Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I feel that_________has the best cities.
Virginia 202 50.50%
North Carolina 198 49.50%
Voters: 400. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
NC's coastline is pretty rugged and irregular compared to other East Coast states.
I understand it's rugged, but I don't think thats the reason there aren't any major port cities...

Virginia's coast is just as rugged and has Norfolk, the 2nd largest container port on the east coast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
I understand it's rugged, but I don't think thats the reason there aren't any major port cities...

Virginia's coast is just as rugged and has Norfolk, the 2nd largest container port on the east coast.
The major ports along the Eastern seaboard are at the point where there's a natural harbor. It's an ideal place for a port to be established and a city to crop up. Most of the places along the coastline of NC where this would be ideal are in the Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds region, and the jagged coastline and strings of barrier islands prevent that from really being feasible. That's not the case with Norfolk, Charleston, Savannah, Miami, etc.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The Triangle. Both are growing rapidly, are home to many high-tech companies, and are multinodal. I know they have their differences as well, but I think they are pretty comparable areas.
You can't argue opinions. So if that is your opinion then fine. However, factually, the areas are night & day.Population, average income, level of development, etc.I don't think many would mistake the two areas.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:04 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post
You can't argue opinions. So if that is your opinion then fine. However, factually, the areas are night & day.Population, average income, level of development, etc.I don't think many would mistake the two areas.
I didn't say the two areas were identical; I said they were comparable.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
CNI

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
In defense of Charlotte, a common myth I want to bust is we are just a banking town. We have a huge distribution center here making us have a pretty large major trading area. CMS actually has more employees than Bank of America so banking is not our highest employer. We also have a growing energy sector here, so we are way more than just a banking town. There is not really hype about Charlotte just people proud of the progress.
Understood and agreed. I only made the BofA/2nd largest financial center comment in the context of trying to explain why some Charlotte residents feel they are amongst the very tippy-top of cities in the country. I do not know of any major city whose economy is a one-trick pony. In addition to banking many know Charlotte for its major airline hub and NASCAR. However, Charlotte's biggest calling card/claim to fame is (arguably) banking. Thus the big BofA Plaza tower dominating the skyline & BofA Stadium, right?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:

Wilmington isn't a major city (pop 100,000), but it's certainly a major port...it's #11 on the East Coast, just below Miami - which means that it's fairly substantial. NC State Ports - Port of Wilmington

Port of Wilmington

There is also Morehead City, NC...again, not a large city but a fairly large port at #18 on the East Coast. Neither is obviously as large as Norfolk, but it's not like the NC ports are nonexistent either.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Wilmington isn't a major city (pop 100,000), but it's certainly a major port...it's #11 on the East Coast, just below Miami - which means that it's fairly substantial. NC State Ports - Port of Wilmington

Port of Wilmington

There is also Morehead City, NC...again, not a large city but a fairly large port at #18 on the East Coast. Neither is obviously as large as Norfolk, but it's not like the NC ports are nonexistent either.
Oh thanks for that . I love looking at ports.

I didn't know it was that large.

The Port of Norfolk is about to expand onto an island in Hampton Roads which will make it the largest on the east coast, adding 54,000 jobs.
http://www.craneyisland.info/Images/clip_image003.jpg (broken link)
Welcome to the Craney Island Eastward Expansion Web Site!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Oh thanks for that . I love looking at ports.

I didn't know it was that large.

The Port of Norfolk is about to expand onto an island in Hampton Roads which will make it the largest on the east coast, adding 54,000 jobs.
Norfolk's port is huge...it was in an episode of X-Files recently on Sci-Fi. I couldn't find a photo of Morehead City, but it's a little smaller than Wilmington's. There are some good photos on the site I posted earlier for NC Ports.

Found one...Port of Morehead City
http://www.ncports.com/assets/home/mhc7.jpg (broken link)
http://www.ncports.com/Port_of_Morehead_City.htm

Another Port of Wilmington
http://www.ncports.com/assets/home/pow5.jpg (broken link)
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=x+f...utf-8&fr=b1ie7

Old 10-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Wilmington is MUCH larger than Morehead city! ha. I can't even find any aerial pictures of the port of norfolk, but like you said it's enormous. I can see the big cranes from miles away. It's so aweseme when your driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and see mega cargo ships. Ha I'm a geek!

But yeah I saw Norfolk on the X files more than once!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:10 AM
CNI

OK..
Charlotte metro & NoVA are comparable (a bit of a stretch IMO but...)
Triangle (Raleigh/Durham) metro & Hampton Roads are comparable
Some metro in NC of which I'm not aware & Richmond are comparable

Personally I am OK w/ that.
My take is regional. The more options in NC, DC, MD, etc. the better. So long as one area is not stealing pieces of the pie from another but, instead, growing the pie.
I want day-trip places where I can travel/vacation within a few hours drive.
I want reasonable relocation/job options that will not take me too far from VA.
College options.
So, best of luck to NC cities because when your cities do good the region does good.
Just please keep it all in perspective. Your cities have been hot/growing at a pace most agree is unsustainable. That growth has allowed your cities to catch-up to other cities (some in VA) that have had less accelerated, but none the less steady, growth also.
I'd rather see cities close to me getting better and gaining attractions/jobs than some city requiring a day or more drive or airline flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City