Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:32 AM

14 posts, read 52,333 times

Advertisements

I need some assistance in understanding how taxes work in Cincinnati. I'm going to be working downtown Cincinnati and assume they're going to be taxing me 2.1% on my income. Now lets say I decide to live in Mason, OH. I believe they have a 1% income tax as well. Do I pay 1.1% to Cincinnati and 1% to Mason? Or how does that work? Also, what happens if I decide to live in an area without an income tax such as Deerfield Township or West Chester.

Someone please help me figure this out...the tax pros/cons of living in different suburbs when working downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
It is generally ADDITIVE. There MIGHT be a credit in your home community.

Personally, I would look at UNINCORPORATED areas like Anderson Township where there are no local income taxes.

Most of my friends have moved their IT consultancy services out of the city to avoid the taxes.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Just about all of the Cities taxing income give credit in one way or another for your payroll tax in another taxing authority. Here is Masons' FAQ:

What is the individual income tax rate in Mason?
The tax rate is 1%. In 2006 and prior years, residents employed in another city that had an earnings tax received a maximum credit of up to 50% of the tax due on the portion of their earnings taxed by the city where employed. For tax year 2007, residents employed in another city that has an earnings tax received a maximum credit of up to 65% of the Mason tax due on the portion of their earnings taxed by the city where employed. The maximum credit will be 80% of the tax for 2008 and 90% of the tax for 2009. In tax year 2010 and beyond, the maximum tax credit will be 100%. Even if no tax is due, you will still be required to file a return.

http://imaginemason.org/home.php?ID=113 (broken link)

Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Most of my friends have moved their IT consultancy services out of the city to avoid the taxes.
How many friends do you know that own IT consultancy companies?

Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 52,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is generally ADDITIVE. There MIGHT be a credit in your home community.

Personally, I would look at UNINCORPORATED areas like Anderson Township where there are no local income taxes.

What if I do live in an unincorporated area? Am I still expected to pay the Cincinnati tax since I work down there?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:06 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbe View Post
What if I do live in an unincorporated area? Am I still expected to pay the Cincinnati tax since I work down there?
Answer: Yes. You pay Cincinnati income tax on income you earn in Cincinnati. 2.1% If you live in an area with no tax, end of explanation. If not, most all of the cities and taxing authorities in Ohio give credit for the taxes paid to the taxing authority where a person works. Some bedroom communities with no payroll or industry do not give any credit. This is an exception to the general rule.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
It's typical of most cities and villages in the area to reciprocate up to the value of their own income tax rates. Cincinnati's 2.1 percent always comes out of your paycheck; how much you're in hock to your city/village of residence varies depending upon the reciprocal rate.

Quote:
In tax year 2010 and beyond, the maximum tax credit will be 100%.
Whoa.

I guess Mason has succeeded in its goal of transforming every piece of vacant land into shopping centers and office parks.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
This just came out today:

Townships trying new tax strategy | Cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

With the current financial system our municipalities are in, we will be finding new ways to bring in an extra tax base (residents), or cut spending (can only go so far).

I say we legalize marijuana, tax it and regulate it like alcohol!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM

379 posts, read 848,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I guess Mason has succeeded in its goal of transforming every piece of vacant land into shopping centers and office parks.
Nope, the Western Row Golf Course is still for sell.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 14,619 times
im being forced to pay cinn city taxes for 2005 and2006 is there any way to keep from paying intrest and penalty iwork out of state// i offered to pay my taxes but not the penaltys what are my option s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati