Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 19,015 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I am currently a junior in college at a school in Michigan. I am majoring in Business Mangagement. I am moving to North Carolina this coming summer, 2009. I will be finishing up college down there in Fall 2009. I have done a lot of research on schools and such and I think I have it narrowed down to 2; UNCW and CCU (Coastal Carolina University) in Conway, SC. I have also looked at East Carolina University. I am looking for an upbeat community with a lot of people my age. I want a good school but also an area with lots to do. Any and all help would be great! Also, if you have any suggestions on apartments around there, that'd be great! 1 bed 1 bath!

Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 05:34 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Sounds like you might want to party a bit, too. I'd give the nod to Coastal Carolina, in a tight race. It is essentially in Myrtle Beach.

Have fun and good luck.

lln

Old 10-31-2008, 10:30 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,496 times
This isn't going to help- I have known people who have gone to all 3 schools, and they each loved it.

I am not as fond of Wilmington for a few reasons, so I myself would not choose UNC-Wilmington unless it had a specific academic program that was known to be better- that's just me.

I feel the cost of living is lower in the CCU area, you're essentially right at Myrtle Beach and there is lots to do, and I prefer that area to Wilmington- yet you are not too far to go hang out in Wilmington some if you want to, I'd rather live in the Myrtle Beach area. (If you choose Wilmington you're close enough to go have fun in Myrtle Beach by the same token- but I just don't really like Wilmington, myself. Wilmington is near a lot of beaches too...just don't like the city overall).

I knew a lot of people that went to ECU and liked it, it has a bit of rep as a party school but a lot of doctors come from the med school there....I don't know anything about the area ECU is in.

My pick would be CCU if their academic program meets your needs.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

79 posts, read 313,482 times
Greenville and Wilmington are both fun towns. Personally if I had to pick, I'd go with Wilmington and UNCW. With business management, you really can't go wrong with either place. I don't know anything about CCU so can't comment on that one.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:08 PM

69 posts, read 224,095 times
I would choose either UNCW or ECU. I know that Myrtle Beach is very touristy and commercialized. Conway being a small town outside of Myrtle Beach has a lot of low income residents who seek employment in Myrtle Beach. Also, I've never heard of CCU.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:05 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyEllen View Post
Hey all!

I am currently a junior in college at a school in Michigan. I am majoring in Business Mangagement. I am moving to North Carolina this coming summer, 2009. I will be finishing up college down there in Fall 2009. I have done a lot of research on schools and such and I think I have it narrowed down to 2; UNCW and CCU (Coastal Carolina University) in Conway, SC. I have also looked at East Carolina University. I am looking for an upbeat community with a lot of people my age. I want a good school but also an area with lots to do. Any and all help would be great! Also, if you have any suggestions on apartments around there, that'd be great! 1 bed 1 bath!

Thanks bunches!
Why not wait until you complete your undergraduate studies; to get a degree from UNC-W or any university for that matter, you'll need to take at least 60 credits from the institution. Also, I suggest that you apply to and be accepted at UNC-W before you make any plans. Once you accomplish that, you'll be looking at in-state tuition and if you are fortunate to have financial aid and believe that it automatically transfers with you, it may, but not to the extent you might be thinking.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 19,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Why not wait until you complete your undergraduate studies; to get a degree from UNC-W or any university for that matter, you'll need to take at least 60 credits from the institution. Also, I suggest that you apply to and be accepted at UNC-W before you make any plans. Once you accomplish that, you'll be looking at in-state tuition and if you are fortunate to have financial aid and believe that it automatically transfers with you, it may, but not to the extent you might be thinking.

I appreciate your comment. But I have been planing on this move for the past year and a half. I have already applied to a few schools in NC and am just waiting on them. I have thought tons about out of state tuition and financial aid and such, and I already decided I will pay out of state tuition for the first year. I have done tons of reasearch on the costs and such and I have no than enough money to get me through the next couple years! But thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,341,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyEllen View Post
I appreciate your comment. But I have been planing on this move for the past year and a half. I have already applied to a few schools in NC and am just waiting on them. I have thought tons about out of state tuition and financial aid and such, and I already decided I will pay out of state tuition for the first year. I have done tons of reasearch on the costs and such and I have no than enough money to get me through the next couple years! But thanks!
Out-of-state tuition and fees for the current academic year is $25,418 and the admissions process is competitive. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina