Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have a more updated list of Black murder rates by state:
Missouri Has Highest Black Murder Victim Rate

I'm curious if you have any idea why the black murder rate in Missouri is so high? Obviously this is driven first by inner-city St. Louis and then by inner-city Kansas City, but I wonder what unique factors might exist in these cities compared to other midwestern rust-belt cities to drive the rate so high?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm curious if you have any idea why the black murder rate in Missouri is so high? Obviously this is driven first by inner-city St. Louis and then by inner-city Kansas City, but I wonder what unique factors might exist in these cities compared to other midwestern rust-belt cities to drive the rate so high?
St. Louis and Kansas City are where a bulk of the murders come from. Kansas City had 102 murders in 2010. St. Louis had 144 murders in 2010. In 2010, 244 Blacks were murders in Missouri. Considering Missouri's Black population is around 665,000 residents, this averages out to a high murder rate. St. Louis and Kansas City have high murder rates, St. Louis in particular. Alot of it could be attributed to the high levels of poverty, drugs, broken homes, high unemployment rates. There are major issues with gangs in St. Louis. I think one reason might be geographic distribution in combination with Missouri's Black population not being as high as Illinois or Ohio. St. Louis is geographically small. Gang war is quite imminent because of the small geographic space in St. Louis. And this can be tied to drug dealing. Gangs compete for turf.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-26-2013 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I had no idea that the murder rate for the Virgin Islands was so high... 45 per 100K? Ouch.
Honduras has an even higher murder rate than the Virgin Islands. In 2010, the murder rate was 82 murders per 100,000. El Salvador is quite bad too, with 66 murders per 100,000. Alot of this is tied to drugs and gang activity.

Russia's murder rate has come down, but it is quite high for Europe. Back in the 1990s, the murder rate in Russia reached as high as 30 murders per 100,000. Russia still has issues with violence and crime. Some parts of Russia have murder rates as high as 34 to 50 murders per 100,000.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:06 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I wonder why a good number of southern states: South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee for example, have higher murder rates per capita than some northern states.
Simple - the heat and the humidity drives people crazy...especially those who cannot afford central air conditioning.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Simple - the heat and the humidity drives people crazy...especially those who cannot afford central air conditioning.
The weather could have something to do with it. However, consider Alaska. Today, Alaska a murder rate below the national average. However, in 1982, Alaska had a murder rate of 18.5 murders per 100,000. Alaska has had other years of high murder rates as well. Alaska ranks #1 in the country when it comes to the rape rate.

Alaska Crime Rates 1960 - 2011

Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Rural areas have a lower murder rate for blacks than cities, probably for various cultural and historical issues. For others, except for those who don't live in said violent neighborhoods, it's unclear how big of a rural vs urban difference there is.

The most recent link you posted shows the black murder rate of Alabama in 2010 was much lower than 2009, only 8 per 100k.
A second response.

I created a map regarding the Black murder rates by state. It's attached to this post. Here is a link too: https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1367019894

**Florida isn't included due to lack of data on Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Map of US states by murder rate; 2011-black-murder-rates-map.jpg  

Old 04-26-2013, 06:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Thanks for the map, though due to year to year variability, especially in states with a small black population, it may be more informative to average over several years.

I'd be curious to see a white murder rate map (esp. to see how big the north-south difference is). I did a search but mostly I got racist web sites.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the map, though due to year to year variability, especially in states with a small black population, it may be more informative to average over several years.

I'd be curious to see a white murder rate map (esp. to see how big the north-south difference is). I did a search but mostly I got racist web sites.
You're welcome.

It would be helpful for me to get data over time, such as over a decade. However, that is very difficult data to get, if not impossible. I was able to find 2010 data for the Black murder rate. I would go to a google search and type "Black murder rate by state 2000". I would get data about over all Black murder rates, but not broken down by state. I get VPC data from 2009 and data for 2010, but I can't seem to find anything earlier than that.

I too have noticed that alot of information about White murder rates are often given by racist web sites. As to why, I don't know. I did do a check with the CDC on the White murder rate. The trend has been that the White murder rate was highest in the Southern USA. The lowest murder rate for Whites in the North. This was between 1959-1961. It only listed White and Non-White murder rates.

States with the highest White murder rates in 1960: Alaska, Nevada, New Mexico, Kentucky, Texas, Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee. Half of the top ten states were in the South, 3 were in the Southwest, and then you had Nevada and Alaska, ironically the top 2.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/...r20_006acc.pdf

One thing I would consider is that in those days, treatment for trauma was not as advanced as it is today. If you got shot in those days, chances are, you were more likely to die depending on who you were or where you where.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
This might be one of the few places in the country where the white murder rate is on par with the black average murder rate. Higher than rural black areas of the south:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lextown View Post
Perry County Ky is at 5. Population: 28,716

Greenup County Ky is at 2. population: 36,907

Harlan County Ky is at 2. Population: 29,240

Johnson County Ky is at 2. Population: 23,411

Magoffin County Ky is at 1. Population: 13,331

Laurel County KY is at 1. Population: 59,000

Knott County Ky is at 1. Population: 16,325

Leslie County Ky is at 1. Population: 11,297

Morgan County Ky Is at 1. Population: 13,941

Rowan County Ky is at 1. Population: 23,359

Letcher County Ky is at 1. Population: 24,574

Floyd County Ky is at 1. Population: 39,430

Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex has 1.
These numbers are for the year to date, so annual rates will be really high. Most of the areas are almost entirely white. It's probably also one of the few white areas of the country where deprivation reaches inner-city ghetto levels. Assuming these days are compiled correctly. A 1991 article I found gave an annual murder rate of 25 per 100k for that region, though another source says violent crime has decreased afterwards.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
This might be one of the few places in the country where the white murder rate is on par with the black average murder rate. Higher than rural black areas of the south:

These numbers are for the year to date, so annual rates will be really high. Most of the areas are almost entirely white. It's probably also one of the few white areas of the country where deprivation reaches inner-city ghetto levels. Assuming these days are compiled correctly. A 1991 article I found gave an annual murder rate of 25 per 100k for that region, though another source says violent crime has decreased afterwards.
It is sort of ironic. Inner city murder rates among African-Americans are quite high. Murder rates among Whites in the cities are low, especially in cities like Minneapolis, Seattle, Boston, Portland, and Chicago. However, for many rural Black, the murder rates goes down. With this part of Kentucky, the murder rate goes up. In this case, deprivation and poverty are big parts of this. Culture as well. Violence has occurred in this region before.

Documentary explores 'bloody Breathitt' feuds more deadly than Hatfield-McCoy | Movies | Kentucky.com
KENTUCKY: Bloody Breathitt - TIME

Similar elements taken place in eastern Kentucky have been found in the inner cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City