Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times

Advertisements

Most people posting seem to miss what the op asked. It has nothing to do with climate. Culture is the focus.

I think the top 4 states in population mirror what the answer to this question is, but not in rank.

1. California easily
2. New York, based on NYC alone, but the rest of the state is lacking.
3. Florida and Texas are neck and neck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
That's a load of crap. The Southern accent dominates most of the state west of U.S. 83. Geography? You have no argument there. Climatologically the vast majority of the state except the Western panhandle is hot and humid. The Western panhandle is the only part of Texas that isn't Southern.
You are seriously going to argue that places like Midland and Amarillo and Lubbock are southern? Have you been to Midland or Odessa? Or Amarillo for that matter? Midland is desert, and Lubbock and Amarillo are semi-arid steppe. Your lack of knowledge about basic geography is laughable. The south is humid forested climates and swamps, which really stop west of US 75/I-45, and from there to 83 is a transition zone, but it IS the southwest west of 83!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:21 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,077 times
-California
-Arizona
-Texas
-Florida
-Virginia
-Colorado

Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
The Panhandle is Southern Baptist and speaks with a Southern accent. That's true for an enormous chunk of Texas. Those are Southern demographics. And among the white population in Texas the vast majority identifies as American or English. Texas is a Southern state.
The accent's of people that I have spoke with from the Panhandle of Texas and Western Kansas, Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Eastern New Mexico is pretty similar. Similar traits, similar cultures, even similar faiths. To me, Pampa has more in common with Dodge City than it does with Tyler and especially Vicksburg. They do not call this area the South Plains for a reason. Also, I never said Texas isn't a Southern state. But for the purposes of this thread, Texas fits.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:19 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
To be honest, Colorado would not be on my top list of hybrid states. And certainly not the most hybrid state easily LOL.

All states are hybrid to some extent I guess.
Colorado for instance:
--- is a Western State
--- is a "Mountain" State
--- has a large area which is part of the Great Plains (the High Plains)
--- has large areas of desert or semi-arid lands

Compare that to the state of New York:
--- is a Northeastern State
--- is a Mid-Atlantic State
--- is a Appalachian State
--- is in the Great Lakes Region
--- is a "Rustbelt State"
--- part of the Northern Forest (Open Space Conservation )
--- part of the Bos-Wash corridor
--- part of the Atlantic Coastal Plain with ocean beaches, marshes, bays and barrier islands
--- part of the Canadian Shield and St Lawrence River Valley with Canada
--- stretches between Canada and the Atlantic Ocean
--- stretches between the Midwest (almost) and New England

Now that is New York. Try to imagine California!
The question was culture, not topography of the land, and if you think New York or California has a more varied culture than Colorado than maybe you should actually visit the state.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:23 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are seriously going to argue that places like Midland and Amarillo and Lubbock are southern? Have you been to Midland or Odessa? Or Amarillo for that matter? Midland is desert, and Lubbock and Amarillo are semi-arid steppe. Your lack of knowledge about basic geography is laughable. The south is humid forested climates and swamps, which really stop west of US 75/I-45, and from there to 83 is a transition zone, but it IS the southwest west of 83!
Midland is not quite desert but it's not far from it either. Pretty arid. It's definitely not as humid as the majority of Texas and you can see it on this map.

Midland, Odessa, Lubbock, and Amarillo is in the same humidity percentile as Denver, Salt Lake City, and even Reno. Culturally, it's still Southern lite but it's an abrupt transition as it is so much closer to West Texas and the rest of the Southwest than it is to East Texas. However since it's halfway between Austin and El Paso, it's easy to understand the Southern-lite thing. Some people I have talked with from Midland had a twangy Texas accent and some had no accent at all so it's not easy to place the Permian Basin.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
I feel Virginia would be a good answer that might get overlooked. The Tidewater region, NOVA/metropolitan D.C, the ridge/valley region in the west and then the Richmond area. Besides NOVA I don't know if there is considerable cultural distinctions between the different geographic regions of the state but would assume there has to be some.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:51 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
The question was culture, not topography of the land, and if you think New York or California has a more varied culture than Colorado than maybe you should actually visit the state.
Maybe you should visit NY.

This state is a cluster **** of cultures.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Midland is not quite desert but it's not far from it either. Pretty arid. It's definitely not as humid as the majority of Texas and you can see it on this map.

Midland, Odessa, Lubbock, and Amarillo is in the same humidity percentile as Denver, Salt Lake City, and even Reno. Culturally, it's still Southern lite but it's an abrupt transition as it is so much closer to West Texas and the rest of the Southwest than it is to East Texas. However since it's halfway between Austin and El Paso, it's easy to understand the Southern-lite thing. Some people I have talked with from Midland had a twangy Texas accent and some had no accent at all so it's not easy to place the Permian Basin.
Midland/Odessa certainly looks like desert, even if Koppen calls it semi-arid, looks more like NM than Lubbock

Old 07-22-2016, 09:02 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yes I'm going to argue they are Southetn because they speak with Southern accents and are culturally Southern. Those are the two key areas when classifying a region, not climate or anything like that. Your argument is weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City