Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Either adopt a dog or borrow a friend's and walk it downtown, in Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, or some other nice place with a lot of foot traffic. I noticed last year when my wife was volunteering at the Contemporary Arts Center downtown and I was just roaming the streets around fountain square that I was having short conversations with maybe a dozen people per hour, men and women, old and young. A disproportionate number seemed to be single women approximately my age who couldn't tell I am married because I was wearing gloves.

After hearing this, my single cousin asked if he could walk the pup some time. He loitered with her in Mt. Adams, on Ludlow in Clifton, and downtown near his house for a few weeks. He told me he met more interesting women in those weeks than he did at the bars on weekend nights for the past year. He is currently dating the best friend of a non-single woman that he chatted up while walking my dog.

There's nothing creepy about it as long as you don't lie. My cousin would just say that he was sick of the bar scene and wanted to enjoy the outdoors and street culture with like minded individuals.

My dog 'The Icebreaker':
Attachment 86568
Creepy? To the contrary, this posting is probably the nicest thing I've read all day. Although to be fair, my day included a trip to the podiatrist, and one of those novels where you can't quite decide to just give up on it in the middle. But you hate yourself for continuing to read.

Cute pup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 10:22 PM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Quote:
Even if I wanted to leave, it's not really a great thing to do. I just started my first professional job here and I need to at least be here for a few years to build up any sort of resume that would make me hireable. Though I believe that I'll find someone eventually if I put myself out there enough.

I've been hearing so much about Hyde Park being some kind of cesspool of 20-somethings, but never really knew where it was until last night. I guess I should go pay the place a visit to at least see another area of the city.
I never really felt that way about Hyde Park, its a much older crowd IMO. I would recommend the following from safest to most edgy. As a 20 something myself, subculture (as its a defining trait of our generation) is listed in parenthesis for your reference with bros being the post college frat boy types, the kinds of guys who greet you with "'sup brah" and their tanned fake blonde girlfriends:

1. Mt Adams (Bros/Yuppies)
2. Mt. Lookout (older, but a bit of a mix, mostly Yuppie - good sushi places here)
3. Downtown (Bros with a few very high end spots)
4. Mainstrasse Covington (Bros w/ a bit more Southern vibe)
5. Uptown (Clifton, Clifton Heights) (College Students/Post College students still hanging out)
6. Northside (Hipster/artists) - somewhat sketchy neighborhood in spots
7. Over the Rhine (Hipster/Yuppie, or Yupster - Hipsters that make good money - a neighborhood like Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Wicker Park, Chicago fits this bill - though OTR is way less safe and rapidly deteriorates fast outside of a few spots on Main and Vine)

You can't go wrong with number 1 or 2, 3 is a bit less safe, but very vibrant and quickly becoming the best nightlife spot if you don't mind the post college fratboy atmosphere. 5, 6 or 7 might be more appealing if you are in those scenes, with a strong warning on 7. While there are excellent bars in Over the Rhine like Neons, the Lackman, Japps and MOTR, the neighborhood is very much in the early stages of gentrification, be cautious.

Newport on the Levee really doesn't have too much going for it in terms of nightlife. Its kind of a suburbanite hang out spot, I don't really seeing it having as much appeal for an urban 20-something as the neighborhoods listed above.

----

Addendium: I just noticed this :

Quote:
I'll go for any place that is fun, though my issues revolve around gaming, martial arts, anime and Japanese culture.
Dancing Wasabi (which I guess just changed their name to "Cloud 9 Sushi") in Mt. Lookout. I hang out a bit with people in this scene [to be frank the movie Scott Pilgrim was taylor made for someone like me :P] and a few of my college friends go there on their Friday night when they have half price sushi nights. They are also open really really late like 4am .

Roxx Electrocafe in Clifton Heights is pretty good but I'm not sure how good a place it is to meet girls. It would fit your scene perfectly and is open quite late, though it would skew more towards college students.

Take a trip to Columbus (about 1:30 mins away), the scene there is better and there are places like this:

1) Bento Go-Go - http://www.yelp.com/biz/bento-go-go-columbus
2) Pochi Tea station - http://www.yelp.com/biz/pochi-tea-st...us#query:Asian
3) Momo - http://www.momogroup.net/ (this place is really awesome - I'd recommend it over the other two)

When I lived there I wished that Cincy was as youth-friendly as Columbus is, but its not far a drive/megabus trip at all .

Last edited by neilworms2; 10-26-2011 at 11:04 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Either adopt a dog or borrow a friend's and walk it downtown, in Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, or some other nice place with a lot of foot traffic. I noticed last year when my wife was volunteering at the Contemporary Arts Center downtown and I was just roaming the streets around fountain square that I was having short conversations with maybe a dozen people per hour, men and women, old and young.
A few years ago, I was visiting my cousin who was at Ohio State. Since I brought my dog along in the car, I decided to walk him around the campus. In twenty or thirty minutes, at least twenty people stopped and talked or stopped to pet my beagle.

Works every time as a method to meet people (as long as the dog is not an aggressive breed).

Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM

41 posts, read 76,831 times
As a twenty-something, I recommend checking out Final Fridays (the final Friday of each month) on Main Street (tomorrow night if you read this fast enough). All of the galleries stay open late, the food carts come out, lots of music, and it floods with a young crowd. Ask the kids down there where the action is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati