Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,652 times

Advertisements

My husband has been relocated to Cincinnati, Ohio. I, along with our 13 year old son are getting our house ready for sale. My husband has been gathering info from the locals in Cincinnati regarding an area that would be a good fit for our family. We live in Derby, NY. It is quite rural, but close enough to major shopping, restaurants etc. We live in a development which is quite established. Around our development are many wooded areas, 18 mile creek for fishing, beaches within a 5 minute drive, camping grounds, etc. (a 13 year old boy's paradise). We don't want to move, but due to economics, we have to move. Someone suggested Ross to my husband. Does that area sound like a good fit? Also, any knowlege regarding what my job prospects as a legal secretary in the Cincinnati area might be. I have worked for the same firm for 30 years. Another suggestion was West Chester. From what we are learning, we're thinking it may be a bit conjested. Also are the schools in Ross good? We are quite happy with my son's school now. There is a mix of students ranging from those living in mobile homes to those living in mansions on the lake and anywhere in between. We fall in between. Other suburban schools in our area can be quite snooty, with the majority of kids coming from high income homes. We don't care for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:55 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
What part of Cincinnati is your husband's job located. Commute times could be a concern in choosing a location.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
For rural (I am assuming you want about 5 acres and a house), you might be able to find something in Turtlecreek twp. or Talawanda, by Oxford. The Trenton area might also be worth a look, but there will be long commute times for any of these.

Yes, you are correct that West Chester is congested, and probably not along the lines of what you are looking for, especially from my personal experience of being an ex-pat from a rural section of the area there that was later developed. Much of the type of housing you would be looking for there is gone. I know Ross is more rural, but you still got Fernald, and even though it is cleaned up, I'm not sure it's the most attractive region, if you get my drift.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,652 times
My husband's job is located in Sharonville.

I will also be looking for work as a legal secretary. If Cincinnati is anything like Buffalo, the higher paying legal secretarial jobs are located in the City, not the suburbs, so I will likely work in the City.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:26 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
You might like eastern Warren County or northern Clermont County -- they are north and east of Cincinnati, and they've got everything except the beaches, alas (I grew up in Erie, Pa., and I miss Lake Erie almost every day of my life!). Caesar Creek, Stonelick and Cowan lakes are all nearby, as are opportunities for fishing, canoeing, hiking, etc. There are plenty of suburban-like housing developments in outlying areas in towns like Lebanon, Waynesville and Loveland.

I wouldn't hestitate to send my kids (if I had any, LOL) to any of those schools. Of the three, Lebanon may be the most "snooty," but there's a wide range of kids and families living in the district.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Welcome to Ohio, Salyy! I live waaay up near Dayton, so I'll let the experts from the area you're considering advise; they're better informed.. I hope (and really believe) that you'll like it in SW Ohio and that things work out well for you! If you get homesick, a friend of mine has restored Boston's (NY) retired "fog" fire truck from the 1950's...

Old 07-23-2009, 03:08 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,235 times
Okay, I probably ought to give you new advice since the main work locations will be Shornville and the CBD.

You really ought to try the western cincinnati area, between Harrison and North Bend within relatively reasonable proximity to 275, since one of you will be taking 74 into town, and the other will be using 275 to get to Sharonville.

Unfortunately, I am not too fimilar with the beautiful hills and countryside to the west of Cincy besides seeing it from the car window driving by, and stopping at the Bigg's in Harrison once or twice, so hopefully someone can help me out here.

Good Luck!!!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:57 AM

19 posts, read 64,266 times
Saliyy, I am agree with Ohiogirl, West Chester and Mason have great schools , but area is overcrowded and expencive, I live in Lebanon and it is a very nice small town with bunch of antic stores to stroll by, few restorants, kind of laid back. If I need a fancy date - 15 min. and Westchester, Mason have all you need: upscale restorants ,movies, etc. Schools in Lebanon are fine, and housing is very reasonable... so I would look into Lebanon, Turtle Creek, Liberty Township.
Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
I have a friend that lives in Ross, I've been there many times, and I have to say that it would be a good choice. It's a nice little town, close to U.S. 27 (which turns into Colerain Ave down by the Wal-Mart) and its' interchange with I-275, allowing easy access to either Sharonville (east) or I-74 to downtown (west).

As far as schools go, maybe one of the other locals on here could help with that seeing as how I'm not familiar with how schools are in this area. I don't get the "stuck-up" vibe in Ross though, so I assume you'll be safe sending your kids to school there.

My opinion. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 19,333 times
West Chester has awesome schools but if you love the outdoors life I would think twice about West Chester. Its not a very walkable/outdoorsy area. If you want to be close to a park area think about buying a home that backs to a Hamilton County Park. Also check out Loveland or Milford it has the Miami to Miami Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati