Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times

Advertisements

I deliver to the Michigan-based retailer with the "j" in their name, so I can definitely appreciate the efficiency the large chains. But as I read though and enjoy all of your comments, I realize we've lost something along the way. We shop for all of our food at Dorothy Lane Market up here in Dayton's South suburbs. Granted, the big guys are efficient, but I still believe that small markets cater to their customers a lot more. (and that's worth something to us) As for price, I think it's a wash. The big guys are cheaper on some things, the small guys do better on other things (especially when you use their loyalty programs) At the end of the year, I'm not sure we've spent any more money at DLM, especially since we buy a lot of the things that we became accustomed to in Europe...

Anyway, thanks for a great thread; wish we'd gotten to SW Ohio YEARS ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I deliver to the Michigan-based retailer with the "j" in their name, so I can definitely appreciate the efficiency the large chains. But as I read though and enjoy all of your comments, I realize we've lost something along the way. We shop for all of our food at Dorothy Lane Market up here in Dayton's South suburbs.
Meijer is a great operation. What I like about them is that they source a lot of their product from the midwest and really support a lot of the small farmers and food producers within 500 miles of their Grand Rapids warehouse. What I do NOT like about them is that so many of the general managers that I have met are GE and other corporate refugees who lack a passion for the grocery business.

What I like about the DLM, one of the finest groceries in the nation, is that their owners are TRUE MERCHANTS. They are in the front of the house at the busy times interacting with customers. Customers can ask them questions and make requests directly with the principals. And they train, educate and empower the employees. I talked with one of their bakery clerks and she was able answer all my questions.

I think that Cincinnati lacks a lot of small independent groceries that you find in midwestern cities due to the strength of the Kroger's presence in the market. Also, at times, Krogers has been able to see what some of the smaller guys are doing and duplicate it in their stores driving out the competition.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
For what little I deal with Meijer managers, I've found them all at least nice. Some are really a pleasure to deal with. But then, all I do is get them to check the trailer seal and sign paperwork. I'm afraid that all of the large retailers are pretty much the same; cut costs to the bone and give "lip service" to service (although my experience is that most of the folks in the trenches in retail go "above and beyond" the low wages they earn...)

We are truly glad to have DLM and I wholeheartedly agree; they hire, train & motivate good people. And treat them well. It says a lot that we've shopped there almost 10 years now and we see a LOT of the same faces year after year.

For us, the big retailers are more of a place to run in and grab one or a few items, while DLM is where we take the shopping list.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I miss Meijer ... so much ... *sigh*

Old 01-04-2010, 07:36 AM

807 posts, read 3,187,699 times
My dad managed a "Big Bear" grocery in Springfield during the late '40's. I remember a story about finding a tarantula spider in some bananas he was unpacking. I have no idea how many Big Bear stores there were.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM

88 posts, read 251,820 times
In the Mt. Airy area, I recall Thriftway which eventually moved across the street then was bought by Kroger. Someone I know mentioned Liberal and Thorofare which I vaguely remember Thorofare but not Liberal. When did these grocery stores cease to exist (year)?

Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Those of you who remember A&P just show how old you are. .
Not necessarily. A&P attempted to reenter the Cincinnati market in the early 1980s. There was one across from Tri County Mall where the Michael's is now located. A&P didn't last very long, though, and was replaced by the midwest version of Toys R Us, Children's Palace.

No one has mentioned Fazio's. We used live in Montgomery, and my grandmother used to drive all the way out to Milford to shop in that place. The building is still there on 28 across from the big shopping plaza and the meat market. I forget what occupies it now.

Being an eastsider, I was really bummed to lose Bracke's in Mt. Lookout. The place was so old fashioned, they did everything but throw sawdust on the floor. The men working behind the meat counter looked like they belonged in a barbershop quartet. They roasted their own roast beef for the meat counter, and Mr. Bracke personally selected the fresh farm raised chicken that they sold there. Canned goods, fresh vegetables, just a little bit of everthing. You could phone in your order, and they would have it waiting for you ( and I think they even still delivered). Until it closed just a few years ago, it was like stepping into the 1940s.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,879 times
Does anyone remember Drummond and Sloan on Huffman & Smithville Rds in Dayton? It was not a chain, I have memories of my Mom shopping there, buying fresh meat from a butcher.....ahhh those were the days (or were they)?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:29 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post

Being an eastsider, I was really bummed to lose Bracke's in Mt. Lookout. The place was so old fashioned, they did everything but throw sawdust on the floor. The men working behind the meat counter looked like they belonged in a barbershop quartet. They roasted their own roast beef for the meat counter, and Mr. Bracke personally selected the fresh farm raised chicken that they sold there. Canned goods, fresh vegetables, just a little bit of everthing. You could phone in your order, and they would have it waiting for you ( and I think they even still delivered). Until it closed just a few years ago, it was like stepping into the 1940s.
There were three of those places within a mile: Mairose (which was even more retro than Bracke's) Bracke's as you said, and Sunshine. Only Sunshine is left and I would say that is on the edge. I was a Mairose customer for decades and now Sunshine. Like Bracke's, you can just call in your order and they will deliver it to your door. Mrs. makes a pretty good homemade chicken pot pie and their meats are the best. I say, support your local little corner store or they will all be gone.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,980,188 times
The IGA in Dillonvale Shopping Center is something of a throwback to an earlier time, or at least it feels that way to me. And it looks like the store is thriving. Tip to fried chicken fans: grab a few pieces from their deli at early lunchtime when it's at its freshest. No pre-breaded, frozen, mass-produced stuff there. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati