Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times

Advertisements

Not trying to speak for Montrell, but maybe a better choice of words would have been "manufacturing based." And yes, somewhere there has to be manufacturing, but in the 21st Century that place is more and more anywhere except the U.S. Places that depended on manufacturing jobs are going to be hurting for the foreseeable future. Look at the amazing number of abandoned factories in this area. Many sport the same for-sale signs they had when I arrived 9 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan06 View Post
While weather is relative, most people prefer warmer, drier, and sunnier climates
And isn't it funny how those are the people who whine about their air conditioning bills being too high because it's so hot, or the difficulty in maintaining a green lawn or a flower garden because it's too dry.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-21-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: stupid filters ...

Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
Sarah[/i] Perry;14274882]Not trying to speak for Montrell, but maybe a better choice of words would have been "manufacturing based." And yes, somewhere there has to be manufacturing, but in the 21st Century that place is more and more anywhere except the U.S. Places that depended on manufacturing jobs are going to be hurting for the foreseeable future. Look at the amazing number of abandoned factories in this area. Many sport the same for-sale signs they had when I arrived 9 years ago.
I understand your outlook. But what are you contending will provide the same level of middle class jobs, stable family situations, etc? Are you saying our technology superiority will keep us ahead? If so, just keep surfing the net. The rate at which technology is dispersed worldwide is astounding. And global based companies have no particular allegiance, it is just a fact of the best opportunity today.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,241 times
Sadly, I'm not contending anything will replace the old manufacturing based economy. Agree with you about the dispersion of technology. I think we're all going to have to face an international economy where the goodies we've enjoyed in the US are spread around a lot more equally. In fact, I think we're already there.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM

50 posts, read 178,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And isn't it funny how those are the people who whine about their air conditioning bills being too high because it's so hot, or the difficulty in maintaining a green lawn or a flower garden because it's too dry.
Yep, you're absolutely correct. I always think about people that move down to the Atlanta area, then complain about the water restrictions and droughts.

I like the weather in Ohio, including the clouds, rain, and snow( I actually love snow). Ohio's climate keeps the vegetation lush and green, making it even prettier when the sun does come out. One of the first things I noticed upon moving here is how green everything is. So pretty!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan06 View Post
Yep, you're absolutely correct. I always think about people that move down to the Atlanta area, then complain about the water restrictions and droughts.
Yeah; I hope Bill Nuti from NCR, who wouldn't move to Dayton after he got the job and then moved the whole company down to Atlanta, never ever ever sees a green blade of grass in his lawn! *evil grin*

Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
While weather is relative, most people prefer warmer, drier, and sunnier climates;
The thing with Cincinnati's climate is that it's not all that different than the climate of Chicago, or New York, or Boston, or Philly. You know, those areas with tiny populations. It's only widespread use of air-conditioning that makes life in parts of the south and west possible. In Cincy you can live without AC. There are a couple of weeks in August that are dicey, but it's doable.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,717,810 times
There's a reason why Cincinnati never really clinched a "Rust Belt City" status... The city's economy quickly diversified itself.

I'd say the department store industry, consumer based products, and financial market quickly took over.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yeah; I hope Bill Nuti from NCR, who wouldn't move to Dayton after he got the job and then moved the whole company down to Atlanta, never ever ever sees a green blade of grass in his lawn! *evil grin*
And may his yard be taken over by kudzu!!!

But, BOT: When we lived in Boise, ID, I heard the locals yammer on FOREVER about how those Californians were moving in and were the cause of everything negative in the whole darn state... I LOVE Ohio, glad we retired here and wouldn't trade it for SC's humidity for all the world!!!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 05-24-2010 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Dyslexic fingers...

Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,125 times
Since moving to Ohio I have met plenty of people who have moved here and love it here, and love the quality of life.

It seems like that is your perception right now. The problem is, every state out there has a bad reputation. From the central plain states, to out west, down south, and up in the north east. From poverty and hillbillies with no education down south, to sprawling polluted cities out west with no water. It depends on the individual and how they look at a state. Being a Pennsylvanian, we always got a bad rep from the Northeast states. They always would call us Pennsyltucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati