Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best nightlife district/neighborhood on the West Coast
Capitol Hill (Seattle) 43 26.38%
Ballard (Seattle) 13 7.98%
Pearl District/Old Town (Portland) 5 3.07%
Inner Southeast (Portland) 2 1.23%
Mission District (San Francisco) 29 17.79%
North Beach (San Francisco) 15 9.20%
West Hollywood/Hollywood (Los Angeles) 82 50.31%
Downtown LA (Los Angeles) 15 9.20%
Gaslamp District (San Diego) 28 17.18%
North Park (San Diego) 5 3.07%
Other (Please list) 9 5.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If Vancouver was put in the mix it would easily win IMO.
I honestly find Vancouver to be one of the weakest west coast cities in terms of nightlife, only ahead of Portland.
While Granville Street is flashy and large, the actual bars on the street do not live up to the hype. Though a few of the clubs are pretty nice.

Gastown district in Vancouver is a unique and very nice area, yet each time I've been there, it has not been as lively or active as I would have expected.

I also dislike the fact that there are not several neighborhoods in Vancouver that offer solid nightlife. Versus cities like LA, SF, or Seattle which have over 10 neighborhoods with activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 04:57 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,642,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hollywood and West Hollywood can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. For example, there is the Sunset Strip, which is a sort of past-its-prime music district, the Santa Monica Blvd gay district, Guitar Row along Sunset with several dive bars and more music venues, Hollywood Blvd with its sleazy and decidedly "basic" club scene, Franklin Village's hipster row, Melrose Avenue, and Santa Monica Blvd with its semi-industry club scene and indie theater district.

One nice thing about Los Angeles' "spread out" design is that many neighborhoods have their own nightlife center. The negative is that it is expensive to get from one area to another without a car, but Lyft and Uber have sort of revolutionized that. Now it is inexpensive and quick to get between these nightlife zones.

If you want a true pub-crawl, I think San Francisco would have the best neighborhoods.
Lyft and Uber have definitely help solidify DTLA as a going-out destination for residents of other neighborhoods. Most of the Uber and Lyft drivers I've asked about their routines tell me that a lot of their trips involve ferrying people to and from DTLA, and getting people around within DTLA. I guess a central business district being the prime nightlife destination is par for the course in any other city, but it still feels novel in LA. I just hope that DLTA can retain its cool as it continues to grow in popularity and never gets as gross and corny as Hollywood Blvd tends to get on Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:28 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I love the Gaslamp District (I voted for it) but at the same time I can't help but feel the vibe is somewhat manufactured, as it is one of very few areas to congregate in.

Agreed. Gaslamp does rooftop bars REALLY well, though. Outside of Gaslamp, the gay scene in Hillcrest, and maybe some beach town scenes, SD doesn't seem to offer much. I could be mistaken, though.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Gaslamp is San Diego's "upscale" option. It's all right, they do a great mardi gras. I don't know why PB is not an option for San Diego, that district gets as much, if not more, action as the Gaslamp. North Park? Lol.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:42 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
I love the Gaslamp District (I voted for it) but at the same time I can't help but feel the vibe is somewhat manufactured, as it is one of very few areas to congregate in.
Maybe compared to SF it doesn't have as many nightlife areas but compared to Portland and Seattle it's fairly equal.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,523 times
Agreed, also in agreement with Mr. Miami Beach regarding PB.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Gaslamp is San Diego's "upscale" option. It's all right, they do a great mardi gras. I don't know why PB is not an option for San Diego, that district gets as much, if not more, action as the Gaslamp. North Park? Lol.
Gaslamp is definitely busier but I don't think PB is as one-dimensional as the OP makes it sound to completely exclude is as it can easily compete with any of these other one's for vibrancy and crowds.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM

104 posts, read 127,054 times
The Mission is probably my favorite of these choices.

I really like Capitol Hill for nightlife too - a lot of fun places and definitely has that big city edge that I found lacking in San Diego and Portland.

However, from what I understand there has been a lot of tension on Capitol Hill lately because of the changing nature of the nightlife: Cultures clash as gentrification engulfs Capitol Hill | The Seattle Times

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
The Mission is probably my favorite of these choices.

I really like Capitol Hill for nightlife too - a lot of fun places and definitely has that big city edge that I found lacking in San Diego and Portland.

However, from what I understand there has been a lot of tension on Capitol Hill lately because of the changing nature of the nightlife: Cultures clash as gentrification engulfs Capitol Hill | The Seattle Times
Cap Hill's nightlife attracts all types of people instead of an eclectic class of people. I don't view that as a bad thing. By the way, Cap Hill's nightlife is STILL packed with the hipsters and the LGBT community that so many silly journalists are trying to cry about. Journalists are just trying to draw attention to their struggling news organizations...

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM

591 posts, read 820,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Maybe compared to SF it doesn't have as many nightlife areas but compared to Portland and Seattle it's fairly equal.
Seattle has at least a dozen areas with strong nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City