Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:35 PM

204 posts, read 745,118 times

Advertisements

There really is a lot going on to improve the area around Peebles Corner. The people who own Parkside Cafe ( Parkside Cafe )own property across the street, and are opening businesses, as well as being involved in trying to revitalize the area. The building to the west of the Brewhouse at Park & McMillan, which now houses a designer, has a working fountain in the lobby!!!The owners of Parkside Cafe had the following plans posted in the restaurant:
UC Students Design Urban Solutions to Coincide With Coming Changes to I-71/I-75/I-74

Yes, they are just plans. But, there is the desire to revitalize the area. Roxanne Qualls has made proposals to make Taft & McMillan two way streets to encourage development.

I live in the neighborhood, and walk through Peebles Corner quite often. I go to the Kroger (known to some as the "Bro Kro"), frequent Parkside Cafe, the Brewhouse and Taco Casa, as well as other businesses in walking distance and have never had any trouble. People, even the boys "hanging out", tend to say "Hi". I am a middle age white gal, and I don't give off the impression I am carrying money or would be interested in anything they have to sell.

I have seen a lot of suits on McMillan recently, giving tours to numbers of people, seeming to me to be selling them on the attributes of the neighborhood.

I, personally, enjoy living in a diverse community. My neighbors try to watch out for one another. Recent robberies have been discussed by neighbors on the street, and my landlord, whose office is just a couple doors down will call me when something happens that I should be aware of. I love living here, and wouldn't trade it for anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 06:10 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
excellent post, soozycue. my experience living in the area was very similar to yours, except parkside cafe was a frisch's that no one seemed to frequent and taco casa was i think skyline before it moved next door. brewhouse is great. the library also holds various events and classes that are worth attending.

frankly i think the city isn't going to be seriously invested in walnut hills until OTR is chugging along on its own without their capital injection. i think that point will approach in the next three years. but i suspect the city might concentrate on price hill after that, but i could be wrong. fortunately, walnut hills has such a stable, middle-to-upper income population base that despite its gritty appearance, i think not that much is needed to tip the pendulum the other way.

i think simply getting to know your neighbors and watching out for each other and the blocks around your house is a far better plan than chasing million dollar condo projects. i think walnut hills gets that.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Then again, 'The Verona" could qualify as a "million-dollar condo project." I get serious house lust checking out its Website.
Reading the post about "desperate homeowners" and all the wrack and ruin made me laugh. I've seen less projection in a 16-screen cineplex. Houses everywhere are slow to sell these days. Foraker St sketchy? Yes, and...? So is Blair Ave, big time, and they're not the only streets that have farther to go before qualifying as desirable places to be again. I think Myrtle Ave is well situated - literally - and therefore a smart place to make a property investment, though. Urban pioneers such as the OP are well aware of what they're up against until a location starts to truly rebound. 'tain't for the faint of heart.
One of soozycue's comments struck a responsive chord, for I too live in an urban community that's anchored by a raggedy-looking thoroughfare. "Foodie" and "ethnic" restaurants + a co-op grocery + Wifi-connected coffee shops etc share the street with a check-cashing joint + convenience stores + fast-food places + liquor stores and so on. Multiple homeless shelters and "day treatment centers" are located in the neighborhood, meaning there will always be "professional" panhandlers and loiterers haranguing folks on the sidewalks. Some of these people have been on the scene longer than the 22 years I've lived in the area. They and many others drop their begging routine when they see me, and exchange cordial greetings instead. After decades of home renovations and condo conversions - not to mention billion$ in new developments - the community remains far less than completely gentrified and safe but by no means crime-free. There are those who'd love to see all the subsidized housing and homeless shelters vanish along with all the street people. But I'm glad to be someplace with this much accessibility. My block and its vicinity are where longtime neighbors do watch out for each other so that bad things are rare occurrences. Even so, there are surely those who like to barrel through with the doors locked and make assumptions about decay and despair.
Viva Walnut Hills!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:37 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Default Two shot dead in Walnut Hills

I thought this was a sad follow up to this thread. For people who have not lived here for a while (and say things like "Reading the post about "desperate homeowners" and all the wrack and ruin made me laugh. I've seen less projection in a 16-screen cineplex")-- they might want to reevaluate whether they really know what is going on in Walnut Hills.

Despite all the brave posts about gentrifying pioneers, I think most people with money are not going to want to live or invest in many of these neighborhoods. This double homicide occurred about 1000 feet from Peebles corner. Maybe I am wrong and you could write this and burglaries, robberies off as "part of the urban scene". If so, more power to you.

Two shot to death in Walnut Hills | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

Old 09-26-2010, 05:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
I can say for sure it's not for me (not that I'm a person "with money" anyway). I've heard enough stories lately about burglaries in East Walnut Hills to be happy I don't live there. The same concerns apply to North Avondale, where I actually had to veto my husband's desire to buy a house on Norway. On some thread recently Wilson posted about criminals traveling in patterns. His observations, I thought, were perceptive. Both those areas are a perfect example of more upscale neighborhoods which are NOT insulated in some way from the downscale areas abutting them. It's true that in an old city like this you can go a quarter or half mile from a good neighborhood and be in a bad one. But you have to use common sense about where you invest in a home.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 AM

165 posts, read 396,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
I thought this was a sad follow up to this thread. For people who have not lived here for a while (and say things like "Reading the post about "desperate homeowners" and all the wrack and ruin made me laugh. I've seen less projection in a 16-screen cineplex")-- they might want to reevaluate whether they really know what is going on in Walnut Hills.

Despite all the brave posts about gentrifying pioneers, I think most people with money are not going to want to live or invest in many of these neighborhoods. This double homicide occurred about 1000 feet from Peebles corner. Maybe I am wrong and you could write this and burglaries, robberies off as "part of the urban scene". If so, more power to you.

Sounds most like a dope deal gone sour. The two individuals were inside a car, not random victims of crime mugged while they were walking by. The deceased probably knew the people who killed them. This kind of tageted crime can happen almost anywhere but most frequently in neighborhoods where dope dealing is common. Walnut Hills does have more crime than some of the surrounding neighborhoods but there are ways (already enumerated) to fight back. Common sense also goes a long ways towards avoiding being a victim. But to change things, people have to care enough to get involved.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Quote:

First, thank you for calling a double homicide as part of a scene. That is definitely a fair characterization of how people trying to improve urban communities think. /sarcasm

And only someone who has lived "here" for a while but not been in the city in ages would characterize this murder as being anywhere near the nicer parts of the neighborhood (reminds me of a native cincinnatian friend who called walnut hills "the west side" simply because his notion of cincinnati was the far east suburbs). The murder happened way up on the other side of MLK, it really isn't anywhere near peebles corner. It is a mile away and cut off by several very wide roads.

And absolutely everyone who lives in Walnut Hills knows this stuff goes on. A few years back, the nearly 100th and last homicide of the year occurred about two blocks away from me. Granted I was on the very fringe of the "nicer area" but nonetheless, I was never in any amount of danger, not even a little bit. So someone posting that people who made the other positive comments in the thread need to "live here a while" before they "get the real dangers" is smug and insulting, since many of us posting have first-hand knowledge and have lived in walnut hills or nereby and certainly have more experience with the area than most.

To set up shop in the middle of the kinds of blocks where the drug activity occurs takes some courage and one certainly needs to have their wits about them. But when blocks get a reputation as being unfriendly to criminal elements, those elements go elsewhere. But investing and buying a home in any of the many nice sections of walnut hills is simply wanting a nice house with character close to the city. It is not as though you'll spend your evenings battling criminals. And people get this; if they didn't the "nice" sections of Walnut Hills wouldn't be so expensive.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:34 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
It is frustrating that Walnut Hills has not really had the renovation that it deserves. I go way back with Walnut Hills. My best friend in college lived in one of those apartments on the west side of McMillan between Kemper and Park or was it between Park and Victory PArkway? WE had access to the roof and there was many a crazy party up there. There were hillbillie bars on McMillan then and we would spend hours in one of them listening to spontaneous jam sessions among amateur musicians. My first taste of moonshine was in one of those bars.

We tried to buy an 8 family next to where the St. James is now in 1970 or so. Now torn town.

I lived on Cleinview in the early 70's. Great house, but a lot of crime. I was broken into 3 times in two years and moved.

My good friend Jack Glaser did a lot for the Windsor/Gilbert area.

But, here we are 40 years later and there is really no improvement east of McMillan St. And, if anything, the deterioration of the Alms has made matters worse.

What to do?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 PM

204 posts, read 745,118 times
Quote:
This double homicide occurred about 1000 feet from Peebles corner.
See, this misguided, incorrect kind of information is used to instill fear. Rammelsburg St. is off of Blair Ave. (actually Mathers, off of Blair), just southwest of Walnut Hills High School. According to Google Maps, it is a mile from Peebles Corner, so approximately 5280 feet.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
See, this misguided, incorrect kind of information is used to instill fear. Rammelsburg St. is off of Blair Ave. (actually Mathers, off of Blair), just southwest of Walnut Hills High School. According to Google Maps, it is a mile from Peebles Corner, so approximately 5280 feet.
Sometimes I feel several of you are splitting hairs. As if 5000 ft is significiantly different than 1000 ft. And as part of the correction you state it is just southwest of Walnut Hills High School. I would think being close to the high school is far more alarming than if it is Peebles Corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati