's two things to keep in mind--1. The artists listed regarding the "junk" description are not played on oldies radio and 2. If you look at the Billboard charts during that era of the 60's, you'll find that the rock stations of that era generally DID play them. In fact, Bert Kaemphert's song "Wiedersehn" came in at #1 on the Billboard charts on 11/21/60. Mind you, the teen music scene was going through a lot of things, such as Elvis going into the Army. Plus we lost a lot of rock and roll people through death; Johnny Burnette, Richie Valens, J.P "Big Bopper" Richardson, Johnny Horton (country), Patsy Cline (country)---and then there was Buddy Holly. Of course there are many others.

"Wiedersehn" was played for weeks, Robert Goulet's "My Love Forgive Me" was on the charts for two months. Eddy Arnold actually is country, not EZ listening, but when "Make The World Go Away" was released on 10/65, it charted popular and country charts, it was a huge seller for him. Bobby Goldsboro charted several 45's during the 1960's, actually 20 or so. I am not active in out of state music memorabilia shows for vinyl and cd's as I wish I was, but even to this day used copies for his albums that United Artists released from the 1960's still hold their own in value in the seven to fifteen dollar range (mint condition of course.) My favorite songs by him are "Little Things" and "It's Too Late."

I'm good friends with a seller who owns a shop in the Omaha/Council Bluffs Iowa area. He sells Kaemphert, Baxter, and Coniff from time to time on Amazon. The one that gets good action from the instrumental people is Martin Denny. And you'd be surprised where those people live--how about all over the globe?

As the old saying goes, "One man's trash, etc., etc., etc.
Thanks for defending Kaemphert and Baxter and Coniff. For a while there, I thought I was the only one who liked them.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:47 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
OP back again. First off, I'll glad to see that vinyl is still doing strong, and even with the re-releases, it shouldn't affect the classic, original releases that much, given that a lot of the reissues are $20-$40. Secondly, the impact of fewer and fewer oldies/classic hits stations playing '60s and '70s (let alone the '50s) has also given a boost, since that's when the bulk of 45's were purchased. It also helps if you have a nice set of an individual artist as you'll find it easier to sell as opposed to just a single or two. As it is, I've got nearly 200 artists with at least 20 different 45's, the most of course being Mr. Presley at 94, although when you combine the Beatles with their solo output, it comes out to 109 total.

My collection has slowed down due to space and other interests, but still stands at 21,500 records, including over 2400 picture sleeves. About 15% are from the '50s, 25% from the '60s, another 25% from the '70s, another 25% from the '80s, just over 5% from the '90s, and a small amount from other eras, with my newest being four 45's from 2004.

Although I used things like Google Book's Billboard magazine archive when I compiled most of my collection, I now use Americanradiohistory.com. That site has practically every issue of Billboard from 1940 to 2014, and there are now starting to add the 1920s and '30s for all you 78/jazz/blues/swing collectors. It shows what songs charted where and on a paritcual chart, and is an important method of completing a set if you want say all the #1 R&B hits from 1961. A lot of songs that didn't chart can easily be dated that way if a song was reviewed or had another release on the same label with a song that was reviewed/charted. Of course, there's TONS of cool ads and stories about the world of music there, and there's even some Cash Box, Radio & Records, and even a few British publications to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
45s usually sound goregous.... Ya gotta be careful though not to get one of those newer 45s that came out in the 80s (You can see thru it) those DO NOT sound as good.... I had several and weeded them all out of my collection!
Most '80s and '90s 45s (and LP's) were more cheaply made with thinner vinyl, and combined with the higher, booming production of a lot of music from that decade results in a lot of vinyl skipping even if it's in NM condition! 12" singles though are generally the exception since there were fewer songs that made the pop charts and often were only played in clubs. But a lot of punk/alternative 45s do sell well from that era, and singles released with picture sleeves reached their peak during the Reagan years. If anything, it helped to hasten the shift to tape and later CDs. But my favorite thing to collect from the last two decades of the 20th century now is via recordings off the VCR, whether it be MTV, VH1, Solid Gold, foreign recordings, and more, although vinyl still gives you the radio nostalgia. At least the more expensive modern vinyl is justified by the proper quality.

Finally, here's a pic of my jukebox that I've had since 2009. The top florescent light needs to be replaced as does the "WURLITZER" panel needs to be placed at the top above the "Ten Top Tunes" section, but it still plays fine.
Attached Thumbnails
I have over 15,000 different 45 RPM vinyl records in my collection, and counting!-jukebox.jpg  

Old 09-03-2018, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
OP back again. First off, I'll glad to see that vinyl is still doing strong, and even with the re-releases, it shouldn't affect the classic, original releases that much, given that a lot of the reissues are $20-$40. Secondly, the impact of fewer and fewer oldies/classic hits stations playing '60s and '70s (let alone the '50s) has also given a boost, since that's when the bulk of 45's were purchased. It also helps if you have a nice set of an individual artist as you'll find it easier to sell as opposed to just a single or two. As it is, I've got nearly 200 artists with at least 20 different 45's, the most of course being Mr. Presley at 94, although when you combine the Beatles with their solo output, it comes out to 109 total.

My collection has slowed down due to space and other interests, but still stands at 21,500 records, including over 2400 picture sleeves. About 15% are from the '50s, 25% from the '60s, another 25% from the '70s, another 25% from the '80s, just over 5% from the '90s, and a small amount from other eras, with my newest being four 45's from 2004.

Although I used things like Google Book's Billboard magazine archive when I compiled most of my collection, I now use Americanradiohistory.com. That site has practically every issue of Billboard from 1940 to 2014, and there are now starting to add the 1920s and '30s for all you 78/jazz/blues/swing collectors. It shows what songs charted where and on a paritcual chart, and is an important method of completing a set if you want say all the #1 R&B hits from 1961. A lot of songs that didn't chart can easily be dated that way if a song was reviewed or had another release on the same label with a song that was reviewed/charted. Of course, there's TONS of cool ads and stories about the world of music there, and there's even some Cash Box, Radio & Records, and even a few British publications to look at.

Most '80s and '90s 45s (and LP's) were more cheaply made with thinner vinyl, and combined with the higher, booming production of a lot of music from that decade results in a lot of vinyl skipping even if it's in NM condition! 12" singles though are generally the exception since there were fewer songs that made the pop charts and often were only played in clubs. But a lot of punk/alternative 45s do sell well from that era, and singles released with picture sleeves reached their peak during the Reagan years. If anything, it helped to hasten the shift to tape and later CDs. But my favorite thing to collect from the last two decades of the 20th century now is via recordings off the VCR, whether it be MTV, VH1, Solid Gold, foreign recordings, and more, although vinyl still gives you the radio nostalgia. At least the more expensive modern vinyl is justified by the proper quality.

Finally, here's a pic of my jukebox that I've had since 2009. The top florescent light needs to be replaced as does the "WURLITZER" panel needs to be placed at the top above the "Ten Top Tunes" section, but it still plays fine.
Great write up, Though I have never had issues with 80's era 45's skipping due to high/hot mastering. To obtain the best sounding pressings of 80's era pop/rock hit releases it's best to track down AOR promo only 12" singles or EP samplers that were also promo only. Labels started servicing FM college/Album Oriented Rock Radio with those 12" radio discs what I call "Giant 45's" in the late 70's and continued through the 80's. most contain the single version, LP version or in some cases radio only edit versions. They are cool pieces to seek out.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:19 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Constantly flipping records. Many modern collectors wan't albums. Singles can go for bux, and I have sold a few money ones in lower grade.
I rarely find any worthwhile. And I rarely ever pay more than 50 cents for any record.
Not huge bux but I did find Linda Perhacs Parallelograms in nice shape earlier in the summer for my customary price.
I sell mostly to a LRS. Most of the records I find are worth maybe $5-10, and just aren't worth the Ebay effort. I will sell 50 cent records all day long for $3 or more a pop for cash in hand.....

Old 10-01-2018, 10:41 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
I have a far smaller collection (around 130 LPs and a dozen and a half or so of 7" stuff - both 33 1/3 & 45') but have become an avid fan of collecting music on analog formats (both vinyl and cassettes) in recent years. I've also taken a recent interest in vintage stereo gear to listen to music on (Most of what I have/am into is from the 1970s - early 80s) - they sure don't build them like they used to .

Nothing is super rare in my collection, but I do have a few cool things - A first UK pressing of Queen's "Sheer Heart Attack" comes to mind atm.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:40 PM

How about novelty vinyl? I have a vinyl album Lessons in Ventriloquism by Edgar Bergen. What I'm looking for is the vinyl album, Ripley's Believe It or Not. So does anybody else collect novelty type of vinyl?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:57 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Thanks for defending Kaemphert and Baxter and Coniff. For a while there, I thought I was the only one who liked them.
You practically are. The problem is they don't sell. And most record collectors could care less about them. Now that should not stop anybody from collecting them, or liking those artists. But with me I have to able to cut my losses. Which means no losses.

Go to any large record show and you will either meet some very polite people, or some that will wish you well and move on.

And yeah, without looking I am sure I can find a seller selling these artists and getting goofy money for some of these records on Ebay. As some sellers manage to do with anything on there.

Martin Denny is completely different. I have some of Denny's popular records.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:42 PM

Recently when I was riding the bus, I saw another passenger with headphones actually playing a tape-deck with 8-track cassettes! And here I thought those were obsolete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques