Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

This is my first time on here and the first thing I see are people looking for a "black church", what is it with people???????????? Are we not ALL made in God's image? Can we not worship and fellowship together with other races????????? I go to a mega church in Ohio and our church is full of God's rainbow. Maybe if we step out of our comfort zone, we might learn something new from one another. PLEASE brothers and sisters in Christ..learn to look past color, as God does, then maybe we can learn to love one another as Christ does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 12:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,837,262 times
I don't know. I have been here 40 years and that's the first i've heard of it.l

Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I don't know. I have been here 40 years and that's the first i've heard of it.l
Same here. lol

Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM

884 posts, read 2,641,405 times
I agree. I actually prefer non denom churches with a mixed conregation and there are some in the tri state area. However, Sunday remains the most racially divisive day of the week. Most people prefer to worship with people that have similar backgrounds, cultures and belief systems.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:16 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Better yet, disassociate from organized religion of any kind. Name one present-day armed conflict (or any throughout history, for that matter) that didn't carry at least some religious connotation. Find a form of societal repression which isn't justified by how a "sacred text" is selectively interpreted.

"Church" - or "temple," or whatever - is just another way to pit "us" against "them." I don't have issues with "Black churches" because they along with other AA community centers such as barber shops and beauty parlors continue to be places of gathering and empowerment for a specific group of people. My issue with them, along with "places of worship" in general, is that just as they can be catalysts for positive change in the world (for example, the '60s movement for racial equality) they can also be instruments of backward progress ("Proposition 8" and other hysterical rabble-rousing against equal marriage recognition for same-sex couples in present times, pogroms and inquisitions and so on going back centuries.)

I'm part of humanity, not a "brother in Christ" or "creation of Allah most knowing and merciful" or any other such thing. My "rainbow" of friends - and family - grew out of simple open-mindedness while going about activities of living, helped by purposely residing in diversely-populated communities after having been raised in one. The most recent national election was at least a partial victory against the religious right wing and their puppet "non-denominational" megachurches, but an unwanted foot is still in the door of progress. All the noise kicked up about that demagogue wrapped in pop-psychology sheep's clothing being allowed to be part of the inauguration will help in the long run, though. There's still an astounding number of people who have no idea of the damage wrought by these International Crossroads Vineyard Church of Christ Fellowship Ministries as they set lures baited with plugged-in music and self-help paperbacks.

Let me be the first (surprisingly) to ask that this thread be removed. It was clearly started as a veiled attempt at proselytizing and doesn't belong on a site like this one.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,791 times
i went to a "white" church as a black person when i first moved here in union and the people sitting beside me got up and never came back. that is why people want to find a church where race is not an issue. i go to look for God, not to feel out of place. if there is a place where u can go to feel loved that has a mixed congregation, please tell me. i have nearly given up on the whole idea of church.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:33 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Better yet, disassociate from organized religion of any kind. Name one present-day armed conflict (or any throughout history, for that matter) that didn't carry at least some religious connotation. Find a form of societal repression which isn't justified by how a "sacred text" is selectively interpreted. .
And they do such terrible things as open hospitals, run schools in poor areas that actually educate, feed the poor, clothe those in need, ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati