Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Suburban Smackdown! Which suburb is the better of the two?
Parma, Ohio 8 50.00%
Westland, Michigan 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 12:04 PM

613 posts, read 329,095 times

Advertisements

In Suburban Smackdown!, I compare the suburbs. Comparing cities is boring and many large cities have been compared before so, why don't we spice things up here and compare the suburbs and satellite cities!

Parma, Ohio (suburb of Cleveland) vs Westland, MI (suburb of Detroit)

Which suburb is better in these categories:

Amenities
Architecture
Cost of living
Crime
Culture
Diversity
Downtown (if it exists)
Food
Friendliness
Future outlook of the suburb
Good place to live/visit
Growth
Nightlife
Outdoor activity
Political views
Population density
Public transportation, otherwise access to the main city
Quality of life
Schools
Skyline (if it exists)
Shopping
Things to do
Weather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 04:11 PM

995 posts, read 784,133 times
This wasn't a thread I expected to see on here. I'm not sure if I ever have been to Westland, but for the most part, both the Cleveland and Detroit post-war boom, blue collar suburbs (40s-70s) are very similar overall. Parma (and Parma Heights, Brook Park, Middleburg Heights) reminds me a lot of the Macomb suburbs like Warren or Eastpointe. If Westland is similar to them, then it and Parma are more alike than different.

I won't go line by line, but I actually think the future is probably brighter than most would think for both Parma (and vicinity) and the Macomb burbs like Warren/Eastpointe in that while nothing fancy, they are still mostly intact and relatively safe. Where the future looks bright is in terms of being still very affordable in areas that are seeing longstanding families (now empty nesters) either passing away or retiring, which is opening up properties that are in the price range for families looking to buy a modest home. You're already seeing that in the comparable Detroit burbs and same thing will, IMO, happen in areas like Parma.

Just hitting on some of your criteria, for Parma, it's:

Amenities - nothing special but proximity is good being less than 10 miles to downtown

Cost of living - Very good especially in this inflated market

Crime - Some but no areas that I would feel would be dangerous

Culture - Very slavic (though diversifying with blacks, Puerto Ricans and Indians moving in)

Downtown - None, but downtown Cleveland is within 10-15 minutes; though a couple of commercial corridors (such as Ukrainian Village along State Road)

Outdoor activities - Big Creek branch of the Cleveland Metro Parks' system goes through there, though I don't think the Big Creek portion is that great; but the Metro Parks (and Cuyahoga Valley National Park) as a whole is IMO one of the best connected urban park networks in the country

Food - If eastern European is your thing, some great authentic slavic (Polish/Ukrainian) restaurants and grocers. Seeing some Latin/Puerto Rican spots open up there, and some Asian grocers/restaurants as well.

Political views - Former blue-collar union Dem stronghold that has shifted toward Trumpism (though about 50-50 in the 2020 election).

Density - somewhat dense in spots (10,000K range) down to suburban in the southern parts (3-4K range)

Public transportation - Not on the RTA Red rail line, but bus service is solid for suburban standards. I'm most familiar with the 51, which is one of the busiest bus routes and it goes through Parma, though all the major arteries have bus service.

Schools - Decent; not great, not horrible

Skyline - None, unless you count a group of 8-10 story apartments over by Valley Forge HS (though that's Parma Heights) and a couple of standalone apartment buildings and Parma Community Hospital

Shopping - Former Parmatown Mall is there and has been redeveloped back to more of an outdoor shopping area (which it was originally before being enclosed); nothing fancy (Macy's/Dillards is now Wal-Mart/Target)

And for people who think the Clevelanders are sensitive, there is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVmmawmFXY

For the most part, people in Cleveland can make jokes about themselves. Granted, I'm not from Parma, but yes this is the perception Parma has carried, but IMO the reality of the city is better than the stereotypes. Maybe 20 years ago (this parody is now close to being that old), it may have been closer than what it is now, but I personally think the Parma of today (partially because of the growing diversity ... schools are now anywhere between 25 to 40 percent non-white) is better than the 99 percent, blue-collar ethnic white past.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM

490 posts, read 865,535 times
Back in the day, there was a skit done by a local Cleveland tv personality who went by the name Ghoulardi. The skit was called Parma Place, and he had some fun with Parma by referencing it as a land of white socks, polka music, pink flamingos and lawn globes. Parma seems like a typical mid-century inner-ring suburb. It's nothing fancy, but there are a lot of affordable cape cod houses, decent enough schools, and some good Eastern European food. Plus, it's an easy drive into downtown Cleveland. I've always found it to be quiet and unassuming when passing through.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:27 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,232,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Back in the day, there was a skit done by a local Cleveland tv personality who went by the name Ghoulardi. The skit was called Parma Place, and he had some fun with Parma by referencing it as a land of white socks, polka music, pink flamingos and lawn globes. Parma seems like a typical mid-century inner-ring suburb. It's nothing fancy, but there are a lot of affordable cape cod houses, decent enough schools, and some good Eastern European food. Plus, it's an easy drive into downtown Cleveland. I've always found it to be quiet and unassuming when passing through.
I remember the Ghoul ( Ghoulardi’s replacement ) here would reference Parma as well, but I didn’t know what that meant as I was a young kid.

Old 04-20-2022, 07:37 PM

2,550 posts, read 2,876,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
This wasn't a thread I expected to see on here. I'm not sure if I ever have been to Westland, but for the most part, both the Cleveland and Detroit post-war boom, blue collar suburbs (40s-70s) are very similar overall. Parma (and Parma Heights, Brook Park, Middleburg Heights) reminds me a lot of the Macomb suburbs like Warren or Eastpointe. If Westland is similar to them, then it and Parma are more alike than different.

I won't go line by line, but I actually think the future is probably brighter than most would think for both Parma (and vicinity) and the Macomb burbs like Warren/Eastpointe in that while nothing fancy, they are still mostly intact and relatively safe. Where the future looks bright is in terms of being still very affordable in areas that are seeing longstanding families (now empty nesters) either passing away or retiring, which is opening up properties that are in the price range for families looking to buy a modest home. You're already seeing that in the comparable Detroit burbs and same thing will, IMO, happen in areas like Parma.

Just hitting on some of your criteria, for Parma, it's:

Amenities - nothing special but proximity is good being less than 10 miles to downtown

Cost of living - Very good especially in this inflated market

Crime - Some but no areas that I would feel would be dangerous

Culture - Very slavic (though diversifying with blacks, Puerto Ricans and Indians moving in)

Downtown - None, but downtown Cleveland is within 10-15 minutes; though a couple of commercial corridors (such as Ukrainian Village along State Road)

Outdoor activities - Big Creek branch of the Cleveland Metro Parks' system goes through there, though I don't think the Big Creek portion is that great; but the Metro Parks (and Cuyahoga Valley National Park) as a whole is IMO one of the best connected urban park networks in the country

Food - If eastern European is your thing, some great authentic slavic (Polish/Ukrainian) restaurants and grocers. Seeing some Latin/Puerto Rican spots open up there, and some Asian grocers/restaurants as well.

Political views - Former blue-collar union Dem stronghold that has shifted toward Trumpism (though about 50-50 in the 2020 election).

Density - somewhat dense in spots (10,000K range) down to suburban in the southern parts (3-4K range)

Public transportation - Not on the RTA Red rail line, but bus service is solid for suburban standards. I'm most familiar with the 51, which is one of the busiest bus routes and it goes through Parma, though all the major arteries have bus service.

Schools - Decent; not great, not horrible

Skyline - None, unless you count a group of 8-10 story apartments over by Valley Forge HS (though that's Parma Heights) and a couple of standalone apartment buildings and Parma Community Hospital

Shopping - Former Parmatown Mall is there and has been redeveloped back to more of an outdoor shopping area (which it was originally before being enclosed); nothing fancy (Macy's/Dillards is now Wal-Mart/Target)

And for people who think the Clevelanders are sensitive, there is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVmmawmFXY

For the most part, people in Cleveland can make jokes about themselves. Granted, I'm not from Parma, but yes this is the perception Parma has carried, but IMO the reality of the city is better than the stereotypes. Maybe 20 years ago (this parody is now close to being that old), it may have been closer than what it is now, but I personally think the Parma of today (partially because of the growing diversity ... schools are now anywhere between 25 to 40 percent non-white) is better than the 99 percent, blue-collar ethnic white past.
South Warren/Eastpointe is more like Garfield Heights/Maple Heights than it is Parma.

Westland's actually a pretty good comparison for Parma.

Parma has much stronger European ethnic ties while Westland is more "rednecky" on the whole and has a more established black presence.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:09 AM

995 posts, read 784,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
South Warren/Eastpointe is more like Garfield Heights/Maple Heights than it is Parma.

Westland's actually a pretty good comparison for Parma.

Parma has much stronger European ethnic ties while Westland is more "rednecky" on the whole and has a more established black presence.
Yeah, I'd agree that Warren/Eastpointe are more now like Garfield Heights (especially south of 480), Maple and Bedford/Bedford Heights.

It's really tough to draw an exact apples to apples comparison, but overall, I think that the two cities' inner burbs are pretty similar. I guess Cleveland doesn't have a Romulus (innerish burb that has longstanding black population, that still has some rural dirt roads in places). I guess maybe Bellaire-Puritas could be somewhat comparable (but won't find dirt roads anywhere in Cuyahoga). But, Bellaire-Puritas is probably more similar to down river areas like River Rouge or Ecorse in demographics and build, anyway.

Romulus is really the area that Cleveland has no comp to. ... Maybe Twinsburg Heights (in Summit County so Akron MSA) would be the closest, but that whole Twinsburg/Twinsburg Heights/Twinsburg Twp. area is now becoming upper middle class suburban subdivison builds.

Well, that and Middle Eastern areas, but nobody has a comp to Detroit there. Cleveland is up there in the 2-5 range in terms of Middle East percentage, but the most Middle Eastern areas here are in that 5-10 percent range. There is nothing comparable in the US to Detroit in that regard, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City