Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 5,509 times

Advertisements

Hi all I've been reading many post on this subject but wanted to start one of my own to get some more personal resonces. Me and my fiancé currently live on long island and the cost of housing is overwhelming. We been looking and talking about a move to north Carolina for years now and now that I have friends living down there (Charlotte) we really wanna move. Some info I am looking for is how hard is it is o find a job along the cost I and my wife to be are bolth managers at a local supermarket chain which is what I would be looking to do down there or construction if I could get into it without experience. We will be moving in about a year and a half after our wedding were planning on me going down first until I find a job so we will still have her income at first. We will have about 30 k in savings to help out as well so what areas are best for a young couple to find a job and settle down close to the beach (~45 mins) we would like to be a day trip from the banks as well this is why willminton might not be the best for us but its not an end all if it's 4 hours away
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,393,099 times
You should read through the many existing threads on this board asking some variation of this same question. The cities you probably want to focus on are Greenville, New Bern, Jacksonville and Wilmington.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Yeah I have read many my concern is work in the food industry manly as I would be looking for a manager type position and/or job avalibility in general

Old 06-04-2015, 11:08 AM

One of the more dominant grocery store chains in NC is Food Lion. Their website (foodlion.com) currently lists the following management jobs:

Grocery Sales Manager in Jacksonville
Meat Manager in Jacksonville
Evening Manager in Jacksonville
HPCD Grocery Sales Manager in Jacksonville
HPCD Deli Bakery manager in Jacksonville
HPCD Assistant Store Manager in Jacksonville
Meat Manager in New Bern
Assistant Store Manager in New Bern
Deli Bakery Sales Manager in Greenville
Customer Service Manager in Greenville
HPCD Market Sales Manager in Greenville
HPCD Deli Bakery Sales Manager in Greenville
HPCD Produce Sales Manager in Greenville
Evening Manager in Greenville
Store Manager in Greenville
FT Center Store Manager in Greenville

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 AM

Wow that's awesome is it a new store and funny thing is that my store just merged with food lion or our corporate parents did

Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftsorc View Post
we would like to be a day trip from the banks as well this is why willminton might not be the best for us but its not an end all if it's 4 hours away
It is a good suggestion to submit your resume to a chain store like Food Lion. However, You might also try Lowes Food and Harris Teeter. Greenville, Jacksonville, Morehead City and New Bern are good options if you want to be close to the Outer Banks.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM

Anyone ever work for any of these chains I know they don't have unions like up here I am wondering how it is working for them and if the hire full time or only part time

Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Try glassdoor.com

Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM

13,378 posts, read 27,101,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftsorc View Post
Anyone ever work for any of these chains I know they don't have unions like up here I am wondering how it is working for them and if the hire full time or only part time
A neighbor works for Food Lion. They are maximizing the number of part-time employees in order to avoid health care costs. The people who work for Food Lion full time have been there a long time. I assume they are grateful to have any job with benefits.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Yeah that's what they been doing since Obama care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina