Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which offers more natural beauty and outdoor activities (hiking, parks, skiing, etc.)
Western Washington 40 83.33%
Western Oregon 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 PM

8 posts, read 17,492 times

Advertisements

Which area is more beautiful when it comes to nature and outdoor activities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
I love Western Oregon, but Western Washington has both the Olympics and the North Cascades and the San Juan Islands and Mount Rainer. On the other hand, Western Oregon has arguably a prettier coastline(and more of it) along the actual Pacific. Western Oregon also has the drier inland valleys down around Ashland and the Siskiyou Mountains on the border with California in Southern Oregon--and in comparison of wine growing regions with both the McMinnville/Newberg area in the Willamette and the Umpqua and Applegate Valleys, Western Oregon wins(though Washington east of the Cascades in the Yakima Valley and around Walla Walla is becoming a good region in it's own right).

I love both areas and living in Portland close to the Columbia Gorge, Mount Hood, and Oregon Coast especially around Oswald West and Indian Head is amazing--though in terms of being spectacular Western Washington has an edge in the mountain department. But luckily Portland is right on the border, so you can get to much of Western Washington in 1-4 hour drives...

Old 03-28-2013, 11:52 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
and in comparison of wine growing regions with both the McMinnville/Newberg area in the Willamette and the Umpqua and Applegate Valleys, Western Oregon wins(though Washington east of the Cascades in the Yakima Valley and around Walla Walla is becoming a good region in it's own right).

Oregon's pinot noir wines are superior to those from WA. That's about it however. WA wines are pretty much better in virtually every other category in quality and quantity.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I'm going to say Oregon just to infuriate Washingtonians!

Old 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Interesting....when I think of those two states, beer, not wine, immediately comes to mind.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Oregon's pinot noir wines are superior to those from WA. That's about it however. WA wines are pretty much better in virtually every other category in quality and quantity.
Yes, Oregon specifically excels in and is known for Pinot Noir(and Pinot Gris as well)--at a level of such that it's received recognition far outside the area as one of the top producers of that grape in the world. The International Pinot Festival in McMinnville is an example of this. On the other hand while Washington produces very good hot-weather grapes like Cabs and Syrahs and Cab Francs and so on, it's focused on a wide number of different wine varietals that are more common throughout the world, thus it's competing with California wine growers, Australian wine growers and so on in terms of recognition. If you're talking about quantity yes, Washington wins largely on the basis of large value producers like Columbia Crest and Chateau Ste. Michelle(both states are dwarfed by California in terms of total production). In terms of numbers of vineyards the states are fairly close. I know plenty of small vineyards in Oregon that produce good non-pinot varietals but they're not on the map yet--Southern Oregon has several up-and-coming regions producing warmer weather varietals similar to Washington. In terms of quality it's basically a matter of preference--I like Pinot Noirs because it goes well with much of what I cook.

Though this thread is about the beauty of Western Washington vs. Western Oregon not the wines grown in Eastern Washington. I just said that Western Oregon has more wine areas vs. Western Washington(which has the sort of wine country of Woodinville tasting rooms) without throwing in everywhere east to Walla Walla. But I said that Western Washington wins in terms of scenic beauty overall anyhow...though it's sort of a moot point, since one can live in either state and drive to most attractions in a relatively short distance.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-28-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I give this to Western WA, it's Puget Sound that makes a big difference, along with the stunning beauty of the San Juan Islands. For the open Pacific Shores I prefer the Oregon Coast, but the three National Parks, Olympic being my favorite, Western WA gets a big edge.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yes, Oregon specifically excels in and is known for Pinot Noir(and Pinot Gris as well)--at a level of such that it's received recognition far outside the area as one of the top producers of that grape in the world. The International Pinot Festival in McMinnville is an example of this. On the other hand while Washington produces very good hot-weather grapes like Cabs and Syrahs and Cab Francs and so on, it's focused on a wide number of different wine varietals that are more common throughout the world, thus it's competing with California wine growers, Australian wine growers and so on in terms of recognition. If you're talking about quantity yes, Washington wins largely on the basis of large value producers like Columbia Crest and Chateau Ste. Michelle(both states are dwarfed by California in terms of total production). In terms of numbers of vineyards the states are fairly close. I know plenty of small vineyards in Oregon that produce good non-pinot varietals but they're not on the map yet--Southern Oregon has several up-and-coming regions producing warmer weather varietals similar to Washington. In terms of quality it's basically a matter of preference--I like Pinot Noirs because it goes well with much of what I cook.

Though this thread is about the beauty of Western Washington vs. Western Oregon not the wines grown in Eastern Washington. I just said that Western Oregon has more wine areas vs. Western Washington(which has the sort of wine country of Woodinville tasting rooms) without throwing in everywhere east to Walla Walla. But I said that Western Washington wins in terms of scenic beauty overall anyhow...though it's sort of a moot point, since one can live in either state and drive to most attractions in a relatively short distance.
The pinot noir grape grows in Western Oregon. The vast majority of grapes grown in WA are on the east side of the state. Columbia Crest and CSM are the same company by the way.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Washington by far, mainly because of two stellar mountain ranges (Olympics and North Cascades). Both have tall volcanoes (Mt. Rainier and Mt. Hood plus some others, have really visited either but Mt. Rainier sounds like the more spectacular one). The Puget Sound islands are an added plus for Washington, but Oregon has its scenic coastline which makes it up for it. The Columbia River Gorge is another plus for Oregon. It's shared between both states, but it seems like the best hiking and views (especially waterfalls) are on the Oregon. Crater Lake is a unique attraction that Oregon has. Both have interesting temperate rainforests, but the most extreme ones are in the western Olympic Peninsula.

But since I care more about mountain scenery, I think Washington is much better. There's not really any comparison on that. Oregon is pretty, Washington takes it up to 11.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's shared between both states, but it seems like the best hiking and views (especially waterfalls) are on the Oregon. .

Of course the views are better. You're looking at WA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City